Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th March 2012, 18:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: A simple oil change that could have gone horribly wrong in my Figo

Over the weekend I covered close to 2000kms on the Figo. On both days after a hard day of driving I looked underneath near the oil sump and did notice a single trace of oil.

The car ran beautifully for entire 2000kms in 3 days and came back with flying colours. Oil level remained unchanged.

This drive should settle the issue completely and leave no doubt about the work done on the car.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 18:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Since I was to go on a long drive, the air filter was cleaned, coolant topped up, windshield washer fluid topped up, Ac filter cleaned, gear calibrated, brakes cleaned and car washed.
Out of curiosity, what do they do in gear calibration?
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 18:44   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Out of curiosity, what do they do in gear calibration?
From one of my earlier posts:

Quote:
Second was the gear issue. First they adjusted the cables. Another very easy DIY. When the car is lifted up you will see, near the gearbox, a plastic cover. When you open this cover the gear cables are visible. There's a release switch which is first released then they align the cable. This has do be done when car is in 3rd gear. Done.
It's done if a customer complains of hard to change gears. I guess it's just adjusting the play in the cables.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th March 2012 at 18:46.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 18:54   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's done if a customer complains of hard to change gears. I guess it's just adjusting the play in the cables.
A word of caution don't do this often, only if you have considerable difficulty in engaging gears do this. Fiddling with adjusters too many times will result in more trouble.

Typically a new car might require an adjustment at around 5-8 k kms (when the cable slack stabilizes). Once set right usually it will stay putt for atleast 30-40k kms. May need lil bit of lubrication if the provision is there.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 16:50   #20
BHPian

Commendable what Metro Ford did. I was just thinking - the procedure adopted by Metro Ford, was technically the correct one, with the reverse tap as someone has mentioned. This is a very simple procedure and is common knowledge when bolts shear mid-way leaving no room to be removed externally.
I was wondering what was the necessity to 'report to HO and wait for clearance' before this procedure?! It was not anything complicated that needed dismantling the engine or something.
I mean - a simple straight-forward 10 minute everyday job - simple drill and tap. Why report to the HO and wait for clearance?
Or am I missing something here?
Kaumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 10:03   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What remains a mystery is how this bolt actually broke? There are only 2 possibilities. One being the bolt itself was defective i.e. metallurgical issue in manufacture. Second being that the mechanic overtightened the bolt causing it to break. They did use a torque wrench but one will never know if it was set for the right torque meant for that bit as per service manual.

It goes to show that even a small minor oil change can end up leading to a lot of complication and a stressful experience. Luckily I can now go for that long drive which I almost had to cancel.

Alls well that ends well.
It has to be a material defect, bolts don't break like that. Even if it was over tightened (highly unlikely) bolt shouldn't break but it should strip the relatively softer threads in the alloy. I have experienced cheap bolts breaking in this fashion, but here its not a cheap bolt but probably a defective one.

Such things happen and for the weirdest of reasons, remember the thread where i posted about the rear torsion beam failure in our i10. No hits, no accidents, no dents, low mileage car, but the suspension beam broke. Probably material defect like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaumad View Post
I was wondering what was the necessity to 'report to HO and wait for clearance' before this procedure?! It was not anything complicated that needed dismantling the engine or something.
I mean - a simple straight-forward 10 minute everyday job - simple drill and tap. Why report to the HO and wait for clearance?
Or am I missing something here?
Probably two reasons.
1) The car was under warranty and Ford's policy required this to be done.
and/or
2) To inform Ford India of such a failure, it might be a one off instance or may not be. If its not and if sufficient numbers come up probably Ford can issue a recall to replace the sump bolts in a particular batch of cars made using suspect sump bolts.

Remember there was a similar case of connecting rod bolt replacement recall done for a batch of 1.3MJD engines. Don't remember if it was in India or abroad, it was discussed a long time ago here in Tbhp.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote