Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th February 2011, 23:58   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tyre Profile, Chassis Setup and Handling

Another case is the Swift VDi. The peppy performer comes with worst possible tires, and after tire upgrade the Dynamics move on to a different level altogether. I upgraded to 205 section tires on 16" rims on my Swift and wow what an amazing entertainer it became, the steering became heavier and the grip levels improved without upsetting the typical Handling it's known for.

In comparison the Punto D is not quite an performer, but my Punto came with 195/60 R15 tires which despite poor GT3 have endless grip for the weak performer.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 12:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Its a similar case with many manufacturers, the old 800 used to come with 125 or 135 non radials (right size 145 radials), the swift comes with 165s (right size 185), beat with 155 i guess (right size 175), lancer with 165 and 175s (right size 185, 195s), alto 1.1 with 145 (right size 155,165s) and lastly the ANHC with 185s (right size 195s). Only car in which it is dramatically puny is swift, 165s on both Diesel and Petrol are like

Baleno too had puny ones, only car from marutis stable that comes with right tires is sx4 leave apart vitara

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th February 2011 at 12:35.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 14:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Its the market that drives the tyre set up as far as i see. Swift comes with those standard tyres to maximize the FE. I guess its the same case with Jetta that comes with 205/55/R16 while the Passat comes with a little broader 215/55/R16.

The broader tyre definitely improves the stability at least in Swift. I am yet to change my tyres that have run 39K. Planning to change them at 40K and will definitely look at broader ones if i can fit them.
Attached Thumbnails
Handling - Factors that influence it!-12.jpg  

VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 15:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well OEM tires are generally optimised for fuel efficiency and not a very spirited driving. Also, in case of the Swift, The car's suspension is stiffer for the sporty handling.
I think the OEM tires with considerably tall sidewalls help in softening up the jerks a bit.

Indica comes with 175/65, which are wide, and short side walled. Grip is good, and since the suspension is soft, a taller sidewall would worsen the handling. At the same time, this profile on R14 makes the big car look severely under tired. R15s would do loads better...
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

The OEM stock tires IMO is just to meet the standards and give the customers the best combination of tire life, FE and ride quality. People who drive spirited and need support from the car itself or the tires would need to upgrade to wider ones.

Some cars like the Merc's, Audi's, Skoda's and in Fiats, the car dynamics itself comes into picture and minimises the need of upgradation of tires to a great extent. Its a + anyways to upgrade.

IMO, out of some of the recent cars I drove very spiritedly:
- A couple of 90's Audi(dont remember the model name): Do not call for upgrade.
- Skoda Superb and Fabia: Does reasonably well with Stock tires.
- Swift DZire VDI: Definitely needs an upgrade, the car really feels too light too on the steering.
- My collegues C class: Its too good to drive on it. Definitely too good the stock way.
- TJet I test drove recently: Nothing can beat the wheels provided. Absolutely unnecessary to upgrade.
- Punto emotion Pack: Same as above.
- Punto emotion: Handles the road and pot holes excellently, including high speed corners. Been driving it since some time, over 10k kms in 5 months. Upgrade can be made to avoid scraping the guard at humps.
- Palio: Can live with it. But upgrading is better.
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 20:05   #51
BHPian

some interesting basics about chassis setup and effects of various actions performed.

Racing setup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
agent4ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 00:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Its a similar case with many manufacturers, the old 800 used to ........... lastly the ANHC with 185s (right size 195s). Only car in which it is dramatically puny is swift, 165s on both Diesel and Petrol are like

Baleno too had puny ones, only car from marutis stable that comes with right tires is sx4 leave apart vitara
The current ANHC comes with 175/65R15 tires. Defn undertired in my view for a 115 bhp mill.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote