Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th April 2006, 09:58   #1
BHPian

Question Carb Zen: How much engine power required by the AC?

Hi guys

I recently drove down from hyderabad to bangalore in my zen. We observed during the drive that the car refuses to cross 110 kmph!! (I read in some other thread that the top speed of the carb zen is around 140 kmph!!) Also, in city driving in bangalore, I am seeing that when the AC is switched on, the car struggles to accelerate when the accelerator is pressed, and is much easier to drive when the AC is switched off!! What could be the problem? How much is the engine power that is required to run the AC? Will decarbonising the engine help?

My car has run 56500 km and is a 98 model, and i do not know when it was decarbed last as I bought it from truevalue last year!

Could you also point me to where i can get it serviced in bangalore?
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 10:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very common grouse against the carb zen. The ac button of carb zen is referred to as "Turbo Boost" or "Go Baby Go" button The only difference being that u have to switch it OFF to get the boost.
Decarbonisation might help but not to the extent that the car will cease struggling to accelerate with ac on.
Other alternative is turn it into an e-zen... hehe.. i happen to know jus the right person for the job too!

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 11:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Thats a very common grouse against the carb zen. The ac button of carb zen is referred to as "Turbo Boost" or "Go Baby Go" button The only difference being that u have to switch it OFF to get the boost.
Decarbonisation might help but not to the extent that the car will cease struggling to accelerate with ac on.
Other alternative is turn it into an e-zen... hehe.. i happen to know jus the right person for the job too!

Cheers
Amitoj
hmmmm, yeah amitoj, thats something that i have in mind, but after a few years! Been following goldie's story on team-bhp closely ! but right now, I just want to ensure that my car is running without problems! Its my first car, and I want to take care of the basic maintenance before i get into modifying things! what was the top speed of goldie before it became an e-zen? and where do you think i could get the servicing and repairs done reliably? (Its an AP registered car and hence i'm paranoid about it as I might just get ripped off with faulty repair bills!)
Old 12th April 2006, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

It was able to reach 140 before it became an e-zen but it would happen a bit painfully.
About servicing, you can take your car to any authorized service stations... pick the one closest to you. However, i recently heard good stuff about one service station on hosur road from speedsatya. If you are close to Hosur road, then maybe you can try that one out. Dont worry about faulty bills.... almost all MGPs will have standard price, and so does labour.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 12:44   #5
BHPian

yea...i have a carb zen too..darn...the AC buttons a grouse!! need to rip it outta the socket and chuck it!
Anyways, get a Decarb job done.. try running her slightly richer and advance the timing a degree or two...it'll help...wont be totaly eliminated tho...
i guess the AC seems to suck a good 20% engine power off a carb zen

Have done 142ish with the A.C on... the only mods i had back then were Headers
Rice_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2006, 15:18   #6
BHPian

@amitoj, Rice_tuner: Thanks! I stay near KR Puram, so the closest service stations are Bimal, on the way to ITPL or Pratham, on outer ring road! Which one is the better?

Since the car doesnt cross 110 kmph, what could be the culprit?
Old 14th April 2006, 15:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj

Cheers
Amitoj
Amit,

Oh man, its really a pain in the wrong place........Give us more details about the alternative (e-zen). Would there be any other advantages if I convert my carb zen into an e-zen ??

Redchilly

Last edited by Redchilly : 14th April 2006 at 15:21.
Redchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2006, 11:17   #8
BHPian

hey...another culprit could be a "slipping clutch" more sure ur clutch is'nt slipping...the only other real "problem" could be that ur engine has lost some compression...get the compression checked at a Maruti Authorized Service Station...if ur running a low compression, u'll have to change the piston rings...
Rice_tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 20:41   #9

Oh yeah.........got my zen checked from a maruti authorized personel. Right on the spot....."bad clutch". Getting the whole assembly replaced this week. Will let you guys know the result.

RedChilly
Redchilly is offline   Reply With Quote