Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Your choice for simple oil change when car is out of warranty/old?
Service at a A.S.S. 48 23.53%
Service at independent garage 28 13.73%
PIY: Purchase it (oil+filter) Yourself + Trusted Garage for labour 109 53.43%
Full DIY: Purchasing & changing oil yourself 34 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th August 2015, 23:02   #76
Default Re: Engine Oil Change : Paid Service vs Buying Oil yourself vs Full DIY

I prefer PIY: Purchase it yourself and then get it done by your trusted garage/mechanic.

Availed the initial three free services as per schedule at the dealer's ASS but from fourth onwards decided otherwise because of the following reasons:

* Servicing at dealer's ASS consumes a lot of time due to perennial rush of both old and new customers, whereas in case of PIY, one can get it done as per one's own convenience from a trusted/known mechanic and that too in much lesser time, which is usually less than an hour.

* Labour cost is pretty high at ASS (with taxes extra), which is a big turn off, whereas a known/trusted mechanic (who is usually an ex employee at one of the ASS) will charge one fourth of that.

* The servicing is carried out in bays, which are usually out of bounds for the customers, as such one doesn't get to talk with the mechanics and technicians to clear doubts and issues. In case of known mechanic, one can freely interact with him and discuss various issues regarding the vehicle which bother you.
ssambyal1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 18:01   #77
Default Re: Engine oil change affects warranty

Originally Posted by Anirban001 View Post
I went for the 3rd free service for my Pulsar 200ns. Since I had already changed my engine oil to Motul FS 20w50, I asked the service engineer not to change the engine oil. I explained to him that I have changed tge oil at 2000kms(dtsi), 5000 kms(dtsi) and 7500 kms(Motul). However he said that if I do not refill with dtsi oil now during 3rd service, my warranty will be void. So, bhpians, please advise.
I was asked to drain out the Motul FS oil and refill with Bajaj DTSi oil during my 3rd service for 200 NS to not lose the warranty. Is it true that non-Bajaj FS oil makes my warranty void ?
If I drain out the FS oil, will it damage my engine if I refill with DTSi oil ?

Kindly advise.
Anirban001 is offline   Reply With Quote