Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Does Hyundai CRDi engine really succumb to adultrated fuel?
CRDi technology is very sensitive to adultrated fuel 11 68.75%
No difference between normal and CRDi engine with adultrated fuel 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th April 2006, 14:29   #1
BHPian

Default Does Hyundai CRDi engine really succumb to adultrated fuel?

Does Hyundai CRDi engine really succumb to adultrated fuel? i have had a word with some people who said that CRDi is very sensitive to adultrated fuel. which in turn means that nybody who wants 2 travel highways should not use CRDi cause adultrated fuel is in abundance at highway petrol pumps in out country.

now the above is only my interpretation of what i think of CRDi technology. but i need ur inputs on this matter, especially the gurus here who not just have an opinion but also the reasons behind them.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2006, 14:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Any modern fuel system, MPFI, CRDI etc., are susceptible to adultrated fuel. Even Electronic fuel pumps. the problem with crdi is that its expensive to replace, so more hue and cry. But its high time cars in India started incorporating Adulterated fuel sensors. I think Xeta has one.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 10:52   #3
BHPian

so many auto gurus here and no1 has answer to this issue. pls help me out.
Old 14th April 2006, 11:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Heard CRDi engines hate adultrated fuels( read in some posts here at tbhp) And so does other ECU ones I guess.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi

not only hyundais crdis but all latest tdis and crdis are succumb to adultrated fuel. they need a better diesel like hi performance diesel from various companies.

The better the technology the better you should take care. Even the so called hi performance diesel can be adultrated. So one should make sure that you get yer vehicle filled at a reputed pump in the city like COCO (Company owned company operated)

abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 12:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
So one should make sure that you get yer vehicle filled at a reputed pump in the city like COCO (Company owned company operated)

so how can u ensure this once u r on a highway? that was the main question, while travelling in a city u know which pumps are good but for the highway travel can u rely on CRDi?
Old 14th April 2006, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its not just the CRDi, but all the cars are affected by this problem
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 12:55   #8

is the tata indica also a victim to adulterated fuel considering it has an outdated engine technology!
karanbajaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 18:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

read a report in autocar india about an owner who used the same petrol pump to fill up his scorpio(not crde......the earlier one) and his accent crdi......the accent gave him a million problems whereas the scorpio was untouched.....
maybe that car was faulty but i do feel that bad quality fuel can harm any car........probably the accents engine is more sensitive......
watsay bhpians?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2006, 20:08   #10
jat
BHPian

Adultrated fuel will harm any modern engine (as the tolerances are being reduced) and the type of damage usually depends on type of adultration.

1. If fuel viscosity is increased such as diesel is mixed in petrol, the pump runs overloaded and can eventually burn out.
2. If fuel viscosity is decreased such as petrol is mixed in diesel (does not happen), the reduced visosity will reduce lubricity and will cause wear and tear of fuel system part.
3. If micro particles are introduces then they work like sand and cause wear and tear.
4. One school of thought believes in reduced sulphur content in diesel causes reduction in lubricating property of diesel fuel and hence more wear and tear of fuel system parts.

etc

RK
jat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2006, 01:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Cool No!!

I have atleast 3 Hyundai CRDi cars in my family. All of them see a lot of highway action and clocked good numbers, the oldest one being 3 (I think) years old.

We have all heard of CRDi engines being opened at 70-80K KM on the clock. Ask any Hundai mechanic / technician and he will tell you the petrol Accent also faces the same problem.

The truth is Hyundai workshops (all that I have seen) use sub-standard engine oil. We noticed this 4 years ago when we sorta happened to put a drop of engine oil from the dip-stick into a glass of water only to see it dissolve. Oil... dissolve in water!!! YES!!! Lets just say you will never see an employee in a Hyundai workshop use their own engine oils in their personal car.

Since then all Hyundai cars in our family use Castrol Magnatec and some use Mobil1 SuperSyn (incl mine ). We have Santros that have clocked more than 1,20,000 without the engine ever being touched or any out of routine parts put in.

So switch your engine oil to a good quality one and when you get your oil changed, demand to be there and get your engine oil and oil filter changed in your presence.
gunbir is offline   Reply With Quote