Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th May 2012, 12:49   #1
BHPian

Default Mahindra Xylo E4 - Piston Damaged but how ?

Guys need your help,

I have a Xylo E4 bought in July 2008 and have done 40,000 kms so far.
About 20 days ago, while my father was travelling in it, the vehicle developed some engine problems and stopped in the highway and had to be towed to the Mahindra service station ( SKS Automobiles in Salem Tamilnadu).

The Service station said it was a problem in the engine and took nearly 10 days to dismantle the engine to investigate citing shortage of labour. After at least 6 visits, they dismantled the engine. After investigation they are saying the the piston of the engine is damaged as some valve inside the engine broke in transit which damaged the piston.

Am really shocked as to how a valve inside the engine can break and cause such a damage. The Mahindra Service initially said it was due to reckless driving, after exchaning few heated words, they have agreed to escalate the issue to Corporate office of Mahindra and what could be done. No reply for the last one week,

The vehicle has been driven single handedly since it was bought and never once was driven rashly or recklessly.

Have you guys come across such issues, Need your help to plan the future course of action. I have demanded that the vehicle be replaced. Any inputs on how to handle this issue will be great help to me.
veeru27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 13:15   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Need Help - Xylo E4 - Piston Damaged but how ?

Your timing belt must have broken....that is the only way this could've happened. After the engine had stopped, there must have been an attempt to restart it by cranking. That would have broken/ bent the valves & maybe even the camshaft.
1self is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 13:31   #3
Zed
BHPian

The Xylo engine has a timing chain. Chain failure is extremely rare in comparison to belts.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 16:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Your timing belt must have broken....that is the only way this could've happened. After the engine had stopped, there must have been an attempt to restart it by cranking. That would have broken/ bent the valves & maybe even the camshaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The Xylo engine has a timing chain. Chain failure is extremely rare in comparison to belts.
Thank you guys,

Could any of this have happened due to driver error as Mahindra A.S.S. claims?
veeru27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 17:57   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Xylo E4 - Piston Damaged but how ?

Nope, driver error cannot cause or shall I say SHOULD not cause this. I think you are looking at a complete engine & head rebuild. That is upwards of 1 lakh at least.
1self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 14:46   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra Xylo E4 - Piston Damaged but how ?

Guys,

My apologies. Totally forgot to update the thread about the outcome.

M&M, after hectic parleys have rebuilt the engine at their cost barring the oil change and service and dealer had also made a decent buyback offer.

A Pleasant experience I must say. Far cry from the experience that am currently having with my Skoda rapid.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...w-failure.html
veeru27 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote