Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th January 2013, 21:05   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Accord Starting & Throttle Problem

UPDATE:

The issue has cropped up again, and this time I saw it first hand.

Just 10 minutes back, my dad called me down and told me that the car was refusing to start. This while the car was outside the gate and he wanted to park it in the driveway.

I tried it myself. Slotting the key in, the instrument panel lights up alright, the door ajar beep sounds, the music starts playing. Turning the key upto the last position before cranking, everything is fine. The moment I try to crank, there is no crank. Only a click sound from the engine bay, and another click (slightly lower than the previous one) upon the releasing the key back into position. Tried it a couple of times, same result. Did not try it anymore fearing any damage that I may cause.

When I try to crank, the music does go off as it should. I turned the volume up to see if there is any abnormal behavior. But everything seems fine. The car is regularly used and the battery is not too old. So I don't think it is an issue with the battery. If that was the case, there would at least have been a crank.

Finally we both had to push the car into the driveway. Pushing an Accord for 30 meters is no fun. No need to exercise tomorrow morning I guess.

Going to call Honda first thing in the morning tomorrow. But I would dearly like some opinions from members about what the problem might be.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 00:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^ I guess, its mostly starter at fault, get it checked tomorrow.

Do one thing, try after an hour or so and see if it starts or not. The same thing is happening with my car since a month, When i try cranking, it all i hear is click sound. But in 2nd attempt, engine comes to life.

The problem got acute 2 times in the past, where car didn't started for 10-15 minutes, but then started without any issues.

But now a days, mostly it starts in first crank, but sometime, i do hear clicking sound in first crank and in 2nd it comes to life.

I will be getting it checked soon, Do update me, What honda guys tell you about the issue.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 00:36   #18

hey..I seem to be having the same kind of problem with my V6 accord..when the key is inserted in the ignition switch in position 2,the airbags warnings comes on and then the door ajar rings in an intermittent manner,but the car starts..but at times u just get a whirring sound..i presume is the switch on the starter motor which I had replaced and the car worked fine.I had the honda guys check it up but there was no error messages.Surges in acceleration also occur and at times there is some white smoke emitted from the exhausts.I am afraid to give it to the honda guys because all this started happening after the car went in for a routine service.I would like someone who has faced this problem to enlighten me on the solution.
bravismah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 00:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
^^ I guess, its mostly starter at fault, get it checked tomorrow.

Do one thing, try after an hour or so and see if it starts or not. The same thing is happening with my car since a month, When i try cranking, it all i hear is click sound. But in 2nd attempt, engine comes to life.

The problem got acute 2 times in the past, where car didn't started for 10-15 minutes, but then started without any issues.

But now a days, mostly it starts in first crank, but sometime, i do hear clicking sound in first crank and in 2nd it comes to life.

I will be getting it checked soon, Do update me, What honda guys tell you about the issue.

Cheers,
Sameer
Yes Sameer, it was similar when it had happened the last time. Upon trying for the second time after 10-15 minutes, it had started. However, this time I am getting the issue sorted once and for all. Will revert back tomorrow.
Old 11th January 2013, 03:05   #20
BHPian

To me, it sounds like a weak battery or Starter Motor's issue. Last week only, out driver tried cranking up our Merc 220 and didn't start but all other systems were working fine like radio, command screen, dashboard light etc. We called up Merc dealer. They scanned the ECU via OBD and everything was found normal. Then they checked the battery and found out that battery terminal was weak.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 11th January 2013 at 03:06.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 06:42   #21
BHPian

Battery & connections seem to be the only issues to me. You should have a multimeter & check the battery voltage while cranking. Anything less than 10.5 volts means you need a new battery.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 07:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
To me, it sounds like a weak battery or Starter Motor's issue. Last week only, out driver tried cranking up our Merc 220 and didn't start but all other systems were working fine like radio, command screen, dashboard light etc. We called up Merc dealer. They scanned the ECU via OBD and everything was found normal. Then they checked the battery and found out that battery terminal was weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Battery & connections seem to be the only issues to me. You should have a multimeter & check the battery voltage while cranking. Anything less than 10.5 volts means you need a new battery.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will check the battery now.

A question here. If battery is the problem, is it normal for it to just stop cranking one day? Wouldn't it have shown up earlier with a symptom like the car taking more than 1 crank to start?
Old 11th January 2013, 11:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
A question here. If battery is the problem, is it normal for it to just stop cranking one day? Wouldn't it have shown up earlier with a symptom like the car taking more than 1 crank to start?
The clicks you hear when you turn the key are the sounds of the starter relay, meaning it is OK. Starter isn't getting sufficient supply to crank. Before delving into CKP sensor etc, check your battery charge when engine is off, cranking and running. Anything less than 11V is cause for a new battery. Symptoms of very low battery charge would be stuff like horn sounding ill, indicators dimming, etc. Since the starter motor draws heavy current, starting problems manifest early, while stuff like the stereo work fine due to low current consumption.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 11:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
The clicks you hear when you turn the key are the sounds of the starter relay, meaning it is OK. Starter isn't getting sufficient supply to crank. Before delving into CKP sensor etc, check your battery charge when engine is off, cranking and running. Anything less than 11V is cause for a new battery. Symptoms of very low battery charge would be stuff like horn sounding ill, indicators dimming, etc. Since the starter motor draws heavy current, starting problems manifest early, while stuff like the stereo work fine due to low current consumption.
Thanks, that makes sense. I did get the battery checked at Amaron pit-stop, and they said the same thing. It's the OEM battery and has lasted for almost 3 years.

Got a new battery now. All is well.
Old 11th January 2013, 23:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. I did get the battery checked at Amaron pit-stop, and they said the same thing. It's the OEM battery and has lasted for almost 3 years.

Replacing the battery, sorted out the issue ?

Do check it for 2-3 days and let me know. I checked my battery 2 days back and it showed 11 on meter.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 23:33   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sorry for chipping in late. When the battery of my sx4 died it showed the same symptoms. As it is a drive by wire setup, even the throttle motor was not functioning the starter relay used to click, however there was no juice in the battery to power the motor. I replaced the battery with the one on my wagonR, and the car cranked at the first go without problems. Nice to hear that your problem was as simple as a dead battery.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 23:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Replacing the battery, sorted out the issue ?

Do check it for 2-3 days and let me know. I checked my battery 2 days back and it showed 11 on meter.
At the moment everything is seems to be OK. Will use the car extensively over the weekend and report back whether things are indeed fine.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Temperatures have a major role to play in cranking amperes. The colder it is, the worse-off the cranking amps. Usually in our tropiclal country the summers are so warm that minor defects with the battery gets overlooked as it still continues to provide just enough power for cranking due to warm temperatures. It's in the cooler temperatures of winter that the problems come to the fore.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 10:35   #29
BHPian

Its in all probability the starter motor solenoid switch that is acting wierd and since there are no sensors relating to starter motor, no error are being reported. I faced the similiar clicking and no cranking problem in my M-800 and the problem was solved with replacing the solenoid switch.
EFF-EIGHT-BEE is offline   Reply With Quote