Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 00:56   #1
BHPian
 
RM2488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 170
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

I wanted a new fuel filter for my petrol Ikon. Asked the service center and a local shop. OEM is roughly 130 bucks without labour. Aftermarket "Sakura" filter is 350/-. Which one should I go for? This is the first time I am finding the A.S.C. pricing to be lower. Is this Sakura filter somehow better? Pricing isn't really a concern in this case.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 22:49   #2
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

This is a no-brainer if the OEM is cheaper why go for something that would no way give any advantage over the standard filter in terms of performance or reliability.
sierrakamat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 23:08   #3
BHPian
 
RM2488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 170
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

That is my question exactly. We all know OEM may not always be the best quality, compared to aftermarket (They are, however, adequate). Considering the fuel pump is several years old, and is one of the Ikon's achilles heels, if the Sakura filter is somehow more free-flow, it'll help. I don't mind spending the money if I'm gonna get better quality. And I'd rather install the Sakura filter myself than go the A.S.C. for the OEM install. But then again, if both are equal quality, then why pay more and work to install it when I can have it done for less?

A bit of googling gives me the impression that OEM might be better. Anyone who has used such a filter might know the real deal.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 23:20   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

OEM filters everytime (oil/fuel/air) - even if the pricing was the converse of what you have experienced. The only exception I would make is if I am modding the car in which case aftermarket parts may be required.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th June 2012 at 23:21.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 08:24   #5
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
I wanted a new fuel filter for my petrol Ikon. Asked the service center and a local shop. OEM is roughly 130 bucks without labour. Aftermarket "Sakura" filter is 350/-. Which one should I go for? This is the first time I am finding the A.S.C. pricing to be lower. Is this Sakura filter somehow better? Pricing isn't really a concern in this case.

OEM is motorcraft made by Purolator , Thats why it is cheaper. Sakura is good if not better as the bypass valve is much better. purolator uses a pressed disc bypass valve and the sakura uses a spring load. Both will do good for 5k kms. How much is OEM with labour?
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 08:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,737
Thanked: 4,315 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Some Ikon /Ford spares are actually fairly priced.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:02   #7
BHPian
 
RM2488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 170
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
OEM is motorcraft made by Purolator , Thats why it is cheaper. Sakura is good if not better as the bypass valve is much better. purolator uses a pressed disc bypass valve and the sakura uses a spring load. Both will do good for 5k kms. How much is OEM with labour?
OEM is Rs. 132/- without labour. I don't know how much the labour cost is, but changing a fuel filter is so easy, I can't imagine it would be high. Regardless of labour cost, I'll go for the better one.

A google search seams to indicate their oil filters are not as good. Since you have an Ikon as well, if the Sakura filter is better, then that is the one I'll go for.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 22:10   #8
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
OEM is Rs. 132/- without labour. I don't know how much the labour cost is, but changing a fuel filter is so easy, I can't imagine it would be high. Regardless of labour cost, I'll go for the better one.

A google search seams to indicate their oil filters are not as good. Since you have an Ikon as well, if the Sakura filter is better, then that is the one I'll go for.

Go for the Sakura , it traps dirt better. How do i know? I broke open the OEM and sakura , sakura had much better construction and trapped more dirt. It also has a better anti pass valve so the top end has oil when starting engine.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 09:21   #9
BHPian
 
RM2488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 170
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
I broke open the OEM and sakura , sakura had much better construction and trapped more dirt. It also has a better anti pass valve so the top end has oil when starting engine.
Sakura it is then. BTW, the one you broke open would be an oil filter, right? As far as I know, a fuel filter is pretty much in-line with the pump and fuel rail, and has no oil to speak of.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 09:34   #10
BHPian
 
Catalyst_delhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Noida/Coimbator
Posts: 339
Thanked: 148 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
Sakura it is then. BTW, the one you broke open would be an oil filter, right? As far as I know, a fuel filter is pretty much in-line with the pump and fuel rail, and has no oil to speak of.
Both oil and fuel sakura is better , fuel filter hardly gets dirty for me. I cleaned my tank last year. I think top of the line is 3M or the likes but you would see no improvement. I use sakura air filter as well. ( i do not work for sakura )
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 10:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,054 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Hi,

Yes IKON Fuel Filter costs only about ~150 bucks. There is no need to go for a better one as such, because, as per my A.S.S which is more than 10 years old, there has been no problems whatsoever due to a inferior quality fuel filter. Infact, when I had a water in Fuel problem, and the OE part handled it quite well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
As far as I know, a fuel filter is pretty much in-line with the pump and fuel rail, and has no oil to speak of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
A google search seams to indicate their oil filters are not as good. Since you have an Ikon as well, if the Sakura filter is better, then that is the one I'll go for.
Here's how you change the Fuel Filter yourself. Its a 10 min job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2418033
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:07   #12
BHPian
 
RM2488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Thane
Posts: 170
Thanked: 117 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

This wouldn't exactly be the first time I change a fuel filter, but the link may help other people. OEM might do the job, but if I can get something better, then I usually go for it. Plus the A.S.C. people are difficult to deal with.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:19   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,470 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM2488 View Post
This is the first time I am finding the A.S.C. pricing to be lower.
Even for the battery on the Ikon, the cost from the A.S.C is cheaper than if procured from outside.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,054 Times
Default re: Ikon Fuel Filter : OEM is cheaper than After-Market filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Even for the battery on the Ikon, the cost from the A.S.C is cheaper than if procured from outside.
You are right Benny. But, now, the warranty has gone up to 2 years, and the price doubled to nearly 5k.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jet fuel now cheaper than diesel in India! Aditya Commercial Vehicles 3 2nd February 2015 16:13
Royal Enfield dealers selling after-market exhausts as OEM parts! iron.head Motorbikes 5 26th December 2012 22:47
Cheaper Scorpio variant launched EDIT: More variants with Cheaper 2.2 .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 42 10th May 2008 21:54
OEM vs After market leather androdev Modifications & Accessories 15 10th November 2007 12:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks