Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd January 2008, 17:16   #76

Always try and fill it to the brim. Unless I don't have enough money to do so.
Yoyo.Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:07   #77
BHPian

May be a view from a different angle. Rather than telling how much fuel I put in, I would like to tell an experience. This happened to me a couple of times at two different pumps in Hinjewadi, Pune. When I reached at the bunk there were very few vehicles. When I parked next to the pump and stepped out of my car, one of the attendant asked for the key (M800). The other attendant was filling petrol in a bike. The first attendant opened the fuel cap and started involving me in a discussion about the fuel cap. And while I was talking the other attendant just inserted the dispenser in the fuel tank opening and started pumping. When I glanced just at the counters instantly, it was already showing 4 litres. I told him he continued the counter after filling the petrol in that bike, he refused to accept it. It was my mistake not to check. But later I realised that it is ploy they use to rob extra money from people. One person involves the customer, and while he's not looking they start pumping. I fill to full tank always and hence I know how much mileage I get per litre of petrol. The car that gives 19.5 gave 17.4 that time. The calculations showed me, I was cheated for 150 rupees.
My solution to this from the next time? I don't hand over the key to attendant, but open the cap myself and that too only when an attendant comes to me with the dispenser and I check 0 at the counter. This way he just can't insert the dispenser without my approval.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 18:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

i always do tankful when the reserve light comes up in the car and same for the bike
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 14:58   #79
BHPian

Default Refilling Fuel to the Brim , is there a problem

My friend just asked me this question and I didn’t have an answer to it .
When refilling the fuel in your car .
Is there a problem when the refill is done till the brim of the cap ? should we leave some volume of air in the tank and not fill it to the brim
When the fuel is burnt there is a vacuum created, in ideal case the the tank should shrink because of the vacuum .
How does it work ? I know this might sound like a silly question, but just want to get more insight.
Refilling Fuel to the Brim, is there a problem

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2008 at 15:16. Reason: Search please
sandeep3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 15:37   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

never top the tank to the brim, it'll spoil the fuel pump.
always stop at the first automatic click of the fuel nozzle.
refill when tank is at one fourth level for cars. lesser fuel iin the tank, more chances of settled impurities to get sucked into the fuel pump and engine. also fuel pump has to work harder so increased chances of early pump failure.
refill when half tank for tall vehicles, keeps centre of gravity lower so better handling.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 16:00   #81
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I use the tank full to tank full method. I do not brim the tank, but do leave a little space for the fuel to expand.

I usually drive till there is about 3 litres in my tank and then tank up again!

Cheers,

gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 16:07   #82
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't hand over the key to attendant, but open the cap myself and that too only when an attendant comes to me with the dispenser and I check 0 at the counter. This way he just can't insert the dispenser without my approval.
Hi shipnil,

I once face the same situation, but caught the guys before they could do so. One of the attendants pointed to my right rear tyre saying that it was loosing pressure whilst the other guy inserted the nozzle into the tank opening.

If your car has a remote fuel release switch, you face this problem. Now, I get out of the car, then bend down open the fuel hatch and then walk over a remove the cap myself and then ask the attendant to insert the fuel nozzle.

Always be on your guard when going to a petrol pump.

Cheers,

gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 16:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't hand over the key to attendant, but open the cap myself and that too only when an attendant comes to me with the dispenser and I check 0 at the counter. This way he just can't insert the dispenser without my approval.
i've never faced this problem. i usually visit 3 different pumps in south mumbai depending on which area i am in or how big the lines at the pump are. The attendants at these pumps always insist that i get out of the car and check meter zero before they start pumping in fuel.

P.S. I however, do agree that the habit of getting out and checking zero meter is the best no matter what.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:50   #84
BHPian

Default Fill it, Shut it, Forget it (for a week)!

1. What is your Car ?
-Santro Xing (2005)

2. Which of the above practises you follow to refill the car ?
Choice#1. Fill it to FULL always. So refilling is not required that often.

3. How much of fuel you generally fill in each time (on average)?
25 - 26 Ltrs

4. Why do you feel your practise is good for your car ?
-Agree with all of this as stated by

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Man that was hillarious!!!

Unless one is involving in some serious racing on the roads, full tank ideally shouldnot be the root of any problem.

Best practices:
1) Always fill petrol when early in the morning or late in the evening when the climate is relatively cooler, the density of fuel is highest when the climate is cooler. The air inside the fuel expands when the temperature rises hence the quantity is lesser for the same units compared to when the temp is cooler.

2) Always fill the tank to max to minimise the empty space inside the fuel tank as air inside that empty space causes faster evaporation of the remaining fuel.

*A fuel tank which is always kept at max returns highest mileage due to lesser evaporation and air bubble in the fuel line problems.

3) A full petrol tank doest affect the cars handling at all...infact it helps most front engine cars but counter balancing the distribution of weight...an empty tank simply means more weight in the front, obvious uneven weight distribution, affected handling!!!
Masda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:37   #85
Senior - BHPian

1. What is your Car ?
-Hyundai Getz 1.3

2. Which of the above practices you follow to refill the car ?
Choice#1. Fill it to FULL always. So refilling is not required that often.

30-32 Ltrs (I always stop on auto cut)

4. Why do you feel your practice is good for your car ?
-I feel full tank is best for me because my daily commute is 56 kms so I dont have to get troubled looking at the fuel needle every second day!

Generally, refuel cycle comes every week, so I get it done every Friday evening after office.

Getz user manual says the fuel tank capacity is 45 Ltrs but my needle reaches near Empty at around 30 Ltrs mark (although the low fuel indicator lamp has never come on). Dont know whether this is a problem that needs to be looked into!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 15:57   #86
BHPian

. What is your Car ?
Swift VXI ABS

Full tank once the fuel guage reaches half tank. Refuelling is done early morning or late night.

Full Tank - 43ltrs. Fuel type: Speed/Power/Shell Super/IOC Xtra Premium

4. Why do you feel your practice is good for your car ?

Because a full tanks has the following advantages:
a). Less evaporation
b). Ready for a long drives anytime
c). If I have a full tank, I don't have to worry about unexpected fuel shortages
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 16:24   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
Full tank once the fuel guage reaches half tank

Full Tank - 43ltrs.
How come you fill in 43 ltrs every time and at the same time, you say that you refuel 'once the fuel guage reaches half tank'. So your Swift has a 86 ltrs tank??
Old 4th November 2008, 17:27   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
How come you fill in 43 ltrs every time and at the same time, you say that you refuel 'once the fuel guage reaches half tank'. So your Swift has a 86 ltrs tank??
What he meant was he fills in fuel upto full tank (which is 43 liters total capacity) once it reaches half mark. Unless ofcourse he's driving a truck with a swift badge!
Old 4th November 2008, 18:44   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What he meant was he fills in fuel upto full tank (which is 43 liters total capacity) once it reaches half mark. Unless ofcourse he's driving a truck with a swift badge!
I know dude, was just kidding to highlight the pitfalls of copy pasting from the previous post
Old 5th November 2008, 10:30   #90
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I know dude, was just kidding to highlight the pitfalls of copy pasting from the previous post
Hi Nishant, I was just sharing my inputs by answering some common questions .
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote