Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 13:18   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 423 Times
Unhappy Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Hello guys, need your help .

I drive and petrol hyundai accent with 80k on ODO, i got ac serviced couple of months ago. The AC works perfect while cruising, even on stand still it works equally well, BUT while i am in Bumper to Bumper traffic, with clutch depressed it cuts off, like if someone turned the ac off, and start working again when i remove my foot from clutch.

It only happens in crawling traffic, i checked my clutch too, it's fine till date.

What could be the issue, with summers on the peak, it gets difficult to sit in the car with AC off.

I will consult A.S.S over the weekend, anyone experienced this before ?

Please help.

Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 14:18   #2
BHPian
 
Sisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 119
Thanked: 85 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

In summers, the temperature of the Engine Oil rises rapidly in start stop traffic. So the AC compressor cuts off temporarily to reduce load on the engine. Once you are back to speed, the air flow to the radiator fan increases this reducing the temperature and the AC compressor switches on.

I dont think this has anything to do with the clutch. Just to be sure just idle your car for 10 min or so with the clutch depressed and check whether the compressor is working. Let us know the feedback.
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 16:20   #3
BHPian
 
nozzlering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 80
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Hello guys, need your help .

I drive and petrol hyundai accent with 80k on ODO, i got ac serviced couple of months ago. The AC works perfect while cruising, even on stand still it works equally well, BUT while i am in Bumper to Bumper traffic, with clutch depressed it cuts off, like if someone turned the ac off, and start working again when i remove my foot from clutch.

It only happens in crawling traffic, i checked my clutch too, it's fine till date.

What could be the issue, with summers on the peak, it gets difficult to sit in the car with AC off.

I will consult A.S.S over the weekend, anyone experienced this before ?

Please help.

Sameer
Just to isolate the clutch thing, is ac working at stand still on neutral (you dont need to press clutch pedal in this case).
nozzlering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 423 Times
Smile re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Just to isolate the clutch thing, is ac working at stand still on neutral (you dont need to press clutch pedal in this case).
Yes, ac is working perfectly fine on neutral .
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 19:24   #5
BHPian
 
nozzlering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 80
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Its strange!! Ac being controlled by Clutch
Any repair job done recently?
I would suggest you to do one small test. Or maybe you have done already. Car is in neutral. Start the car. switch on ac and blower. Cooling will start. Now just press clutch pedal and keep in this position for some time. Is ac working or not?
nozzlering is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 19:36   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Ok, you shall laugh. But here's a pointer. Now I have driven 2 Accents over 3 years and I can assuredly tell you nothing is wrong with the car. Do one thing, take a torch and check to the left of the footrest. There is a plastic slit/window that can move with your foot. Every time you put your foot down to depress the clutch or rest your foot on the rest, you might just be opening that slat with your foot. This slat, when open (or closed, I dunno) allows the cool AC air to pass into the centre console.
It's a silly thing, but I have had instances where I have had HOT air coming from the louvres and I don't even know why. I zeroed it down to my foot movements and closed the slat with my foot. Chilled air within seconds.

THIS is an isolated situation and happened to me. Don't consider this as the solution to your problem.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 20:21   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 423 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozzlering View Post
Its strange!! Ac being controlled by Clutch
Any repair job done recently?
I would suggest you to do one small test. Or maybe you have done already. Car is in neutral. Start the car. switch on ac and blower. Cooling will start. Now just press clutch pedal and keep in this position for some time. Is ac working or not?
Did the check, in neutral with clutch depressed - AC is still cooling, putted it in the 1st gear, started leaving clutch with accelerator, AC stopped cooling, and little more accelerator, AC again started cooling, don't know what's with it

Will be taking it to the expert tomorrow .

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Ok, you shall laugh. But here's a pointer. Now I have driven 2 Accents over 3 years and I can assuredly tell you nothing is wrong with the car. Do one thing, take a torch and check to the left of the footrest. There is a plastic slit/window that can move with your foot. Every time you put your foot down to depress the clutch or rest your foot on the rest, you might just be opening that slat with your foot. This slat, when open (or closed, I dunno) allows the cool AC air to pass into the centre console.
It's a silly thing, but I have had instances where I have had HOT air coming from the louvres and I don't even know why. I zeroed it down to my foot movements and closed the slat with my foot. Chilled air within seconds.

THIS is an isolated situation and happened to me. Don't consider this as the solution to your problem.
Thanks alot for sharing this, will surely try it tomorrow

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th May 2012 at 20:29.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 20:52   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 423 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

I got the reason behind, the problem is that, whenever i release clutch with accelerator along in 1st gear, the rpm goes up and as soon as i start leaving the clutch, rpm drops down for a moment and again rises.

So, when rpm drops AC stops for few seconds and again it starts. Once i go above 1st gear, the problem disappears, that's why it becomes a little irritating in bumper to bumper traffic, where i hardly manage to go above 1st gear.

No, what could be the issue, why rpm drops for a moment, while accelerating in 1st gear ?

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 28th May 2012 at 20:53.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 636 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

i dont think RPM dropping is related to 1st gear.
Try pulling the car in 2nd gear from standstill and check if that happens.

Throttle cable might be getting Jammed at times, do get that checked.

Try this in reverse gear as well to see if it happens.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 08:34   #10
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 627
Thanked: 266 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

sameerg001, your idle air controller (IAC) is chocked, or on it's way out. That is the reason the rpm drops & then rises again. Get your full intake system decarbed. If the problem persists, then it's the IAC valve.
1self is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2012, 22:08   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,503
Thanked: 423 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

I got the issue, it was related with accelerator cable. Thanks everyone for helping me out on the issue

MODS: Please close this thread as issue has been sorted out.

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 00:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
MODS: Please close this thread as issue has been sorted out.

Cheers
Sameer
Good to know that the issue is sorted now.

No need to close the thread, this thread will help people who might face similar issues in future.
Technocrat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 12:16   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Hey guys, i need help with my car AC too. I have the hyundai accent

My car AC used to work perfectly but suddenly it stopped cooling. I went to the AC workshop, there was no leak whatsoever. He advised me to do the servicing of my AC. But its still the same. There is no cooling.

The problem started when my friend was driving the car in a hot afternoon when i had a problem with the bottom of my radiator leaking a little bit of water. There was a noise "gas release type noise(ssshhhhhhh)" from the hood and after that the AC stopped working. I got the radiator's bottom fixed though. Also, there is no coolant.. Just water
hrish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 12:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrish90 View Post
Hey guys, i need help with my car AC too. I have the hyundai accent

Also, there is no coolant.. Just water
First and foremost thing to do - refill the whole loop with the correct ratio of coolant:water at an FNG then check for any leakages etc.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 18:50   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Accent : AC not working with clutch depressed EDIT : Now resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
First and foremost thing to do - refill the whole loop with the correct ratio of coolant:water at an FNG then check for any leakages etc.

Anurag.
Thanks for the reply Anurag.
But after i'd replaced the bottom of the radiator, the mechanic asked me to not put coolant for 2-3 days because if there was any leak, the coolant would get wasted. He advised me to use the car on water and check the coolant reservoir if it is becomes empty again then there would possibly be more leakage.
hrish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPM shoots up when clutch depressed rao_battula Technical Stuff 83 27th September 2016 15:28
Brakes not working as desired in my Accent Peter Technical Stuff 11 17th October 2008 23:31
A depressed customer; plz guide karthik1107 The Indian Car Scene 15 30th April 2006 19:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks