Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th January 2013, 18:31   #91
Team-BHP Support

I bought a manual Jetta, despite Bangalore's horrible traffic. Now you know why!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 18:35   #92
BHPian

Default Re: DSG packs up on my 2011 Skoda Laura CR 140 - EDIT now failed compressor & ECM bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I bought a manual Jetta, despite Bangalore's horrible traffic. Now you know why!
+1. I wanted a superb diesel and it only came in AT - so I dropped the plans of Superb and picked up a MT Laura!
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 21:47   #93
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DSG packs up on my 2011 Skoda Laura CR 140 - EDIT now failed compressor & ECM bug

^ Same reason for my Manual Superb. Gosh this DSG issue really has no end. Very sad Skoda for not acknowledging this issue and playing covert games. VW/Skoda should publicly apologise for the trauma caused to its DSG owners and extend warranty on all DSG's for lifetime or minimum 5 years with a no questions asked policy. That would go a long way in strengthening customer confidence. Such fine quality vehicles let down by few crucial components.

Last edited by dkaile : 8th January 2013 at 21:49.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 10:37   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Manson better yet, I would suggest you get the VAG-com cable from abroad and scan it yourself. Go with the report to Skoda and get them to fix it. I remember Ajmat used to do this.
The VAG-COM Cable will not work perfectly unless u have the VAS5051A/B/C Module or a VCDS Software which is licensed. Also Majority of the VAG-COM cables sold on ebay and other sites do not work.

I would suggest you buy the VCDS Cable from Ross-Tech, www.ross-tech.com . The Hex-CAN - USB cable along with the Licence to use their Software costs about $349/- Can be purchased from here ------->> http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

The VCDS system gives you a lot of options to diagnose the Vehicle - Measuring Blocks such as A/c Compressor RPM, Engine Temperature, Etc.
Sunilrj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 18:22   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
VW/Skoda should publicly apologise for the trauma caused to its DSG owners and extend warranty on all DSG's for lifetime or minimum 5 years with a no questions asked policy.
I have a Skoda shield that is valid upto April 2015, but what happens after that? Our Laura isn't a daily drive which means it would have barely done 50K at the end of the warranty period at tops and ideally we would have liked to keep it or atleast 2 more years after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
fine quality vehicles let down by few crucial components.
+1. Exactly why my post reads the following text:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

Isolating my Skoda CR 140 Laura from its rate of part failure and high handed after sales experience, it still is the best option we had whilst purchasing a car for my brother, but I just do not know what to think of basic and extremely vital components like a gearbox and AC compressor packing up this side of 18 months / 20,000 kms of ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You cant get away that easy from VAG, VW hasn't spared you even with the manual stick, has it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
The VAG-COM Cable will not work perfectly unless u have the VAS5051A/B/C Module or a VCDS Software which is licensed. Also Majority of the VAG-COM cables sold on ebay and other sites do not work.
How simple and more importantly useful is this for an absolute non techie person?
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 18:29   #96
BHPian

Quote:

How simple and more importantly useful is this for an absolute non techie person?
I am a chartered Accountant By profession, graduated in bachelors of Commerce, Did my 12th in Commerce, but i find VCDS is a Helpful User friendly tool. U dont need to have an advanced level of knowledge in Information technology or Mechanical engineering to use this tool. in fact have helped several Skoda / VW owners with diagnostics as well as the A.S.S. with certain Issues on Customer Cars. All i do is use VCDS, The VCDS error Code explainer on the website and Elsa!

VCDS Cable is a cable Manufactured by Ross-Tech llc the full form of which is Volkswagen Compatible Diagnostic Software. VCDS is a software package for Windows that emulates the functions of the dealers' very expensive proprietary scan tools

if i can use the VCDS with ease, am sure you can also with the same ease!

Last edited by Sunilrj : 14th January 2013 at 18:32.
Sunilrj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 20:38   #97
Team-BHP Support

Apologies for the late update, but the good news is that JMD seems to have fixed everything just fine this time around.

I got the car back about 10 days ago, but nothing at Skoda happens without a little drama. The aircon compressor was fixed in the three day period and notably JMD did not charge me for any consumables either. Alongside the compressor replacement they had apparently performed another reswipe to figure out the blinking light error.
JMD also fixed the 'broken' vent which works how it should now, point to note, initially I was informed it would need replacement, but they figured a fix around this when I pressed for warranty. Not putting Skoda down on this since almost every authorised service centre shares a similar practice.

Just when I was on my way to fetch the Laura from JMD, the assistant works manager called to say that the car was not starting and the blinking light problem has resurfaced. I was almost half way from my place so I decided to show up anyways and check on what was really wrong this time. In the meantime one of the technical guys had the blinking error figured out and diagnosed to moisture trapped in an electrical relay which he duly replaced.

He mentioned that there have been a handful of similar cases and this error shows up only in the mornings or after an engine bay wash which was correct in my case too.

For now, we have done a 600 kms round trip since I got the car back and everything seems to be sorted. JMD has done a reasonably good job on finally fixing all three of my grouses for now and I'm just hoping I will not have to visit them until its time for the second service.
manson is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 22:21   #98
BHPian

Hey Manson!

Could you please give us an update about the cars current condition? I am on the verge of finalizing my Laura booking. Kinda getting the Skoda jitters. Cheers!
BuBooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 17:51   #99
Team-BHP Support

Default re: DSG packs up on Skoda Laura CR140 - EDIT 1: Failed compressor & ECM bugs. EDIT 2: DSG Packs up again

Not the best way to start the day or the festive week, but here it is, the DSG on our Laura 2.0 seems to have packed up again.

Fortunately for us, this happened within our building so apart from calling the service manager at JMD Skoda there was not much to be done. Upon hearing the symptoms that I could describe from the above video, Mr. Prem from JMD Skoda confirmed it is mostly a mechatronics / megaclutch failure and would be covered under their goodwill warranty. Turn around time for the same is approximately 15 working days.
For now, he has promptly arranged for a flatbed to have it towed to their Nerul workshop following which he will update me on the course of action.

Simultaneously, based on my previous discussions with him over their unauthorized dieselgate fix tampering and less than original driving experience mentioned below, I have asked for a return to the base map on which he has said he will get back.

Quote:
Make: 2011 Skoda Laura 2.0 Ambiente DSG

Engine: 2.0L TDI

Experience in words: The car went in for its annual service (6 years / 70K) early last month and I was only informed of the software update at time of picking the car up. Apart from a short commute or two around the block, I did not get a chance to really stretch its legs until this morning.
As many others on this thread have suggested the surge / torque wave has almost vanished. The power delivery is restricted and extremely ordinary, very contrasting to one of the prime reasons we bought the Laura back in 2011.
Ofcourse the service advisor charged made a big fat 29K bill (inclusive of transmission oil replacement and some pointless rubbish), and we also got the free car care kit.
The service advisor needs me to send him a copy of the registration copy enabling him to update their record. I think I am going to restrain from doing that as a tiny mark of protest.

Couple of quick questions that come to mind:
Is it legal of VW / Skoda / Audi to remap the cars without the owner's consent?
Is it worthwhile paying big fat Euro service bills for extremely average / mediocre performance?
Would a remap be reliable?

Last edited by navin : 18th October 2017 at 11:08. Reason: typo
manson is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote