Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 18:12   #46
BHPian
 
Thar4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 507
Thanked: 624 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
Sure Vishal, PM me yr contact no. We then can plan.
Looks like I can't send you PM, are you able to send me PM if yes please send me your number.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 00:48   #47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Drkakkilaya - ask them what did they do when they "checked the brakes" and let me know. Then please tell me how much distance your vehicle has covered. Brake pad life should be in the region of around 32000 kms. This is a case of brake groan. One reason could be the pads at the end of their life, the other reason is drying up of anti-vibration grease between the stainless steel backup plates behind the pads. The third reason is tire pressure below specification.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram sir, i had the similar noise from my front wheels during monsoons especially when I had been on a slushy track. The grinding noise would surface even on the run without application of brakes. They would generally get eliminated once we pressure wash the wheels. I was told by the ASC that it was because of some stones getting stuck between the dics and the brake pads.

Regards,
Sanjay
shetsanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 02:06   #48
BHPian
 
Floating Axle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 46
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post

Looks like I can't send you PM, are you able to send me PM if yes please send me your number.

Thanks,
Vishal.
I too can not send it thru my mobile app. Let me check thru desktop if I can. I get message 'permission denied' - can anyone suggest why so?
Floating Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 07:17   #49
BHPian
 
drkakkilaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mandya
Posts: 104
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Drkakkilaya - ask them what did they do when they "checked the brakes" and let me know. Then please tell me how much distance your vehicle has covered. Brake pad life should be in the region of around 32000 kms. This is a case of brake groan. One reason could be the pads at the end of their life, the other reason is drying up of anti-vibration grease between the stainless steel backup plates behind the pads. The third reason is tire pressure below specification.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you sir.
I was planning to speak to them today. I ll get back after that.
drkakkilaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 16:15   #50
BHPian
 
Thar4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 507
Thanked: 624 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
I too can not send it thru my mobile app. Let me check thru desktop if I can. I get message 'permission denied' - can anyone suggest why so?
I think this is because you are still Newbie, when you cross 25 post count you will be a BHPian and then you can send PM.

BTW I have raised my Thar's rear left issue to M&M and got call back as well. This time I have asked them to give me service appointment at Hadpsar facility. Let's see how it works.

If you are FB please send me message here . We can meet sometime.

Thanks,
Vishal
Thar4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 09:58   #51
BHPian
 
Floating Axle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 46
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post

I think this is because you are still Newbie, when you cross 25 post count you will be a BHPian and then you can send PM.
====================
Thanks,
Vishal
I Forwarded my cell thru msg on FB. Please check.

Neelesh
Floating Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 13:41   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 39
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Hi,

I recently purchased a Mahindra Thar Crde in Pune and right out of the showroom, the vehicle was pulling to the left. If I left the steering, it would take a sharp left turn on its own.

The alignment settings were within specifications.

However thanks to the advice from the original father of Thar, found out the that problem was being caused due to the left caster being less than half the caster on right in degrees even though it was within specs.

Got the caster rectified - now the left & right caster are not so off from each other and the vehicle keeps a straight line.

Hope my post is of help to anyone who might already have or in the future face similar issues.

Regards,
anda60213 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 09:10   #53
BHPian
 
Floating Axle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 46
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Would like to share that radiator coolant issue is resolved.
It was found out accidently. Hose pipe circlip bolt thread was the culprit.
Now driven 1000 km after correction. And no leakage issue.
Floating Axle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2013, 16:52   #54
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 512 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD2 View Post
Hi,

I took possession of a brand new Thar about two weeks back. Mine was jumping around even on the Gurgaon expressway at 80kph. Something seemed amiss. Compared my Thar with others and noticed the nose is actually way up. The gap between the wheels and the fender in the front and rear were equal.

I went thru the threads on the forum and understood that the torsion bar needs an adjustment. Went to the Mahindra A.S.S. yesterday. Firstly, they didnt understand what a torsion bar was, but they got it when I said 'it needs to dip a little'. Gave them the specifications that I found on the forum : 280mm +/- 5mm. And they were clueless what this specification was about.

What they did then was look around at another Thar, gauge the gap (counted in fingers - 11 fingers), adjusted the bolts and took it on a test ride. It listed a little to the left, a few more adjustments and it now seems fine.

Can someone please advise on the best approach I can take here.

I also did mention to them that a torsion bar adjustment would also imply re-alignment. They hooked the jeep to a alignment machine. The camber readings looked off to me, and the wheels displayed a noticeabe toe-in. I pointed it out, but the guys updated me that the toe-in is the norm on the vehicle.

Should I take my Thar for another wheel alignment in a non Mahindra facility?
I am sure your problem would have been fixed by now. A good place to get a Thar aligned is T Mart on SOhna Road, Gurgaon. Alignment data for Thar CRDe is fed in the system there and I have left enough shims in there at this facility.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 12:42   #55
XD2
BHPian
 
XD2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: HR-26
Posts: 58
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I am sure your problem would have been fixed by now. A good place to get a Thar aligned is T Mart on SOhna Road, Gurgaon. Alignment data for Thar CRDe is fed in the system there and I have left enough shims in there at this facility.
The earlir problem was sorted out. But your post comes just in time - was looking around for a decent place to get the alignment done
XD2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 13:06   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 512 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Wait for a couple of days, you wont be able to take your vehicle inside the service shop, some service road expansion is happening on Sohna road and they have completely blocked the entrance with a four feet deep trench in front of T Mart.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 16:11   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 39
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

With a sad and heavy heart and lot of frustration, I had sell off my Thar due to the lit of problems that kept occurring on an almost daily basis. When one pays a price of 8 lacs, one does not expect the following issues - neither in terms of numbers nor in terms of the types of problems.

a) The vehicle had accident dents even before it was delivered to me (which they rectified after I pointed it out to them)

b) Right out of the showroom, the vehicle had a major alignment issue which is mentioned in my previous post. I got that rectified as well.

c) The coolant hose pipe had not been fitted properly and hence the coolant leaked on a daily basis. It was rectified only after major escalation all the way to Mahindra

d) The starter wire was loose and my vehicle stalled leaving me stranded on the road.

e) On a daily basis I have found nuts and bolts falling in into the vehicle compartment leaving me to wonder where these are falling from and what next will fall apart.

This last bit pushed me over the edge and it makes me unhappy to be reporting that the vehicle I purchased as a dream vehicle turned out to be my nightmare.

I decided to sell it (just after 3 months of purchase) before deteriorated further.

I don't know if others have faced so many issues at such a frequency.

Regards,
anda60213 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:19   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
desertfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurgaon, Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,177
Thanked: 512 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

It is expected. Poor quality and poor finishcoupled with few inspections during assembly and PDI Mahindra must pull up their socks but its a Jeep thing you know.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 02:55   #59
BHPian
 
amolpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 1,276 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anda60213 View Post
With a sad and heavy heart and lot of frustration, I had sell off my Thar due to the lit of problems that kept occurring on an almost daily basis. When one pays a price of 8 lacs, one does not expect the following issues - neither in terms of numbers nor in terms of the types of problems.

I decided to sell it (just after 3 months of purchase) before deteriorated further.

I don't know if others have faced so many issues at such a frequency.

Regards,
Sad to hear about your plight with the Thar. I don't know whether you gave up too early. May be if you had worked out all the issues, you would have had a chance to enjoy what the jeep had to offer. From what I see, the issues you mentioned are not things that can't be fixed, but to each his own. Not that I disagree that there are shortcomings on the quality aspect of the Thar, but as long as things can be fixed by the manufacturer, I think the situation can be managed.

best of luck with whatever you buy next. Mind sharing how much it fetched (PM me) with just 3 months of use (a friend of mine was exploring the idea of buying a used Thar).
amolpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 10:06   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 39
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Thar : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Sad to hear about your plight with the Thar. I don't know whether you gave up too early. May be if you had worked out all the issues, you would have had a chance to enjoy what the jeep had to offer. Mind sharing how much it fetched (PM me) with just 3 months of use (a friend of mine was exploring the idea of buying a used Thar).
It's always a question to ponder on whether one gives up too early - be it cars or be it any other relationship. For me, if I pay 8 lacs of my hard earned money (which did not come easily to me) - I expect basic functions to be defect free. Which sadly was not the case. And then I was living in the constant doubt and fear as to what will fall next. What if the engine fell off, or the gearbox fell off or the axle collapsed because some bolts were not fitted properly After that the damage would have been even more and my resale value would have gone down even further. So I looked around for a buyer and found a reasonable deal and sold it. I am nto sure I can PM.
anda60213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions renamo Technical Stuff 4293 29th November 2016 21:25
Accent / Viva CRDi: Issues & Solutions manishk83 Technical Stuff 61 13th April 2015 14:00
Child safety issues and Solutions sreenidhibr Street Experiences 55 29th April 2013 18:18
Taking the Thar to the 'Thar'. 2000 kms, 3 childhood friends & an epic roadtrip Vroom barabar! Travelogues 30 25th March 2013 18:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks