Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd February 2015, 01:59   #46
BHPian

Default Re: i10 air conditioner can barely blow air after being driven for a few hours

I have the same problem in my Figo too. Compressor keeps cutting off. Thermostat is fine but the air flow is restricted after running the A/C for a long time. As Nidheesh suggested, temperature sensor should be the culprit since the thermostat is working just fine.

Last edited by GTO : 12th April 2015 at 15:12. Reason: Typos
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 06:49   #47
BHPian

Default Re: i10 air conditioner can barely blow air after being driven for a few hours

What you could do is from time to time , manually turn of the AC or keep it at 1 notch of heat while AC is on. It will help defrost the evaporator coils. I think the vibrations are due to the AC compressor choking or slugging,
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 10:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
I suspect you have a choked, because of dirt/debris, evaporator coil. Was it ever cleaned for your car?
I never explicitly requested this to be cleaned when I took it for periodic service. Now hearing about what it takes to actually clean it, I doubt service centre has ever done this. I've got my air-conditioner refrigerant topped up once, but I think they haven't checked evaporator coil. Isn't the A/C blower filters supposed to prevent evaporator getting clogged with dirt/debris ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidheesh View Post
As per the Symptoms explained by you, the Root Cuase of it seems to be the ThermoStat, i.e the evaporator temperature sensors that that controls the compressor's magnetic clutch to maintain the cabin temperature.
This is my sole source of confusion. As far as I understood, thermostat is an electromechanical switch by itself. I've seen that element in our good old home fridges and I thought so far that's the same thing in the car. But lately, I came to know that some cars do have a temperature sensor, which is actually just a transducer and the signals from that need to be processed by an electronic control unit and then the ECU decides actual cut off, cut-in and the final relays are activated through ECU command. So what could actually be here in i10 ?

I am anyway going to do what @anujmishra suggested. Does replacing the 'thermostat' / sensor means, we need to take out the dashboard? I know if evaporator needs to be cleaned, we need to take out the dashboard, and that's invariably associated with refilling refrigerant too.
roby.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 20:39   #49

Default Re: Air-con problem after some time of operation

In Most of the MPFI cars, the mechanical type of thermostat (which you typically find in refrigerators) are eliminated. MPFI cars use Thermistors (Thermo-Resistors) in accordance with Air-conditioning amplifier/ECU. This ECU controls the cut-on, cut-off of the compressor and also the Idle speed increment which earlier was done by FICD (Fast Idle Control Device) in older cars.

i10 has a thermistor.

Replacing thermostat requires dashboard removal but refrigerant charging is not necessary as the evaporator will not be removed.

Cleaning the evaporator can be done in two ways
1. Conventional way- Recovering the Refrigerant, Removing Dashboard, Removing HVAC unit, Removing Evaporator and then cleaning it. (Preferred)

2. Using cleaning sprays. This can be done without removing the dashboard. All the depositions will be drained out via the condensation water drain pipe. (Only 60-70% cleaning efficiency)

nidheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 16:26   #50
BHPian

Just ran into this problem last week and even today. Mine is a Honda City V, 2010 model. The symptoms

a. Problem occurs only during long running hours. The AC will work just fine in the beginning and after about 3-4 hours of running, the cooling stops and it's as though the AC is not on.
b. The fan is on, although it sounds like the air is not really blowing well. I can feel a slight difference in air flow. The flow falls a bit.
c. If I place my hand over air con vents, there is a tinge of cooling felt.
d. If I switch off the A/C for 10-15 minutes and then turn it on, the cooling returns to normalcy. i.e it gets so cold at coolest setting, I have to reduce and then it may work for a while again for the problem to return
e. Thermostat appears to be working just fine as the increase or decrease in cooling setting will take effect immediately.

I called Whitefield Honda and asked them to look into this, but the blokes over there didn't bother to pay attention even after calling 4-5 times. I had to repeat the problem over and over again.

Any idea what could be the issue? From reading through this forum it sounds like the cooling coils are getting choked.

I plan to get this checked with an independent Aircon mechanic tomorrow. But any other ideas or thoughts are welcome!

Last edited by sudeepg : 13th February 2015 at 16:27. Reason: Sentence was unfinished
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 16:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Just ran into this problem last week and even today. Mine is a Honda City V, 2010 model. The symptoms

a. Problem occurs only during long running hours. The AC will work just fine in the beginning and after about 3-4 hours of running, the cooling stops and it's as though the AC is not on.
b. The fan is on, although it sounds like the air is not really blowing well. I can feel a slight difference in air flow. The flow falls a bit.
c. If I place my hand over air con vents, there is a tinge of cooling felt.
d. If I switch off the A/C for 10-15 minutes and then turn it on, the cooling returns to normalcy. i.e it gets so cold at coolest setting, I have to reduce and then it may work for a while again for the problem to return
e. Thermostat appears to be working just fine as the increase or decrease in cooling setting will take effect immediately.

I called Whitefield Honda and asked them to look into this, but the blokes over there didn't bother to pay attention even after calling 4-5 times. I had to repeat the problem over and over again.

Any idea what could be the issue? From reading through this forum it sounds like the cooling coils are getting choked.

I plan to get this checked with an independent Aircon mechanic tomorrow. But any other ideas or thoughts are welcome!

I had the exact symptoms in my 2010 model Ford Fiesta. It was fixed by replacing the thermistor switch. See my post in the same thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3270363 (Air-con problem after some time of operation)

The AC is trouble free after this.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 16:40   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the culprit is ice formation. Try using the AC at a little higher temperature rather than the coldest setting so that there is no ice formation. The formation of ice will choke air flow.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 17:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I had the exact symptoms in my 2010 model Ford Fiesta. It was fixed by replacing the thermistor switch. See my post in the same thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3270363 (Air-con problem after some time of operation)

The AC is trouble free after this.
Thanks. I've been following that post after I posted this. I have setup an appointment with WeCool for tomorrow based on Jaggu's note. Let's see how this goes. I'll report back once done

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Looks like the culprit is ice formation. Try using the AC at a little higher temperature rather than the coldest setting so that there is no ice formation. The formation of ice will choke air flow.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks! The Honda city AC chills you to the bones when it is at the full setting. We usually use the A/C such that there is just no heat (pleasant). The thermo is at a setting of 2 mostly, max 3. When this issue started, I cranked it up all the way to full without results. The ice theory seems logical although I have no real experience with such problems. This is the first time I have run into a problem with my car. With a Honda, I always have to think hard if there is some problem to report.
Old 15th February 2015, 06:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Sudeepg,

My problem with the i10 is pretty the same, as everyone else pointed me to. The thermostat is faulty. Inside the city, though the compressor seems to work without cutting off, the ice formation is not significant it seems. Moreover, in the short distance runs & traffic this is just not evident or hasn't run enough time for the ice formation.

I've been reading the same issue henceforth reported by quite a few people, not just in this thread. Also this happens to mostly people who consistently run at blower level 1 or 2. One typical example is about the recent Zest in its official review thread that I read about as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I experienced a somewhat similar problem. After travelling for about 300 km non stop, the air throw was reduced drastically though the blower sound remained the same. I switched off the AC for a few minutes and started it again after a few minutes, switching off the recirculation mode. AC worked fine and again after half an hour or so the problem occured again. This had occured for four or five times but was never repeated.

I mentioned this to the Service Advisor when I went for first servicing. He mentioned that it was a thermostat problem and that they had rectified that. If the problem repeats, then they would recommend replacing the thermostat. I had no problem since then.
However my i10 story probably ends here that, I am looking for a car change (not just for this reason though) and have decided to pack this off if that being the case in as is condition. Till then I have trained my left hand index finger to generously switch on and off the air conditioner by myself, without even looking at the switch console. It seems I have become comfortable with it
Old 15th February 2015, 09:16   #55
BHPian

Update on problem I have run into: I visited WeCool as advised by Jaggu on this thread and I was very happy with the visit. I called them up well ahead my drop in time and they asked to run with the A/C on until I get there. Once I reached, the car was immediately taken into the service area (as opposed to Whitefield service who didn't even bother). The gentleman had his technicians do a diagnosis while Tobias (the owner I think) chatted with me about the problem. He believes that the evaporator coils are heating up which results in the compressor not turning on after extended periods of running and thus no more cooling. When I stop the car, it cools down and things are back to normal. I ran for about an hour in Bangalore traffic with the A/C at full blast, but the problem did not occur.

The good thing about WeCool is that they told me what they think the problem is and to double check if that is the problem, have given me an instruction to check if the compressor is working during the problem condition. Until then, nothing else to do and I wasn't charged anything for the advise either. It was a pleasant experience with them.

Here's an image depicting what to check. In the picture, you will see the area marked in red rectangle. If the compressor is not working during the problem condition, then that pulley will not rotate.

The compressor in the city is to the left side of the engine bay below the alternator.

Air-con problem after some time of operation-20150215_091754.jpg

I am waiting for the problem to re-occur. Will post an update after that.

Last edited by sudeepg : 15th February 2015 at 09:33. Reason: Adding a picture and additional diagnostic detail
Old 16th March 2015, 20:11   #56
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Air-con problem after some time of operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby.thomas View Post
However my i10 story probably ends here that ..
Not really, and now I have an update on this. Today, I just decided to give it to Unitek Auto Air-Conditioning, Ravipuram, Kochi. When I called them up in the morning, a gentleman by name Manoj picked up the phone and offered to get the servicing done the same day itself. Later I learned that he owns the business. I gave the car in the morning, and got it back by 6:30 PM. The condensor coil was clogged heavily and that seemed to be the problem. The thermistor and allied stuff seems to be intact. While diagnosing the problem, he showed me on a thermometer inserted into the vent that the compressor was not cutting off despite the reading going into -2 degrees. That's the reason for icing. In fact it was random. Once it did cut off at 0 degrees, next time it refused to cut off. According to him, the temperature shouldn't go below 6 degree or so. The service costed me 3250/-. He is a known and recommended person in town, and has done the job neatly.
Old 17th March 2015, 13:18   #57
BHPian

After several attempts to reproduce the problem without success, I finally gave up and complained to whitefield service manager. He scheduled an appointment and shared that they think the problem might be in the thermistor or relay, both of which has been changed for now at a cost of Rs 2550/-. I didn't want to spend this money in the "hope" it will fix the issue. They offered to deduct the cost spent at this time from any additional repairs in future that may be necessary to resolve this problem. For now, it seems things are going well, but I'll really need a very long drive to know for sure.
Old 19th August 2017, 13:10   #58
BHPian

I have a similar problem in my car. The AC works perfectly fine in city conditions. The moment I take the car to the highway and do reasonable speeds then about 30 minutes post that no cool air comes from the AC. I took the car to Suresh car AC (Chennai). Suresh understood the problem and said that the problem could be thermostat and replaced the thermostat. Unfortunately that has not solved the problem as last week I was on the highway to Pondy and faced the same issue again. Any views on what the actual problem is and what the resolution will be?

Once the car is stopped for sometime or run without AC for sometime (at least 30 minutes) and then if I switch on the AC back it works perfectly fine.

Last edited by searacer932 : 19th August 2017 at 13:22.
searacer932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 15:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I have a similar problem in my car. The AC works perfectly fine in city conditions. The moment I take the car to the highway and do reasonable speeds then about 30 minutes post that no cool air comes from the AC. I took the car to Suresh car AC (Chennai). Suresh understood the problem and said that the problem could be thermostat and replaced the thermostat. Unfortunately that has not solved the problem as last week I was on the highway to Pondy and faced the same issue again. Any views on what the actual problem is and what the resolution will be?

Once the car is stopped for sometime or run without AC for sometime (at least 30 minutes) and then if I switch on the AC back it works perfectly fine.
I am pretty sure the issue that you have is Ice formation. After running for some time ice forms on the cooling coil thus reducing air flow which further increases the formation of ice. I had this issue in Fiat Palio and it took me a while to pin point the issue. There can be many reasons for Ice formation which a good technician will be able to identify.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2017, 19:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

Based on my experience and some other recent experiences in few official reviews threads, possible culprits could be

1. Relay for compressor - it doesn't cost much, so change and see if it fixes the issue

2. See the car engine temperature when this happens. For some reason if the engine overheats, the engine control unit shuts off AC.

3. The icing issue as mentioned earlier

4. Thermostat - already replaced

Last edited by arjithin : 19th August 2017 at 19:12.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote