Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th April 2012, 14:21   #1
BHPian

Default Chevrolet Beat : A/C not cooling?

I have a Beat Petrol Car base model which is having AC cooling issue since day one. During hot summer in day time the ac doesnt cool at all during traffic or neutral gear. I had bought this car in Jan, 2011 from Trident Banaglore
  1. Initially i was told by trident service centre that gas was filled less by the compnay so they have topped it up and this should resolve the issue.
  2. Issue recurred and i was told that there could be minor leak, again topped up
  3. Third time they cleaned the filter and gave back
  4. This time after one year i complained again and after thorough check they found two issues:
    • Some electrical issue in one of the cooling fans which they have fixed, this was causing issue during day for consistent cooling
    • For identifying leak they have put fluoroscent gas in the AC so that leaks could be identified in a period of 2-3 months during the run of the car as its a minor leak
I am trying to know what could be the probable cause and how to take this with chevrolet.
Also, as a consumer what is my right as the car is covered under 3 yrs warranty package and its a repeat problem.

Trident Chevrolet is saying once the leak is identified then they would fix those parts. Is replacing complete AC unit along with other components like compressor, condensor. evaporator a solution?

Regards,
Sanjeev
SanjeevKalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 14:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Beat Car AC not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevKalra View Post
[*]This time after one year i complained again and after thorough check they found two issues:[list][*]Some electrical issue in one of the cooling fans which they have fixed, this was causing issue during day for consistent cooling
AC is still not working after this fix? Usually the condenser fan if not working will cause the issue you mentioned. But even after rectifying the issue if AC is not cooling while at stand still, then you need to investigate further.

Identify the issue, if its the fan just replace it. No need for complete replacement.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 14:44   #3
BHPian

Hi Jaggu Sir,

Will get the car back tomorrow. After that i will be able to verify. As per trident they have done 2 runs and AC is cooling to a temp of 6.8 degreee C. Also, if the issue still recurs after some time, will it make sense to file a consumer court complaint in this regard as its deficiency of service and complaints are documented.

Regards,
Sanjeev
Old 4th April 2012, 14:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I just dealt with my Corsa's A/c problem at Trident Chevrolet. It was traced to a leak in the pipe from the compressor that comes into the car. IIRC, that's the high-pressure pipe.

Ask them to top up the refrigerant, switch on the a/c and pour a soapy solution over the 2 pipes : compressor-inside the car and compressor-condenser. If there is a leak, there'll be bubbles over that area. That should fix the issue.

Is this the Kalyan Nagar branch?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 14:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I just dealt with my Corsa's A/c problem at Trident Chevrolet. It was traced to a leak in the pipe from the compressor that comes into the car. IIRC, that's the high-pressure pipe.

Ask them to top up the refrigerant, switch on the a/c and pour a soapy solution over the 2 pipes : compressor-inside the car and compressor-condenser. If there is a leak, there'll be bubbles over that area. That should fix the issue.

Is this the Kalyan Nagar branch?
Yes, its Kalyan Nagar branch and Manager Naveen and Sr Manager Rajesh are looking into this issue.

They are saying they have put fluorescent dye in the gas to identify the issue. As its minor leak it usually takes 2-3 months for my car gas levels to fall down. I will call them and ask to check the soapy solution approach also.

Regards,
Sanjeev
Old 4th April 2012, 15:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They are saying they have put fluorescent dye in the gas to identify the issue. As its minor leak it usually takes 2-3 months for my car gas levels to fall down. I will call them and ask to check the soapy solution approach also.
2-3 months?! Non-sense! Ask them to check by running the a/c and spraying the solution. It'll take 2 minutes if there's indeed any leak in the pipes.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 15:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
2-3 months?! Non-sense! Ask them to check by running the a/c and spraying the solution. It'll take 2 minutes if there's indeed any leak in the pipes.
This test is done and they are not able to find the leak. Still in 3-4 months the gas goes down for my car.

Regards,
Sanjeev
Old 4th April 2012, 16:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This test is done and they are not able to find the leak. Still in 3-4 months the gas goes down for my car.

Regards,
Sanjeev
If the AC condenser fan was not working it will not cool irrespective of AC gas levels. So were they just topping up as part of a wrong diagnosis in the first place?

I would suggest you to hold on, check for yourself if the issue is resolved after the electrical fix. Then decide what needs to be done.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 18:30   #9
BHPian

Soap solution method is the best and reliable method to check for refrigerant leaks. If your car is under warranty, and the problem is recurring, try to get the whole thing replaced. Once warranty period is over, you will have to pay for the gas recharges. Nowadays they use CFC-free refrigerant and they are very expensive.
Sometimes clutch solenoid for compressor fails,This also leads to complete loss of cooling, though this doesn't seem to be your case.
nozzlering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 18:54   #10
BHPian

Its a very minute leak suspected by trident chevrolet. I am getting the car back tomorrow and they have put the dye for identifying the leak if any. will observe for 2 months as warranty is still there as part of 3 yrs service package. If issue recurs then i might need support from some of our senior team bhpians to get this issue addressed.
Old 5th April 2012, 21:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Still in 3-4 months the gas goes down for my car.
Quote:
gas was filled less by the compnay
Quote:
there could be minor leak
Are you sure? I highly suspect the authenticity of the diagnosis. AC gas leak + Electrical issues in a one year old car??? I think they are simply telling the usual causes of low cooling, instead of actually checking whats wrong.

As its a persistent issue, next time, ask for your presence while diagnosis. Recheck for gas leak, and confirm the fan is working. One area to check is to/from pipes and joints of evaporator coils, inside the dash board.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 18:25   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Beat : A/C not cooling?

Hi all,

i have got the car back from Trident. The cooling is working as expected but i need to watch for 3-4 months till cooling goes down again and then to identify the minor leaks where the UV colored dye will appear.

Thanks all of you for help. will keep you posted
Old 16th April 2012, 10:43   #13
BHPian

Hi all,

could someone share the details of general motors India CEO or higher ups as i want to share the whole issue of ac in my beat car with them and also ask if there's a policy of recall or what's best that could be done with my car.

currently AC is working fine which usually happens when i get the car back from service centre but i wish to know if GM can replace the complete car as i have gone through lot of pain with them and still the car is under observation for cooling.

Regards,
Sanjeev
Old 25th April 2012, 23:30   #14
BHPian

Hi all,

does engine callibration help in ac performance improvement. i remember when beat petrol was launched then GM came with a patch due to gear ratio causing frequent ac cut off, this was rectified in 2011 models of the car. any suggestions
Old 26th April 2012, 09:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

does engine callibration help in ac performance improvement. i remember when beat petrol was launched then GM came with a patch due to gear ratio causing frequent ac cut off, this was rectified in 2011 models of the car. any suggestions

I am not sure but AC is some cars do have a cut off at WOT. Maybe your car is set lower than WOT RPM. Check when you rev close to 4k if the AC compressor trips. IT should trip at about 4.5k. I am not giving this information specific to Beat but most cars.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote