Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st August 2017, 10:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Leaking Dampers (Shock Absorbers) : Can they be repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
... IF DONE JUDICIOUSLY.
?
It might be true. However the problem is finding this "a good workshop with the right tools, skilled hands and needed parts is all that is needed". Not every town/city/corner has one. While a repaired shock maybe better than a busted one my point is if the OE shocks are expensive and finding a good repair shop is hard the alternative is branded after market stuff which are just as good and have close to OE quality. In the end a repaired item will always have the back of the mind doubt "what if" it fails again.

"aftermarket ones, but even at 1.9 k apiece. it would cost about 10k to carry out the replacement, including labour"
A OE replacement would have cost around 5k with labor. ( I got my Civics front suspension overhauled with new ball joints, lower arms etc changed for 1500 bucks as labor). For additional 2k you get the peace of mind.

"IF DONE JUDICIOUSLY." I understand you are not trying to be aggressive but you do know sir that writing in caps means shouting.

Peace.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 1st August 2017 at 10:58.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 20:31   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Leaking Dampers (Shock Absorbers) : Can they be repaired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It might be true. However the problem is finding this "a good workshop with the right tools, skilled hands and needed parts is all that is needed". Not every town/city/corner has one. While a repaired shock maybe better than a busted one my point is if the OE shocks are expensive and finding a good repair shop is hard the alternative is branded after market stuff which are just as good and have close to OE quality. In the end a repaired item will always have the back of the mind doubt "what if" it fails again.

"aftermarket ones, but even at 1.9 k apiece. it would cost about 10k to carry out the replacement, including labour"
A OE replacement would have cost around 5k with labor. ( I got my Civics front suspension overhauled with new ball joints, lower arms etc changed for 1500 bucks as labor). For additional 2k you get the peace of mind.

"IF DONE JUDICIOUSLY." I understand you are not trying to be aggressive but you do know sir that writing in caps means shouting.

Peace.
Agreed that caps should have been bold/italics, my bad.

As for the economics, what you are talking about is overhaul of either end, my estimate of 10k is for all 4 corners, which was done for 3k in the Figo.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote