Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th August 2013, 13:25   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: What about train differentials ??

Originally Posted by anoopap View Post
But what about trains ?? their axle and wheels are a single solid iron piece. So how do they accommodate for changing circumference on a turn.
Very informative Anoop. I never gave thought to train curves as I thought that since curves of tracks are not sharp, they may not need differential speed at wheels. Also, I believe that tracks are placed at different levels on a curve so as to combat the centrifugal force of the moving train.
Thanks a lot.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: How does your car take a turn smoothly - The Differential

Originally Posted by mchanna View Post
Just wondering is it the same technique used for AWD?
The centre differential in an AWD car behaves exactly in the same way (e.g. the Fortuner, Grand Vitara, Pajero). Some AWD vehicles, however, don't use a centre diff to transmit power to the opposite axle, but make use of either a clutch pack or a viscous coupling to even out the difference in rotation between front and rear axles (e.g. the Tucson, CR-V, XUV500).

What I can't figure out is how a variable and unequal torque split happens in AWD systems, whether with or without centre differentials employed. Under normal driving conditions, a differential is known to have an equal torque split between 2 wheels running at the same speed on similar surfaces.
  • How then, does a car achieve unequal torque split between front and rear axles, esp. in vehicles with a centre diff (e.g. Porsche Cayenne, VW Touareg)?
  • How does it help to have an unequal torque split? and
  • How does one quantify / calculate this torque split?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote