Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 08:25   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
funkykar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 1,726 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post

Yes the car is street legal. Paper work at the RTO is under process.

off topic- How easy is it to get an old car like an amby or fiat re-registered in Bangalore and also getting an NOC out from Bangalore RTO? Needed it for a car here which has a KA number.
Wow cool! Its best have papers in order. In bangalore, its not an issue with old car like fiat or amby. Its a breeze to get the NOC and FC (For FC, car should be in good condition)
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 10:47   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 48
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post




Thanks Aman. I thought you had 3 of these engines with you. Why don't you share some pics of your Gypsy on which you are running the same setup. Would love to learn something from that.

Indrojit, you have mistaken me for Amanpreet the tuner from Noida. We share the same first name with the difference of the "n/r". I would have been on the top of the world if I had one of these engines.

Anyway great build. Would be nice if you could share the troubles you had with rebuilding the engine. What would make my day is a ballpark figure on how much the project cost you so that I can make my estimates.

Thanks
amarpreet99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 13:00   #18
BHPian
 
scorpian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GOA
Posts: 270
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Ok just a few questions.

1) Are you using the stock radiator?
2)Does this engine sit on the same mountings or you had to refabricate the same?

How difficult is it to find the engine parts.

I plan to go similar way hence the query.

regards and cheers enjoy the beast.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 19:15   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 9,104 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

@ Indrojit

I had a pipercross universal air filter, complete free flow exhaust system, throttle body enlargement and NGK plugs (they did not make a diff but still). The rest of the car was bone stock. It was mainly a city run about hence never felt the need for better suspension/ brakes. By the time I did plan to go ahead with upgrading these components, the car was rattling like crazy and hence decided to sell it off.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 10:00   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
m4ugr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,291
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I am not sure about the redline. But from the factory they came at 8,000 RPM as the limiter. Yes its the same car.
Running it on a stock setup. No remapping for now. Need to install a good end can. Plans to do it soon.
Not at all. This is just the beginning. More such projects to come.
What engine management are you using or you using the Stock Zen G10 ECU to run this engine ??
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 16:42   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 307
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
What engine management are you using or you using the Stock Zen G10 ECU to run this engine ??
The stock Zen ECU is bieng used alongwith the stock Zen wiring to run the engine in the present state.

This engine has been set up beautifully , i drove the car yesterday and though it has only done 100 kms since the build , it drives amazingly well , there is no vibration (above the stock levels of the zen ) and no weird sounds coming from the bonnet area , and the accelaration is downright amazing , i have driven a couple of "tooned " and turbocharged swifts . esteems and city"s from diffrent delhi "tooners" but none of them come close to the level of mechanical finesse that has been achieved with with this engine .

In short it not feel like an engine swap has been done , more that the existing engine has suddenly gained 50 horses.
wbd8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 18:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Congrats! Great project!

Was the engine rebuilt before install? Did you say it came with headers? They look like castings?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 20:52   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Wow cool! Its best have papers in order. In bangalore, its not an issue with old car like fiat or amby. Its a breeze to get the NOC and FC (For FC, car should be in good condition)
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Indrojit, you have mistaken me for Amanpreet the tuner from Noida. We share the same first name with the difference of the "n/r". I would have been on the top of the world if I had one of these engines.

Anyway great build. Would be nice if you could share the troubles you had with rebuilding the engine. What would make my day is a ballpark figure on how much the project cost you so that I can make my estimates.

Thanks
Really sorry for the mis-understanding. Please share details of your swift details build please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Ok just a few questions.

1) Are you using the stock radiator?
2)Does this engine sit on the same mountings or you had to refabricate the same?

How difficult is it to find the engine parts.

I plan to go similar way hence the query.

regards and cheers enjoy the beast.
1). Yes the stock radiator is more than suficient to cool this engine.
2). Yes exactly the same mountings.

Well i source parts from all over the world for my father's workshop where he restores vintage cars. Hence i had no trouble at all.

No problem. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
@ Indrojit

I had a pipercross universal air filter, complete free flow exhaust system, throttle body enlargement and NGK plugs (they did not make a diff but still). The rest of the car was bone stock. It was mainly a city run about hence never felt the need for better suspension/ brakes. By the time I did plan to go ahead with upgrading these components, the car was rattling like crazy and hence decided to sell it off.
Ok, what tyres did you run it on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
What engine management are you using or you using the Stock Zen G10 ECU to run this engine ??
Yes the stock ECU from the Zen with the stock wiring. It is more than enough to run this engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
The stock Zen ECU is bieng used alongwith the stock Zen wiring to run the engine in the present state.

This engine has been set up beautifully , i drove the car yesterday and though it has only done 100 kms since the build , it drives amazingly well , there is no vibration (above the stock levels of the zen ) and no weird sounds coming from the bonnet area , and the accelaration is downright amazing , i have driven a couple of "tooned " and turbocharged swifts . esteems and city"s from diffrent delhi "tooners" but none of them come close to the level of mechanical finesse that has been achieved with with this engine .

In short it not feel like an engine swap has been done , more that the existing engine has suddenly gained 50 horses.
I am happy you had fun with the car yesterday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Congrats! Great project!

Was the engine rebuilt before install? Did you say it came with headers? They look like castings?
Thanks. Yes the engine was completely rebuilt. I didn't want to take a chance with the old engine. Mr. Rahul Dutt had similar views and we were on the same plane. Pics on the first page. The Exhaust manifold is cast. IF you look at the pics closely it is in the same pattern as a header and also has no constrictions what so ever. Hence it works as good as a header.

More to come. Stay tuned!

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 26th May 2012 at 20:55.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 17:00   #24
BHPian
 
Neil.Bhujbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 189
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Yes the stock ECU from the Zen with the stock wiring. It is more than enough to run this engine.
1 liter SOHC engines ECU to run a 1.3 liter DOHC 100 hp engine ?
Neil.Bhujbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 14:00   #25
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 830
Thanked: 543 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post

Thanks. Yes the engine was completely rebuilt. I didn't want to take a chance with the old engine. Mr. Rahul Dutt had similar views and we were on the same plane. Pics on the first page. The Exhaust manifold is cast. IF you look at the pics closely it is in the same pattern as a header and also has no constrictions what so ever. Hence it works as good as a header.

More to come. Stay tuned!
Fantastic stuff! I've been a little busy for the past few days and haven't had a chance to go through the full details but it's great to know that the project is complete and the car is a rocket with no problems.

AFAIK, an engine transplant is never quite easy, so the fact that you've been able to do this smoothly is brilliant and am sure that you must have a great sense of fulfillment and satisfaction to bring a dream project to a successful end and now you can enjoy it too!

About the running in part, err, why don't you just drive the car over to Cal? That way, the engine will be settled, you can then storm the car and I'll have a helping hand for my car

Kudos to you.

Best
Prithvi
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 19:58   #26
BHPian
 
nim_peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 184
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Congrats on the transplant, hope you are having fun. Could you please share the procedure for RTO paper work, like, what are the things required to get it done and the cost involved. Some queries on the engine bill and papers/documents required for applying in RTO. My GTX engine is having some problems and the members here suggested to go for new engine, I am considering that. Thanks in advance.
nim_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 12:02   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PNQ/MUM/PKD
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 691 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Congratulations and kudos for the successful transplant.I too have a 98 zen back in my native place(Kerala).In Mumbai i have a swift di.But always loved the way the zen handled,with the only draw backs being the underpowered engine and lousy brakes.I had been looking forward to swap out the engine,limited to either an esteem/baleno engine.

Please keep us updated.
rakesh_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 17:10   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 233
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well i source parts from all over the world for my father's workshop where he restores vintage cars. Hence i had no trouble at all.
Congratulations on the Major Heart Transplant. One quote I got was for 1.5L for the 1300 GTI engine + ecu + wiring. High is it not for a used engine?

Sourcing of car parts is the biggest pain. Getting it abroad officially subjects it to a CIF Duty of 35(?)% unless it is carried in as passenger luggage. Any idea if they allow the personal or commercial import of used components, assemblies or engines ? Or is it these are brought in as scrap metal ?

Glad if you throw some light.
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 08:02   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 233
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: 2003 Maruti Zen Engine Swap : Twin Cam 1300cc GTi Power

Got around to searching the Forum which gives most answers to my questions - should have done it before the previous post .
The must reads for those interested are linked below.

1 (Engine Graveyard - Where old engines go to die..)
2 (Import Engine from US/UK)
3 (Importing used engines/Spare Parts?)
4 (importing engine into india)
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 09:28   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
m4ugr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,291
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil.Bhujbal

1 liter SOHC engines ECU to run a 1.3 liter DOHC 100 hp engine ?
The Engine will be running very lean at high revs because the zen ECU cant give so much fuel as required by this DOHC engine. Rev limit should also be what the stock G10 engine/ecu has. I recommend getting an aftermarket ECU installed so you can run engine safely and also enjoy the real potential of the GTi.

What gearbox are you using ?? The stock Zen or running custom ratios ??
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginning of a GTI era: My VW Golf GTI Mk4 voyageur Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 45 3rd August 2016 13:27
Suzuki 1300 Twin Cam Engine For Zen need_for_speed Technical Stuff 25 6th January 2014 13:42
Enfield Bullet:Cam gear backlash and solutions including adjustable cam spindles deepclutch Motorbikes 73 17th December 2008 00:47
Rear engined, twin cam engine Maruti 800. Check out the video. mclaren1885 Modifications & Accessories 10 5th October 2007 21:20
Twin Cam Zen For Sale v1p3r Shifting gears 14 4th September 2007 08:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks