Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 09:49   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: AP/KL
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Unhappy Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

My Hyundai i20 has been acting weird last night. I was trying to park the car near my house and after going reverse, the gear got locked. It would not engage neutral or any other gear and remained stuck in reverse gear. We tried for sometime to see if it would budge but it doesnt seem to be working. For the past one week ive been noticing a slight amount of difficulty in changing to certain gears at times but it wasnt too bad until last night when it got stuck.

For a little history the car had been in an accident few months back and the gearbox casing and some gears were replaced and it was running perfectly fine for over 2 months now after that. So im not sure if this problem has anything to do with that.

Has anyone faced an issue of this sort? Any thoughts of how or what i should be looking for? Im going to call up hyundai service center today but i guess they would have to tow it. But even then somebody would have to hold the clutch all the way.

PS: I saw that there was a similar thread for i10 from few years back but that seems like it was a known issue and Hyundai themselves were providing free fix. Hence i created a separate thread for this one.
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27th April 2012, 09:54   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,781
Thanked: 1,410 Times
Default Re: i20 stuck in reverse gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99 View Post
My Hyundai i20 has been acting weird last night. I was trying to park the car near my house and after going reverse, the gear got locked. It would not engage neutral or any other gear and remained stuck in reverse gear. We tried for sometime to see if it would budge but it doesnt seem to be working. For the past one week ive been noticing a slight amount of difficulty in changing to certain gears at times but it wasnt too bad until last night when it got stuck.

For a little history the car had been in an accident few months back and the gearbox casing and some gears were replaced and it was running perfectly fine for over 2 months now after that. So im not sure if this problem has anything to do with that.

Has anyone faced an issue of this sort? Any thoughts of how or what i should be looking for? Im going to call up hyundai service center today but i guess they would have to tow it. But even then somebody would have to hold the clutch all the way.

PS: I saw that there was a similar thread for i10 from few years back but that seems like it was a known issue and Hyundai themselves were providing free fix. Hence i created a separate thread for this one.

Are you able to shift it back once you have the car switched off?
Sounds like hydraulics failure.
You should get that checked.


EDIT:
Before you have it towed out to HSS, try and get hold of a local guy , describe the problem to him.
I had faced a similar thing some time ago, and had to pay 1900 bucks for towing to the service station, but only because ford parts are not easily available outside.
Otherwise, my mechanic had identified the problem and given the fix.

Hyundai parts have easier availability, I recall(but I speak from experience with the i10 and the santro.You can check for the i20)

Last edited by mayankk : 27th April 2012 at 10:06.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 09:57   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: AP/KL
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: i20 stuck in reverse gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Are you able to shift it back once you have the car switched off?
Sounds like hydraulics failure.
You should get that checked.
I did try it with engine on and off and even moving the car around a bit. But It doesnt seem to be moving out of that gear.
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,236
Thanked: 546 Times
Default Re: i20 stuck in reverse gear

First check if there is any fluid leakage under the car. Are you able to engage the clutch at all ? In any case the tranny needs to be opened and checked. Usual culprits are a fried clutch plate, leaking clutch fluid , transmission linker et all.

A friends car had the same problem and it turned out to be a fried clutch plate. Now you know where to start from. Get the car towed to the garage and have them open up the tranny and get it checked.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:11   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,116
Thanked: 780 Times
Default Re: i20 stuck in reverse gear

Its either a hydraulics failure or a broken bearing. You will have to get the car towed (Not sure how will they manage it), if its a hydraulics you can see (once opened) that the fluid would have spread all over.

Here i am assuming you have checked the under-body and have not found anything broken and hanging. Although if the connecting rod is broken it manifests itself in a different way and does not lock the gear lever.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:15   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: AP/KL
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: i20 stuck in reverse gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
First check if there is any fluid leakage under the car. Are you able to engage the clutch at all ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Here i am assuming you have checked the under-body and have not found anything broken and hanging.
Now thats something i havent checked. Though i was able to engage clutch I havent looked for any possible leakage. It was night when it happened. So may be ill have more luck looking for these now. Will check that and update here soon.

Last edited by liquidmetal99 : 27th April 2012 at 10:17.
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 22:39   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solapur (MH-13)
Posts: 614
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

Allow the Gear Oil to settle down and then check whether the gear lever can be moved to neutral position. This will help if the gear oil level is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806
You will have to get the car towed (Not sure how will they manage it),
Since its FWD, there is no problem in towing the front end up.


EDIT: -

@Rahul
I mentioned this since the Gear had stuck in a (Reverse) Gear and hence the Front wheels will not rotate (if the clutch is not pressed).
In this case, the Rear wheels are free to rotate (if handbrake is released) and the car can be towed only with Front end up (IIRC).

I hope I made myself clear.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 27th April 2012 at 22:59. Reason: Edited for answering Rahul's quote.
IndigoXLGrandDi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 22:49   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 801
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

Since its FWD, there is no problem in towing the front end up.
A quick OT - is there a problem towing FWD with rear up? Or an RWD with front end up?

--Rahul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 23:24   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: AP/KL
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

So I did call up the Hyundai roadside assistance number and after explaining the problem they came with the tow truck. I explained him what the problem was and he tried fiddling around with the gear lever for a while and after a few minutes he managed to release it. I did a few test drives and tried changing it back forth couple of times to confirm and it was all fine. So in the end it didn't have to be towed. Also I checked for leakage inside the bonnet and under and there was no sign of any. So for now it's working fine but im a bit worried if it'll happen again and where it would happen.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2012 at 12:03. Reason: PM coming up
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 23:26   #10
BHPian
 
carfreak77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 304
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
A quick OT - is there a problem towing FWD with rear up? Or an RWD with front end up?

--Rahul
I believe in a FWD, the is no problem towing with front end up. Because its a FWD, the rear wheels rotate freely(provided handbrake not engaged). So, its better to tow a FWD with the front end up. If you tow with the rear end up, you are forcing the front wheels to move (which could offer more resistance). The same logic applies for a RWD. Better to tow with the rear end up.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 05:43   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,116
Thanked: 780 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmetal99 View Post
So for now it's working fine but im a bit worried if it'll happen again and where it would happen.
Its better to get it checked, why did it got stuck in the first place, what did the guy who came said? It can be early sign of impending trouble (or can be false alarm as well). Unless its checked there is no guarantee if it wont happen again.

Would advise not to take this car on highway for sometime, within the city limits should not be that big a problem.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 07:22   #12
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 598
Thanked: 193 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

Liquidmetal99, check gear oil. Get the end joints of gear lever wire (inside the cabin as well as in the engine bay) lubricated. This sticking issue is mostly a lubrication problem.

This problem sometimes crops up when parking the car on a slope & stopping the engine with reverse still engaged. The full weight of the car comes on that gear & it can be difficult to dis-engage.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 08:51   #13
BHPian
 
wild child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: chennai
Posts: 161
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

Hi liquid
If my hunch is right, then the problem should be with the reverse gear engagement lift knob that is present near the neck of the gear stick. A faulty release spring in that lift Knob may be the problem creator.
Please get it checked and rectified if necessary.
Cheers
wild child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 09:37   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: AP/KL
Posts: 88
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I wasn't sure if I should take it to Hyundai since right now I don't have any sort of problem to show them. But since everyone here is suggesting, I'll definitely get that checked.
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 10:13   #15
vij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 248
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Hyundai i20 stuck in reverse gear

I had the same problem with my old maruti 800 about 16 years back. Had to drive it home in reverse at around 11:30pm for a distance of 8kms.
vij is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reverse Gear ramkya1 Technical Stuff 26 10th August 2012 10:16
How to remove stuck gear knob from an M800 Joe-Ker Technical Stuff 10 29th March 2011 21:48
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54
i10 gear stuck in reverse gear drkunaldas Technical Stuff 33 23rd November 2009 02:21
Bullet Std 350- stuck gear topedgemonk Motorbikes 2 17th January 2009 22:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks