Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th April 2006, 13:59   #1
BHPian

Default Indica problem

Hello all,

I have this problem with my INDICA DLS while driving with the AC on, i have observerd that when i stop (engine not turned off) at the red signal and just when i try to move ahead on green , my car suddenly stops (like when it stops when the gear and clutch not engaged properly).
now, when i try to start the car, it does not start and the only alternative is to push the car and start it in second gear.

This has happend quite a few time now. Shown it to Tata mechanics twice and everytime they tell that the problem is solved, but the problem still exists. it happens mostly in hot weather.
i have checked the battery, oil , coolant ect. everthing is ok.

can anybody suggest the solution to the problem?
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 14:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm... is your battery properly charged? Also check whether the battery light keeps coming on intermittently or even continuously when you are driving.

Otherwise, also check that when you car stops in the middle of the road and you try to restart it do you shut off all the accessories? Remember, even when your car shuts off the headlights, the parking lights, the music system and even the AC blower fan and the radiator fan keep running on the battery. That is a major drain on the battery which may then fail to crank the car. Ensure that all these are off.

By the way the problem is elsewhere. Why the car stops all of a sudden in the middle of the road? In fact I will add to your problem statement. This is happening with me as well and is flumoxing me a lot of late. My car gets hot during those typical traffic crawls when for long hours I just have to drive using the clutch and the brakes on the 1st gear. Then when I halt and then again try to move on all of a sudden the car seems to loose all its powers... it all of a sudden feels like a ton of brick... and then when I try to release the clutch a little more and press the accelerator a bit more it simply stalls! Even after a restart it sometimes refuses to budge and needs a lot of coaxing to get it moving. I do not understand why it happens. As I have seen it happens only when the car gets very hot!

Any ideas people?
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 14:24   #3
BHPian

My Battery is perfect, i usually check it every 2 months. By the way , is your car indica too?
Old 6th April 2006, 14:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
My Battery is perfect, i usually check it every 2 months. By the way , is your car indica too?
Yes... and a new one at that. I mean less than a year old.

Btw, your battery may be perfect but still it may fail to shoulder too much of load. If all those things that I mentioned are running when you try to crank it may fail to take all the load. Just switching them all off for a while will help. Of these you won't be able to do anything about the radiator fan, but the rest you can switch off.

OT: to know how good your battery status is just check what happens when you try to start the car and the music system is on. Does it stop for a moment and then again comes back to life as soon as the car comes to life? Then the battery is not exactly in perfect condition. A new/ok condition battery will be able to shoulder both the loads at the same time.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th April 2006 at 14:30.
Old 6th April 2006, 14:30   #5
BHPian

have u checked with your tata dealer then, what do they have to say??
Old 6th April 2006, 14:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
have u checked with your tata dealer then, what do they have to say??
I have not as yet. This is a very new development. Moreover it may have a simple solution let me see... Anyhow the Autofin (my dealer) are holding a camp on the coming sunday. May be I will talk to them then.
Old 6th April 2006, 14:34   #7
BHPian

i had a similar problem with my indica too . i took it to mechanics and they told me that there was problem with my battery . i got the battery charged from a local shop and there was no prob after that . it happened as more current was given to the blower and less left for the self .it can also happen when the car is hot
garvit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 14:36   #8
BANNED

As I understand, the starter probably needs to be upgraded to a 1.1 kW unit. If you car is under warranty, you can get it replaced free of cost - Tata Motors have issued a circular to all their dealers to this effect.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 14:51   #9
BHPian

My Car is not under warranty, purchase date is november 2002.
Do u mean i am driving the car with a starter of a lower KW?
how to find out? i will have it replaced immediately
Old 6th April 2006, 15:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
As I understand, the starter probably needs to be upgraded to a 1.1 kW unit. If you car is under warranty, you can get it replaced free of cost - Tata Motors have issued a circular to all their dealers to this effect.
Tell me something more about it please... Is it for all models (petrol, diesel)? What is the exact problem and how is it being rectified?
Old 6th April 2006, 15:58   #11
BANNED

This is for diesel cars - there is a circular issued by Tata Motors to their workshops for starter replacement for hot cranking problems. The 1.1 kW unit replaces the old 0.8 kW unit.

This information has been taken from the indica-users Yahoogroup.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/indica-users
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote