Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th August 2012, 00:43   #31
h14
BHPian

Default Re: Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'

Great job Arun! Really no words to express. Had the opportunity of seeing your car in flesh at the meet and I was not really in a position to give you a comment, was speechless to say the least!

Excellent restoration and job well done.

Wishing you loads of happy miles in the 297! Have a blast ;-)
h14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 09:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arun / Karthik - well done, congratulations. Yes, it really looks like MMY43, the black grille adds a touch of authenticity. I would love to get MMY43 back, so it is nice to see you guys keeping the legacy of MMY43 alive. Best of luck. Now enjoy years and years of trouble free driving pleasure.

I am taking the liberty of posting three picture of MMY43 here, including that of my group A rally engine with twin carburettors. I am sure you will not mind!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-scan0005.jpg  

Attached Images

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 20:38   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Soooper! Best thing I like about it is that the OHH-REE-GEE-NAL hubcaps are back! And the sunfilm is all off! Oh, and the original steering wheel is back on!!
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 02:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Wow car looks fantastic in the end. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed worklog with a ton of pics
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 11:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Is this Ebenezer garage the one at HSR? How do you rate his work?
Yes. He is good for mechanical work. A bit costly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
First of all thanks a lot for documenting & sharing the restoration work of 297, Karthik bhai.

PS: Karthik bhai give my regards to Arun bhai
Thanks Sagar. Sure will convey my wishes to him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
I must say that the restoration work of Arun's car has been done very systematically, methodically and well documented.
So, once again I congratulate Arun and his family to have re-juvinated their PADMINI and for giving her a new lease of live.
All the very Best Arun, and hope you have a FIATFUL time of your life with 297!
Thanks Ronyji for the lovely comment. Arun is super excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
It's fantastic! I really appreciate the hardwork behind this extremely well placed restoration.

Spending 10k for paint alone for a car worth that price itself shows the commitment and passion behind this. Kudos for the great effort and thanks for the nice and detailed pictures.
Padmini these days is worth more than 10K bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Great job Arun! Really no words to express. Had the opportunity of seeing your car in flesh at the meet and I was not really in a position to give you a comment, was speechless to say the least!

Excellent restoration and job well done.

Wishing you loads of happy miles in the 297! Have a blast ;-)
Thanks Anandh! Happy to meet you in Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Arun / Karthik - well done, congratulations. Yes, it really looks like MMY43, the black grille adds a touch of authenticity. I would love to get MMY43 back, so it is nice to see you guys keeping the legacy of MMY43 alive. Best of luck. Now enjoy years and years of trouble free driving pleasure.

I am taking the liberty of posting three picture of MMY43 here, including that of my group A rally engine with twin carburettors. I am sure you will not mind!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, wish you get back your MMY 43! Thanks for the complements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Soooper! Best thing I like about it is that the OHH-REE-GEE-NAL hubcaps are back! And the sunfilm is all off! Oh, and the original steering wheel is back on!!
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Wow car looks fantastic in the end. Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed worklog with a ton of pics
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 16:29   #36
BHPian

Superb thread for anybody who is looking to restore a Padmini. Like Arun, I have been dreaming of restoring a Fiat for a long, long time; hope, it happens one day. Thanks a ton, Karthick, for such a detailed thread. Congratulations Arun !!

Last edited by HorsPwr : 8th August 2012 at 16:37.
HorsPwr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 17:40   #37
BHPian

I really don't want to nit pick on this wonderful and painstaking restoration, but are the lines out in these 2 pictures? Maybe some adjustments are still required?
Attached Images

kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 18:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
I really don't want to nit pick on this wonderful and painstaking restoration, but are the lines out in these 2 pictures? Maybe some adjustments are still required?
FIATs are more human like, hence the imperfection.

Anyways, just check this pic of PAL. Here too the door is misaligned. What I mean is alignment might go wrong for best results of door setting. An expert might be able to set right that too, but Arun was ok with it I guess.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3411
Size:  129.5 KB
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 18:49   #39
BHPian

Beautiful restoration while we did not have a single car in our family .... such beautiful restorations are tempting. In fact your car reminds me of a similar car which belonged to a good friend Registration ...CTD 1030 from Manickbag Hubli
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 21:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

So here is the pic when 297 was a year old. Even then the door alignment was like that. So nothing new now. B.D Sir can tell us more about this.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  27.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Beautiful restoration while we did not have a single car in our family .... such beautiful restorations are tempting. In fact your car reminds me of a similar car which belonged to a good friend Registration ...CTD 1030 from Manickbag Hubli
Cool! So you know about Manicbag Automobiles! Hope that Padmini survives till date.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 06:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
So here is the pic when 297 was a year old. Even then the door alignment was like that. So nothing new now. B.D Sir can tell us more about this.

Attachment 967024

Cool! So you know about Manicbag Automobiles! Hope that Padmini survives till date.
Yes Karthik, Native of Hubli hence know Manickbag which used to be opposite the KMC gates on the NH4,
Old 9th August 2012, 09:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
So here is the pic when 297 was a year old. Even then the door alignment was like that. So nothing new now. B.D Sir can tell us more about this
Dear Karthik - yes, I can tell you. I will have to take you back to around 1989 when I was the R&D engineer for the body. "Side door impact strength" test was to be made mandatory from 1991 (today it is mandatory). It consisted of a 300 mm diameter vertically placed cylinder which would be hydraulically shoved into the doors from the outside upto a distance of 450 mm at the rate of 1 mm per second. Padmini was never designed for this test (all cars of today meet this) so I studied the proposed legislation and the layouts, looked at the door drawings and designed a system which would enable the car to meet this legislation. It basically consisted of cross pipes in the doors and a stool below the rear seat which would take the compressive force required to be resisted. We made one set of parts as per layouts and drawings but they would not fit in the car because the door itself was not as per drawing as the dies producing the base body were badly worn out. In some places, they were reconditioned by using Araldite. This is the reason for such issues seen in all Padmini cars. Please see the photograph of MMY43, it is like that only. Please also see the projecting lip behind the headlight rings at the sides of the bonnet. There is 1.6 kg of solder there per car otherwise the shape just does not come. When we restore, we must take care of all this for the restoration to be called authentic. I will be opening up my left hand drive completely once again after Diwali, I hope I get time to do all this.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 13:06   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Please also see the projecting lip behind the headlight rings at the sides of the bonnet. There is 1.6 kg of solder there per car otherwise the shape just does not come. When we restore, we must take care of all this for the restoration to be called authentic. I will be opening up my left hand drive completely once again after Diwali, I hope I get time to do all this.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram,

This is circa 2008, when your left hand drive was being restored. Yourself, Varun, little Cyrus (not little anymore ) and myself were present. The tinker on application of the batti (welding torch), solder like molten lava flowed. I was shocked to see what it was. You had explained us then 1.6 kg of solder used to make the bodies and about other high quality production techniques used.
So does it make the PP a bad vehicle? Inspite of all this, no.
It all seems like yesterday.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 9th August 2012 at 13:10.
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 13:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Behram,

This is circa 2008, when your left hand drive was being restored. Yourself, Varun, little Cyrus (not little anymore ) and myself were present. The tinker on application of the batti (welding torch), solder like molten lava flowed. I was shocked to see what it was. You had explained us then 1.6 kg of solder used to make the bodies and about other high quality production techniques used.
So does it make the PP a bad vehicle? Inspite of all this, no.
It all seems like yesterday.
Hello Kavesh,

Are you stating that every PP that rolled out of Kurla had 1.6 KG of solder used and that there was no permanent fix to it.? They way I understand is that this solder was used to make good for small flaws in the body panels.

How are the local garages handling these now during restoration.?
Old 9th August 2012, 14:29   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Are you stating that every PP that rolled out of Kurla had 1.6 KG of solder used and that there was no permanent fix to it.? They way I understand is that this solder was used to make good for small flaws in the body panels. How are the local garages handling these now during restoration.?
Dear Shivshanker - the simple answer to your question is - YES. Local garages have lots of time at their disposal, they can build a body part by tinkering. For example, the complete headlight mounting interfaces on the front fenders of my super-select are hand tinkered. Even the headlight ring fixing bracket design is changed, these are made by me and fitted otherwise you just cannot get such perfect interfaces. It took me 4 days to complete just two headlight mountings. Please see the photograph, you will not be able to make it out but if you open the bonnet and see, you will realize the effort which has gone in. Factory cannot work like this. In production at the rate of 60 cars per day at that time, soldering was the only option.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Arun's FIAT - '91 Premier Padmini 'Economy'-100_0737.jpg  

DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote