Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th April 2012, 16:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pump the brakes for longer brake life?

Slamming the brakes is anyway not recommended except in absolutely emergency scenarios - more so especially when your modern car doesnt have ABS, because it can skid or aquaplane depending on the surface conditions. Case in point, my Scorpio (whose brakes are not great) once skidded terribly on a dry road when a fool on a motorbike lurched across the road in front of me and I was forced to slam the brakes.

However, if your modern car has ABS it is perfectly ok to slam the brakes on when required - especially in the Indian driving conditions when the occasional loon lands up in the middle of the road when least expected! Case in point - on a recent trip to Chennai, I must have been doing about 120 on a particular stretch when an elderly cow decided to just amble across the highway. The Yeti of course, being a modern vehicle with all sorts of safety stuff, barely turned a hair when I twiddled and twaddled the wheel to avoid the poor cow and slammed the brakes too simultaneously, to slow down. No worries there!

However, having said all of the above, it is always better to practice anticipatory defensive driving to keep cool and of course to preserve your car as well as your sanity!

This statement about pumping the brakes was applicable in the old Mahindra Jeeps and Ambys etc, none of which had any brakes to speak of! In the rainy seasons especially, in the old days, we used to keep pumping the brakes now and then just to shed the water from them, especially when we had been through deep puddles of water or waterlogged roads. Those old drum brakes were notoriously dicey because if you didnt pump them in conditions as above, at times, the car was liable to slew around on account of only one or other of the brakes taking effect!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 17:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Slamming the brakes is anyway not recommended except in absolutely emergency scenarios - more so especially when your modern car doesnt have ABS, because it can skid or aquaplane depending on the surface conditions. Case in point, my Scorpio (whose brakes are not great) once skidded terribly on a dry road when a fool on a motorbike lurched across the road in front of me and I was forced to slam the brakes.

However, if your modern car has ABS it is perfectly ok to slam the brakes on when required - especially in the Indian driving conditions when the occasional loon lands up in the middle of the road when least expected! Case in point - on a recent trip to Chennai, I must have been doing about 120 on a particular stretch when an elderly cow decided to just amble across the highway. The Yeti of course, being a modern vehicle with all sorts of safety stuff, barely turned a hair when I twiddled and twaddled the wheel to avoid the poor cow and slammed the brakes too simultaneously, to slow down. No worries there!

However, having said all of the above, it is always better to practice anticipatory defensive driving to keep cool and of course to preserve your car as well as your sanity!

This statement about pumping the brakes was applicable in the old Mahindra Jeeps and Ambys etc, none of which had any brakes to speak of! In the rainy seasons especially, in the old days, we used to keep pumping the brakes now and then just to shed the water from them, especially when we had been through deep puddles of water or waterlogged roads. Those old drum brakes were notoriously dicey because if you didnt pump them in conditions as above, at times, the car was liable to slew around on account of only one or other of the brakes taking effect!
Shankar - Looks like you have got the wrong understanding of this topic. The SA has adviced the OP to pump the brakes after you have parked the car and not while it is moving.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 17:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

I stand corrected! Clearly my understanding is totally incorrect on this particular scenario! Thank you for pointing it out!

However, what I ve plugged in holds good when the car is on the move!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Shankar - Looks like you have got the wrong understanding of this topic. The SA has adviced the OP to pump the brakes after you have parked the car and not while it is moving.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is interesting, and I might be the first person on this thread (could be wrong though) who thinks, there might be some credence in what he said.

The Booster stays in tensed state under vacuum from both sides of the diaphragm. The tension/pressure is due to vacuum itself. However you get out of this vacuum state, the pedal becomes hard, but the booster itself remains under lower pressure.

With the engine switched off, you press the pedal once or twice, all you are doing is to release the booster of this vacuum pressure.

Interesting indeed, thats why team-bhp is really a wealth of information.
1100D is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote