Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th August 2012, 14:27   #31
BHPian

Default re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Reacall

I have left my 1.6 S for RTB replacement today at Metro Ford, Lingarajpuram. The SA told me that all petrol models would need a replacement of this part however, for Diesel models of Figo and Fiesta, they would inspect the part first and then decide if it needs a replacement. Thanks a lot Firebird and Amit for the information. I will keep you updated about the work once I receive the car back today evening.

-Nidhi
Srinidhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 18:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Reacall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post
I have left my 1.6 S for RTB replacement today at Metro Ford, Lingarajpuram. The SA told me that all petrol models would need a replacement of this part however, for Diesel models of Figo and Fiesta, they would inspect the part first and then decide if it needs a replacement. Thanks a lot Firebird and Amit for the information. I will keep you updated about the work once I receive the car back today evening.

-Nidhi
Cannot understand the difference between a diesel and petrols twistbeam and why Ford differentiates.
Is it because diesels outnumber petrol models and they want to check only the ones that need a replacement in diesels, ?

Got a call from Metro Ford, Lingrajapuram reminding for the third service. Asked the girl on the line about the recall, she had not idea, obviously. Will be visiting them tomorrow anyhow to get the replacement.

Last edited by tharian : 9th August 2012 at 18:39.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 18:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is it because diesels outnumber petrol models and they want to check only the ones that need a replacement in diesles, so they need not replace all?
Not sure about that but I vaguely remember SA saying about some part (in the RTB) which I think is specific for petrol models hence the reason. Will try to get more details and put it here.
About the recall, even I did not get any letter/mail/call from ford. Got to know from the forum and called them. Looks to me that they are doing the recall in phases one city after another. If you look at it , its mostly Pune and Mumbai folks who are intimated by the company. That said, if somebody goes there on their own getting the information from other sources, they are entertaining them.

-Nidhi
Srinidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 10:22   #34
BHPian

A big tanks to Riju (rjstyles) for informing me about this. I was not aware about the recall. I entered my VIN and it is part of the program.
I had given my car for service on the 17th of July but there was no mention of this.
Need to follow up with the St.Marks Road Metro Ford Guys.
Thanks to Firebird for starting this thread.
yajaman99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 13:42   #35
BHPian

Got the car back yesterday. They have changed the RTB FOC. About the diesel models, ford is changing the RTB of them as well. There was no problem with my RTB as such but the ford people changed it for safety reasons. I was told that there is an additional hose which also was a part of this field service action. In my car it was proper hence they did not change it.

About the ride quality, there is no difference as such, as told by other members here. The reason could be that mine was anyway proper.

Thanks everyone again for providing this info.
-Nidhi
Srinidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 15:14   #36
BHPian

I left my car at Lathangi at 10am today. They are going to replace the RTB and now I got a call that they will check the power steering hose and if needed will replace that as well. Work is in progress and will get the car at 6 in the evening. Will update once I drive and see the difference if any.
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 17:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Got the RTB replaced today at Metro Ford, Lingrajapuram on my 1.2 Figo. Left the car around 2 and the car was ready when i went at 4. However had to wait an hour since they hadn't washed and done a test drive.

Visually there seems to be a difference in the design of the beam . The ride quality feels the same as well.. There seems to be some creaking noise now and then after the replacement which wasn't there earlier.
On enquring, the replaced part is imported but couldn't get a clear answer as to.why it was being replaced.
It holds good for diesel and petrol cars.
There were around 4-5 cars getting this done when i was there.

Thanks for the headsup Firebird

Last edited by tharian : 10th August 2012 at 17:45.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 19:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinidhi View Post

-Nidhi
Are you sure it is all petrol models, or only those manufactured after 2008? I did check the field action url and got a message that my car is not in the list.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 19:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Are you sure it is all petrol models, or only those manufactured after 2008? I did check the field action url and got a message that my car is not in the list.
RTB is replaced for Figo and Ford Classic vehicles manufactured between January 2008 and December 2010.

PAS Hose is replaced for Figo and Ford Classic petrol-engined vehicles manufactured from September 2010 till February 2011

Thats what their facebook page says.

-Nidhi
Srinidhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 21:51   #40
Team-BHP Support

Just back after getting the RTB (Rear Twist Beam) changed in my Figo at Metro Ford. Unfortunately this visit to Metro Ford was not as good as before. I reached at 11am and thought of sticking around there since they said it will take 3-4 hours. Even though job card was prepared fast, the car was taken in only at 1pm! I got my car finally at 6:30PM.

Job was completed by 3pm but again after that nothing moved. Car was again left unattended. When I went and asked, I was told waiting for body wash. Asked them not to wash and return the car.

When I asked them to jack up the car to show the work done I saw an unpleasant sight. For titanium variant the RTB has the ABS wires running over it. The wire runs over the RTB and has neat plastic clips where the wire is held onto the RTB.

They need to remove all the clips from the old RTB and fit them onto the new one. The clips are not designed to be removed so they break off. They don't attach very well to the new one either. Out of 5 clips, only 2 were salvaged, the remaining 3 broke. So as a result the broken clips were replaced with ungainly looking white plastic cable ties. To add to the mess, one of the cable ties came off while driving it out from the ramp, as a result the ABS wire was dangling very close to the exhaust. Obviously Metro Ford dont keep those clips and neither has Ford supplied them as part of the RTB replacement kit. They have ordered a new set and will call me once the stock arrives.

Metro Ford was very slow today. For a straight forward replacement, I lost an entire day thanks to them not being able to cope up with number of cars.

I don't blame them for the clips that broke off the RTB. Ford should have provided the clips along with the RTB kit. Replacing them with cable ties is a normal procedure is what the SA told me. After the replacement shouldn't the work look like an OE job.

After the replacement, there was no change in the way the car behaves. It feels a little better since the RTB also house the rubber bushes. Newer bushes and tightened suspension results in a tighter feeling. Although I am getting a faint sound when I go over sharp bumps. Need to observe this in details. Since the RTB removal involves dismantling the entire rear drum brakes and then assembling them again, they have changed the hand brake setting. My hand brake now only clicks once max 2 compared to earlier 4-5 clicks.

Pictures:

Old RTB removed:
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-20120811_133717.jpg

New RTB going in:
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-20120811_133916.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 11th August 2012 at 21:59.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 05:39   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They need to remove all the clips from the old RTB and fit them onto the new one. The clips are not designed to be removed so they break off. They don't attach very well to the new one either. Out of 5 clips, only 2 were salvaged, the remaining 3 broke. So as a result the broken clips were replaced with ungainly looking white plastic cable ties.
Metro Ford was very slow today. For a straight forward replacement, I lost an entire day thanks to them not being able to cope up with number of cars.

After the replacement, there was no change in the way the car behaves.Since the RTB removal involves dismantling the entire rear drum brakes and then assembling them again, they have changed the hand brake setting. My hand brake now only clicks once max 2 compared to earlier 4-5 clicks.

I also got the rear twist beam replaced yesterday. I fixed an appointment at 7:30 AM in the morining and reached there at 7:30 AM. Work started at 8:15 AM and was almost complete at 10:15 AM. Even I was apprehensive of the plastic clips but mine seemed to be replaced with new ones. i could not see any plastic wires. I also experienced the same behvaior with my hand brake. Even though the car the RTB work was done and car was ready by 10:00 AM, I got the car only by 12:30 PM due to delay in washing. I also went to their washing area. Metro Ford is unable to handle the weekend rush. The entire area was packed. The supervisor in the washing area told me that he gets to leave at 10:00 PM on saturdays and suggested me to come on Sundays for service. I got a body wash and interior vacuuming done for free.

@Vid6639 - What colour is your Figo? I was at the entrance around 11:00 AM.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th August 2012 at 09:26. Reason: fixing the quote tags
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 09:25   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post

@Vid6639 - What colour is your Figo? I was at the entrance around 11:00 AM.
Mine is a white Figo with the stickers on the back. I was hanging around the waiting area till 1pm to see when the work would start. Did he give you frech clips for ABS wiring or did he reuse the old ones?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 12:46   #43
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Reacall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I called up the local Ford workshop and was told that the RTB would be inspected first and if required replaced, however when I pointed out the website message the lady on the other end confirmed they would do the replacment.
Got the RTB in my Fiesta replace over the weekend. Took the car at 9.30 am and was out by 4 pm. I could see there were atleast 9-10 RTB's replaced on that particular day. The RTB in my Fiesta as informed by SA had developed an inch crack, hence the replacement was inevitable. It seems most of the RTB's replaced that day had cracks easily locatable.

Hats off to the SA and Ford for the effort. Had clicked some pics of the RTB but the qaulity was not good, hence not posted.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 13:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Thank you amit and firebird for the information. I checked the VIN of my Figo D and it requires check of Rear Twist Beam and if found faulty, it will be replaced free of cost.

Got an appointment this Saturday with the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Thank you amit and firebird for the information. I checked the VIN of my Figo D and it requires check of Rear Twist Beam and if found faulty, it will be replaced free of cost.

Got an appointment this Saturday with the dealer.
Got the RTB changed yesterday. The guy checked it with a gauge and found the original one faulty.

Another person with a titanium figo had also come in to get it checked but his was found ok.

The service guy first check it with a gauge and if the gauge shows the RTB as fine, they spray it with a red colored liquid and check for cracks. If RTB passes both the tests then no need to change, if it fails any test then change is required.

The red color seen is the color of the spray used to check the titanium figo whose RTB passed the tests. Mine did not go through the spray test.

Some pics taken at the dealership:

Old RTB:
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-dsc_0563.jpg

New set of RTB's at the dealership:
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-dsc_0565.jpg

Old Vs New RTB:
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-dsc_0567.jpg
Diesel lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 16:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Mine is a white Figo with the stickers on the back. I was hanging around the waiting area till 1pm to see when the work would start. Did he give you frech clips for ABS wiring or did he reuse the old ones?
I don't remember seeing any cars with Team BHP stickers. In fact, I was expecting some. The clips on my car looked new. They were neatly done. I went in the workshop when he was almost done.

I could see many rear twist beams dumped near their workshop.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote