Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th July 2012, 20:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Oil-like Fluid coming out of the exhaust pipe

Hi,
Is the vehicle mainly used for short journeys? Can you clean the plugs, run for a tankful, and then post pictures of the plugs?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 22:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Please check the oil level with the dipstick, this could also happen if there is excess oil. Drain some if you have to.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 14:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Took the car to MASS yesterday. They were not able to detect the cause of the problem but have ensured me that the car is totally fine and there is no problem in driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
dZired, can you please recheck the engine oil level in your car? Check for overfilling. Let me explain below

What normally happens is technicians fill up sufficient oil up to the required level and add an additive over it. So if your Zen takes 2.5L max and the technician fills 2.5L + 300ml of additive, that would mean there's 2.8L of oil+additive mixture in your sump.

So, check oil level on level ground after the engine has been switched off for at least 20 minutes to let the oil drain back into the sump. The level should be between the Empty and Full mark on the dip stick but not more than 1 mm over the F mark. If there's excess oil please have it drained out through the drain plug. Excess oil is not good for the engine, not only does it lead to frothing of the oil, it will also foul the plugs and increase viscous drag on the engine. In extreme cases it can damage the engine as well.

Also, please note that if you fill in a good quality oil (what oil did they ASC fill?) you do NOT need additives. Just keep changing the oil at regular intervals as specified by MSIL.
I did check the oil level again. Its totally fine. But thanks a lot for your advice. This is a new fact I came to know.
dZired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 14:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Took the car to MASS yesterday. They were not able to detect the cause of the problem but have ensured me that the car is totally fine and there is no problem in driving it.
If the oil level is ok and the car is behaving normally I think you can just ignore it for the time being. But do keep an eye on the engine for any abnormal behaviour.

But I am still curious about what additive and oil they used in your car. The additive and engine flush business is a rip off IMHO.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 14:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But I am still curious about what additive and oil they used in your car. The additive and engine flush business is a rip off IMHO.
Will check and inforrm you about the oil as well as additive. But one thing is for sure, I wont leave the car alone at MASS for servicing so that they cant add some stupid additive without my prior information.
dZired is online now   Reply With Quote