Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 23:58   #1
BHPian
 
FlyinLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Question Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers?

Hello everyone,

Its quite obvious that the company workshops of each of these high end cars charge a bomb for the same work which would be much cheaper outside. I do see a lot of Beemers, Mercs & Audi's at local garages all around.

I'm just curious to find out who does a good job at VFM prices. Important point is that, the mechanics should know what they are doing and not be experimenting on your cars.

While I would be interested in knowing the ones in Mumbai for BMWs, members from other zones could post too, to help others in their zones.

If possible, do highlight their specialities too ex. painting / denting / modifications / electronics & electricals / tyres / audio repairers , etc.
FlyinLow is offline  
Old 5th August 2012, 11:50   #2
BHPian
 
FlyinLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2012 at 13:24.
FlyinLow is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th August 2012, 12:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,918 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinLow View Post
Hello everyone,

Its quite obvious that the company workshops of each of these high end cars charge a bomb for the same work which would be much cheaper outside. I do see a lot of Beemers, Mercs & Audi's at local garages all around.

I'm just curious to find out who does a good job at VFM prices. Important point is that, the mechanics should know what they are doing and not be experimenting on your cars.

While I would be interested in knowing the ones in Mumbai for BMWs, members from other zones could post too, to help others in their zones.

If possible, do highlight their specialities too ex. painting / denting / modifications / electronics & electricals / tyres / audio repairers , etc.
Depends what you want to get done. There are different sets of people for electricals, suspension, AC, etc based in different parts of town.

For electricals: super auto electrical shop at parel
For AC: super auto's AC shop
Suspension / steering work: Jagdish at dadar
For spare parts: couple of shops at opera house
For oils: City motors opera house
Power windows, central locking, foldable/adjustable mirrors etc: The famous window-walla at French Bridge
Painting: depends on your budget
Tyres: anyone
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 16:16   #4
BHPian
 
FlyinLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers ?

Was not looking at anything specific , but what you posted is just fine.

however, you said, for AC, super auto's shop but not mentioned its location.
For painting, budgetwise categories could also help.
For tyres, I think ,Saifee @santacruz west or Premji's should do.
FlyinLow is offline  
Old 5th August 2012, 21:01   #5
BHPian
 
Harbir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 909
Thanked: 968 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers ?

I discovered the horror of dealership costs when my dad's new Audi A6 3.0T needed an underbody plastic panel replaced. The audi dealer quoted nearly Rs15,000. I argued that it should be fixed under warranty because the leading edge came loose, and the wind caught in the flapping panel and tore it out. they claimed that because the retaining bolts on the sides were in place, that indicated that it had been damaged by impact from below and was therefore not covered by warranty.

I got upset because I knew that what I was saying was what had happened, and said that I was not happy that Audi's policy is to deny warranty claims if the damage done removes evidence of exactly what happened, because in effect it meant that Audi wasn't going to believe its customers on what happened.

So the dealer said that they'll fix it free of charge for the purpose of goodwill. When it was done, they had me sign the bill (but didn't give me a copy). The bill was for Rs4,000, the price of the panel to the dealer. It takes about 10 minutes to install (put it into place, install some bolts. thats it)

In effect, the dealer was charging a 275% markup over the cost to itself of the part!!!

My dad is going to keep the car for the warranty period, and thats it.
Harbir is offline  
Old 5th August 2012, 21:08   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 728
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Depends what you want to get done. There are different sets of people for electricals, suspension, AC, etc based in different parts of town.

For electricals: super auto electrical shop at parel
For AC: super auto's AC shop
Suspension / steering work: Jagdish at dadar
For spare parts: couple of shops at opera house
For oils: City motors opera house
Power windows, central locking, foldable/adjustable mirrors etc: The famous window-walla at French Bridge
Painting: depends on your budget
Tyres: anyone
Hi Tejas,

Where is this window walla at French bridge ?

Is it towards the Dharam palace side
kavesh55 is offline  
Old 5th August 2012, 21:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,918 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi Tejas,

Where is this window walla at French bridge ?

Is it towards the Dharam palace side
Yes, on the right side as you drive towards french bridge. A very small "paanwala" sized shop he's got. Finalize pricing before you start work.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline  
Old 6th August 2012, 03:13   #8
VSD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 346 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I discovered the horror of dealership costs when my dad's new Audi A6 3.0T needed an underbody plastic panel replaced. The audi dealer quoted nearly Rs15,000.

In effect, the dealer was charging a 275% markup over the cost to itself of the part!!!

My dad is going to keep the car for the warranty period, and thats it.

Welcome to the Horror side of owning German vehicles.

I don't know much about Audi maintenance costs, but I have been using the VW Touareg for almost 5 years and i've spent almost 10 Lakhs+ and still bills keep creeping up day after day. I agree its expensive compared to japanese makes, still, 65K for brake pads. Yeah Right !!


Also,

I would like to know if anyone knows places for proper services and parts repair in Delhi/NCR? Someplace where they actually serivce cars and not just ready to scam the customer at every given opportunity.
VSD is offline  
Old 6th August 2012, 12:46   #9
BHPian
 
FlyinLow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 32
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

While Tejas posted of a few guys towards town, it would be nice to read about some decent mechanics towards western suburbs or around Powai area. (Mumbai ).

Come on guys, you won't be held responsible. Just share your experiences. That way, we'll even know the bad ones to be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD
I agree its expensive compared to japanese makes, still, 65K for brake pads. Yeah Right !!
.
wow that's high.
Did that include all 4's. What about rotors and sensors?
I did my Beemer5's rear brake pads set for Rs 25k from Navnit. (no rotors or sensors included)

Was quoted 31k for a single tyre Bridgestone Re50 , which is available outside for Rs20.5k. I got the Yokohama Advan ZPS put in for 18k.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2012 at 13:25.
FlyinLow is offline  
Old 6th August 2012, 13:26   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,736
Thanked: 89,313 Times
Default Re: Where do you repair your BMW/Merc/Audi if not with authorised dealers?

Mod Note : This thread is closed. For recommendations on garages etc. please visit The Team-BHP Directory
GTO is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi A6 engine problems. EDIT: Court orders Audi to repair the car rowhun Technical Stuff 106 2nd May 2017 17:55
Alpine authorised dealers atulpatil In-Car Entertainment 8 13th December 2016 11:17
AVA Wheels - Authorised Dealers In Mumbai Epic Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 9 11th March 2009 17:12
JBL authorised dealers in Bangy? Suvrajit In-Car Entertainment 43 11th July 2007 12:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks