Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your choice for simple oil change when car is out of warranty/old?
Service at a A.S.S. 48 22.64%
Service at independent garage 29 13.68%
PIY: Purchase it (oil+filter) Yourself + Trusted Garage for labour 114 53.77%
Full DIY: Purchasing & changing oil yourself 36 16.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st June 2012, 20:30   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY

As a Mobil 1 user, I don't have a choice : Either the authorised center doesn't stock it, and those that do charge exorbitant amounts.

Thus, I buy Mobil 1 from a trusted vendor and get it changed at the local petrol pump. Labour cost = About a 100 bucks (with 50 in tip)

In the event that the car is anyway visiting the service center, I'd have them change the oil in my presence only.

I could do a DIY, but with labour so cheap, I'd rather go for convenience.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:05   #17
BHPian

I always purchase synthetic oil of the relevant grade and get it changed at my trusted garage.

I haven't given my laura even once to *** for service. Though my swift does go to MASS for service uptill it is in warrant.
hemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 22:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

I always purchase the relevant grade oil, and get it changed by a nearby mechanic, he charges me just 50 rs for this ( including filter change and oil ).

I keep on observing oil mark on the dipstick, as i change oil filter and oil every 10,000 kms. When dipstick nears the Low mark, i do a top up myself.

Even for changing small bits like air filter etc, i do a DIY. Even for oil filter and oil change, i could do it myself but when labour is so cheap, plus just 2 mins away from my house, I'd rather go for convenience.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:19   #19
BHPian

Post Re: Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY

We have two old cars, the 1989 Premier 118 NE and the 1997 PPL (PAL Peugeot Limited) Viceroy. My father does all major works for these cars on his own. I assist him as much as I can. We are very particular as to what goes inside the engine! Hence when it comes to oil / filter changes, it is always Full DIY. The same applies for our two wheelers as well : 1979 Priya, 1982 Bajaj Super, 2007 Bajaj Discover 135 and the 2009 Suzuki Access 125.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

With my Mazda Protege, I take the DIY path for oil/filter changes, throttle body cleaning, small parts swap (air hose change/air filter change), and sound system install. Lately, I shifted apartments and this one does not have a basement garage and neither allows to change oil on premises, so I have to trust Team Tires Plus for my oil/filter changes.

As my i10 in India is still under warranty, all work gets done from A.S.S
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

For all VFM operations, the PIY is the best approach in almost all cases of routine servicing and repairs. There isn't anything in these operations which a good independent mechanic cannot/does not do as good as A.S.S.

A complete DIY is not possible because a large section of owners is still not as auto-savvy or DIY-inclined, and there's no infrastructure in place. When I have to park my car on the road every day, I cannot think of changing oils myself.

A.S.S. is at best used for either warranty period servicing or by newbie owners, or in case of premium cars like BMW or Audi where the technical knowhow is not generally available with the independent mechanics.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't be approaching a 3rd party or independent garage as Toyota's service rocks. It may be a bit more expensive but these authorised service guys know what they are doing and really stand by their work. They ensure customer satisfaction and Toyota is serious about it too. So I take my choice of synthetic engine oil and have them change the oil and filter, approved filter obviously, for me.

My experience with independents hasn't been good at all.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd June 2012 at 09:28.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:31   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I wouldn't be approaching a 3rd party or independent garage as Toyota's service rocks. It may be a bit more expensive but these authorised service guys know what they are doing and really stand by their work. They ensure customer satisfaction and Toyota is serious about it too. So I take my choice of synthetic engine oil and have them change the oil and filter, approved filter obviously, for me.

I have to agree with you there. The service from Toyota in Cochin is amazing. They aren't that expensive as well and their 45 min express service is great. You even get to see the work being done, they service the car right in front of a customer's bay and there is this display that shows what stage is the service in.
My friend's fortuner never crossed more than Rs 2,500 or 3,000 so far and I hear the Corolla is lower (thus my plan to buy a pre owned one for my dad).
The Chevy on the other hand is higher (I own 2 of them!), thus I prefer going to my friendly local mechanic, whom I have known ever since I was a kid.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to change the oil on my bike by myself and would have loved to do it on my cars too (after warranty ie). But with cars it is a little more complex, plus needs specific tools for changing the oil filter. So get it done by an independent garage. Not a synthetic-oil enthusiast, so as long as fresh new oil of the manufacturer recommended grade is filled in, I am OK.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
My friend's fortuner never crossed more than Rs 2,500 or 3,000 so far and I hear the Corolla is lower (thus my plan to buy a pre owned one for my dad).
Toyota has set very reasonable labour rates for the Corolla/Altis.

Depending on the mileage, the annual service - labour + tax costs about Rs 1000-1500 without oil. I use after market synthetic so add another 3.2K to the bill. My car has been used sparingly courtesy my official travel and has done less than 12K kms in 3.5 years. Obviously I expect labour costs will increase as I clock more kms as there are more activities and jobs to be carried out as per the prescribed maintenance schedule.
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:37   #26
BHPian

Default Re: Car oil change: Fully Paid Service vs Purchase it Yourself vs full DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
How did you realize that they hadn't changed the oil & did they accept this when you brought it to their notice?
Dad's Maruti800 was once brought back home after oil+filter change (it was only 2 km after the oil change), and when I checked the dipstick, oil was real blackish. Dad phoned the service center, but they argued that oil was indeed changed. Dad was not interested in a fight, so we changed oil ('again') from another place.

I also had a chance to hear a 'confession' from a mechanic that they regularly mix 'mechanically filtered old oil' to the new oil.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 17:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It may be a bit more expensive but these authorised service guys know what they are doing and really stand by their work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
The service from Toyota in Cochin is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I also had a chance to hear a 'confession' from a mechanic that they regularly mix 'mechanically filtered old oil' to the new oil.
The difference here is the word Toyota. I doubt if even the other Japanese manufacturers have built such practices as Toyota.

Toyota is obviously an exception, because I have had bad experiences with a Maruti A.S.S. and I have heard secondhand stories about a Hyundai A.S.S. which again leads me to believe they aren't all that careful. And this after owning the Maruti 800 and the Santro for four years.

It's a peace of mind to take the car to the friendly mechanic, purchase the oil and see it being changed. No worries about what goes into the car, no worries about any other 'changes' or repairs being done. Unless I were allowed to observe the work going on on my car in an A.S.S. I would still have a niggling doubt in my mind as to what is really going on.

And it's not always a malafide intention, but sometimes it's sheer incompetence or ignorance. There may be exceptional service outlets and there may be exceptional experiences (I have had a couple at least), but sadly these still remain exceptions.

The independent setups are no good basically for those very same reasons the A.S.S. are no good.
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The difference here is the word Toyota. I doubt if even the other Japanese manufacturers have built such practices as Toyota.

Toyota is obviously an exception
Yes Toyota is an exception and a benchmark. Ok let me recount the good and bad experiences in all the years me and/or my family have owned cars going back to the 70s:

a) 2 x Premier Padmini - Service? What is after sales service? Are you kidding? Ram Agency the dealer in Pune made us top off the engine oil at the nearest garage after we took delivery of a brand new car. The fuel filter bracket was missing and 3 years later it wasn't provided. We tied it with a piece of wire to the chassis.

b) 2 x Hindustan Ambassador - After sales service? Doh?

c) 2 x Maruti Esteem - Good experience with 2 dealers, Chougule Industries and later with Sai Service. 7/10

d) Fiat Palio - Bad. Literally Non existent though Fiat India mean to up their game in this parameter. The local dealer scores 3/10. This car goes to an independent garage for maintenance. Though the work is not satisfactory for me, my Dad seems to be happy.

e) Honda City (OHC Type II) - Satisfactory (5/10) but the dealer had a major attitude problem with customers. One of the reasons I sold my OHC.

f) Tata Safari - Good after sales. Trustworthy dealer. Tata, inspite of all those quality niggles some of which were downright dangerous, actually rate very high in my books for their after sales. 8/10

g) 3 x Toyota - The first car was purchased in the 70s when we were abroad and the car was imported into India. Service centres were non existent even in Mumbai. To be honest as a kid I don't remember who my Dad took it to for maintenance. He used colour tune to tune the carb and I helped him wash the vehicle. That started my love affair with cars. Fade to the 21st century with the Corolla and Altis - Excellent. They are the bench mark. For the 1st time ever I gave Toyota and its dealer a 10/10 in the customer satisfaction survey for paid service in Sept '11.
Old 22nd June 2012, 20:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
f) Tata Safari - Good after sales. Trustworthy dealer. Tata, inspite of all those quality niggles some of which were downright dangerous, actually rate very high in my books for their after sales. 8/10
Whatever be the quality of their product, the Tatas are renowned for their service and support, from the numerous posts I have come across on after sales service of Tata vehicles.

And your post shows why Toyota stands out even amongst the Japanese carmakers. The Toyota Way has percolated down to the A.S.S. levels too, which is nice to see.
Old 22nd June 2012, 21:30   #30
BHPian

A big no to paid service any day. The service period recommended by Tata Motors for Indica is 10000 kms. Though they have so many things on the checklist, I do not know how many of them are sincerely followed. Further by the time car has clocked 6000 to 7000kms the pickup drops, requires too many gear changes and by the time it is 10000kms is half dead. Most of the people at the authorized service stations/dealers do not know about the newer grades of oils and do not allow customers to watch what is being done on the car. Since the time my car is out of warranty I am getting oil, oil filter changed every 7000kms (Video max Pro, 15W40, CI 4), fuel filter changed every 14000kms (As I have been using IOC Extra Mile Diesel have found filter clean even after 14000kms), personally clean the K & N air filter every 7000kms, brake fluid changed after two rainy seasons.

I go to a mechanic who has quit Tata motors with 9 yr experience, applying leave to my job and be there in the garage throughout, when any work is being carried out. I am very happy and satisfied with this practice of mine so far.
manipal is offline   Reply With Quote