Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th March 2012, 17:18   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Wheel nut rounded off!

http://www.dontscrapit.com/Wisconsin...22-partpic.jpg

the safest bet is to use something like the above pic. a rotary grinding bit. use it to form some edges on the nut and use the right sized spanner to get the thing out.

before doing this, you can stick some surgical plaster inside the alloy nut hole to preven the grinding from blemishing the paint. you can dab the plaster with water just before the grinding.

if you are patient enough, you will get perfectly ok stud and alloy in the end. just a nut change and you are good to go.

Last edited by BuRnT RuBbEr : 29th March 2012 at 17:20.
BuRnT RuBbEr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 13:30   #32
BHPian

Hi Quadra,

I don't know if you've already got it off ! If you haven't then its worth while looking for a set of these or similar in india

http://community.craftsman.com/Craft...ws?tab=details

I have a set of these and they really work! You can probably find a local equivalent in India. See if you can locate one of these before you go the destructive route !
Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 02:11   #33
BHPian

Hi All,

This happened to me once. I took that car to 4 0r 5 mechanics who all suggested that I use a blow trouch. Finally one old puncture guy removed in 30 minutes flat. He first cleaned the area around the nut with water, tapped on the nut for sometime using a rod & hammer, then he dipped a small cloth on in diesel & put it aroung the nut for about 10-15 minutes. After which he tapped the nut once again & then used a sharp chisel with small contact & tapped opened the nut. All it costed me asked me was Rs.50/- for all this. Hope this also helps you to open the nut from the alloys. By the way this was no the alloys same as yours.

Thanks & Regards,
Jaggs.
jagadeesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:25   #34
BHPian

Just the thread.

The front left on my wife's Accent went flat and when the local tire guy tried changing the tire he realized that one of the nuts was not mounted correctly on the thread and was actually stuck and had eaten more than half the thread.

This was described to me over the phone, and by the time I reached there, those tire chaps had broken the bolt while taking off the tire, with hammer and all.

Cant blame them, they were trying to help, but now the hub has three bolts and the tire is mounted, but I plan to get it repaired asap.

Car's due for service on 16th April.

I assume some 'lathe' work might be required, will the Hyundai Service guys be able to do it or will it require a new hub?

Or should I get it done from a local lathe shop?
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 00:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

What happened? Has it been taken off? There are already so many solutions offered that I am refraining from adding any more unless all the above been tried and have failed. Please do inform us as to the latest status.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 17:53   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers
Cant blame them, they were trying to help, but now the hub has three bolts and the tire is mounted, but I plan to get it repaired asap.
I assume some 'lathe' work might be required, will the Hyundai Service guys be able to do it or will it require a new hub?
No lathe work is required. All it needs is a new stud (bolt) and you are ready to go.

I am back just now after getting the same problem reported by the OP rectified in my Baleno. A week or so ago, I decided to rotate the tyres like I do every 5K kms and noticed that one of the nuts on front-left tyre was just rotating - not coming off. If the wheels were steel, it would have been easy - just cut off the offending stud, put a new stud. But mine being alloys, access was an issue - got the nut gas-welded off, put a new stud and back in action. Ofcourse, the heat has affected the area around the offending nut on the alloys, but I did not have much of an option - with a Kodaikanal trip planned next week, I could not delay this. BTW, they apply grease all around the area of the nut before gas-cutting it - this helps reduce alloy-paint damage to an extent.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 20:45   #37
BHPian

Sorry for the delay folks. The following have been tried yet but no luck.

1. Wet sand method

2. Wrap a lot of sewing thread around the nut (similar to what plumbers do but they use a thick thread instead. Also they have a playground like area to work on and i have rare kind of access.

3. Used a metal wire to fill the gap between the spanner and nut.

4. Went to a 2 local mechanics, both tried to remove the nut...but failed.

I have now bought a small can of WD40 now for 90rs. Have sprayed it well on the nut and will leave it overnight tonight. Tomorrow, is another day
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 22:38   #38
BHPian

I had this problem in the middle of the Jaisalmer - Bikaner highway in the middle of the day. What a sumo driver suggested (and was finally successful at) was as follows:
1. Pour cold water on the stud -- careful not to let water drip into the nut
2. Use a cigarette lighter to heat the nut. Grab the nut with the spanner over a piece of cloth and rotate.

After about 20 mins of trying, it worked.

Only disclaimer, my wheel nut was not completely rounded -- it was slipping but not always. 1 or 2 corners retained the contour.
chinkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 02:14   #39
BHPian

I wonder why is it taking so much time. My dad's Desire's nut had a similar problem and Maruti service guys opened the disc from behind (I wasn't present there but that's how they do it to remove the bolt pin), cut the bolt and pulled it out. Put a new bolt in, the tyre on and a new nut. Simple! Charged Rs 250 at Rishab Maruti - Amritsar. Take it to them, they know how to do it. Infact, nuts going free due to high pressure with pneumatic guns is a common problem - mostly caused by them only. Thanks.
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 02:30   #40
BHPian

Quadra This might help you avoid welding, and get it removed easily.

Buy a new nut and use Araldite to stick the new nut over the old one.
Use lot of support to let new one to stick on the old one, let it dry over-night or 18 hours atleast and I am sure you can take it off easily.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 00:18   #41
BHPian

Apologize for the delay.

Sprayed WD40 generously and then went to a local puncture guy for him to try smaller set of keys (15#). That didn't work so i asked if he could use a chisel and hammer to tear the nut apart. After 50% of nut was out, he gave up due to very less space to work upon. With 50% damaged nut (mashed up) i was advised to use a blow torch.

Local welding guy confirmed that the job is doable and immediately started working on it. After 1hr and 3 different guys later - the job was finally done. The process involved blow torch > hammering > repeat for i-dont-know-how-many-times

I should have gone to the welding guy first as then he would have the benefit of looking at the nut and then deciding on where to start from and how to cut it out. Never mind now.

Regarding damage to the alloy - i will post some before and after pics at the earliest. You decide on whether i should swap the alloy with spare tire alloy or not.

Cost: 450/-

Need help with few things:

1. How much does a single / set of OEM nut and bolt cost? Approx? (I called trident chevy but couldnt reach their spare parts deptt)

2. If its cost-effective, should i replace all 15 nuts and bolts with new OEM nuts and bolts? I am damn scared with the drama and want peace of mind.

3. Should i buy the parts from dealer and get it installed outside? OR get installation done at the dealer? Any advantage / disadvantage here?

4. Are there any aftermarket nuts / nut & bolts combo which are better than OEM hardware? I recall reading about some kind of aftermarket nuts with a special key. Not sure if they are worth.

Cheers
Old 30th May 2012, 01:27   #42
BHPian

Here are the before pics

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012052900464.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012052900465.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012052900467.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012052900468.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-img2012052900469.jpg
Old 5th June 2012, 12:52   #43
BHPian

Here are the AFTER pics

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02052.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02053.jpg

Attachment 936806

Attachment 936807

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02065.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02066.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02068.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02069.jpg

Wheel nut rounded off!-dsc02056.jpg
Old 5th June 2012, 13:24   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^Hey, that's almost how one of my alloys too look after I had to resort to gas-welding to cut off a stud around which the nut was rotating without coming off !!!
Been lazy to post pics of the same.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 19:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

It'd be better to get a new single alloy from GM instead of trying to get the damaged one painted and hitting color matching woes!

Use the current one as a spare!

Btw great that the nut finally came off!

Did you try araldite method?
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote