Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th August 2012, 09:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

It's really sad to see a brand new car having to go through this dissection. I can only imagine how you guys must be feeling.

I seem to think that companies here in India have not really equipped themselves well enough to handle the kind of volumes that they are playing with or intend to. I mean, 10 days & such a serious issue still persists. I wonder if it's lack of customer orientation or a genuine lack of resources.

And a Wagon R as a replacement for an 8 lac rupees car? That's the icing on the cake.

Good luck mate, please keep updating the thread.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 15:03   #17
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

Update as of 2:30 PM 21/08/2012

The car has been examined by the engineer from Maruti. He suspects the crankshaft is the cause, as there is a notch on it where oil seal fits. It causes a GAP and oil leaks through that. We are not convinced with this, as the oil leak did not happen till 8k kms. If it was the issue the OIL leak should happen from beginning.

He is investigating other aspects as well.
S5157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 19:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
He is investigating other aspects as well.
Issues like these on brand new cars, which share the swift platform and more so, on the diesel versions have shook my faith in Maruti QC. This is nothing to be repaired & then forgotten about. I mean Engine problems, really, on a new car??

If oil leaked from drain nut/valve cover gasket/oil filter, you'd have been happy with a repair. But, seriously, pull up your socks, make a hue & cry over this issue. I doubt what was defective from the factory can be rectified by some Maruti 'technicians' in a shed. Press for a new car & if not, atleast a new engine.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 20:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Issues like these on brand new cars, which share the swift platform and more so, on the diesel versions have shook my faith in Maruti QC. This is nothing to be repaired & then forgotten about. I mean Engine problems, really, on a new car??

If oil leaked from drain nut/valve cover gasket/oil filter, you'd have been happy with a repair. But, seriously, pull up your socks, make a hue & cry over this issue. I doubt what was defective from the factory can be rectified by some Maruti 'technicians' in a shed. Press for a new car & if not, atleast a new engine.
Hello JustCause,

We have already informed the Maruti team that if issue cannot be fixed without dismantling the engine, we will not accept the vehicle.

Awaiting final update mail from Maruti on the analysis.Its indeed a shame that this type of QC issues occur on a car.
Old 22nd August 2012, 20:53   #20
BHPian

Update as of 22/08/12 8:50 PM.

No communication from Maruti yet. It seems they are not trying to communicate on records (Email). They seem to cover up something( either a QC issue at company or human error at dealership that caused the damaged to crankshaft). We need to escalate this issue to higher ups in Maruti. Its been 18 days the car is out of service.

Anybody has contact details of maruti apart from contact@maruti.co.in

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Call up the regional office in or closest to your area & speak with some superior guy over there. I can give you the email address of a guy from Maruti's Delhi office, in case, you are unable to find anything in your area. Let me know, since I believe that this guy may at least direct you towards the company etc.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Update as of 22/08/12 8:50 PM.

No communication from Maruti yet. It seems they are not trying to communicate on records (Email). They seem to cover up something( either a QC issue at company or human error at dealership that caused the damaged to crankshaft). We need to escalate this issue to higher ups in Maruti. Its been 18 days the car is out of service.

Anybody has contact details of maruti apart from contact@maruti.co.in

Thanks in advance
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:41   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I know a Regional service manager for Maruti who really helped a lot when we wanted a set of new keys. But he is in charge of Karnataka region. Not sure if he will be of help for Kerala. Have PMed you his number. Check if he is of any help. Hope your problems get resolved at the earliest.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:21   #23
BHPian

Uploading few more photos of area of OIL leak with and without OIL seal.

Just found another thread on automotiveindia.com that some else is also facing OIL leak issue in Ertiga.
http://www.******************.com/fo...l-leakage.html
He is in better stage that TSM has agreed to take the engine to Maruti. In our case they wanted to try with changing crankshaft at the dealer premises.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-ertiga-1.jpg  

Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-sam_7972.jpg  

Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-sam_7973.jpg  

Last edited by S5157 : 23rd August 2012 at 12:34.
Old 23rd August 2012, 23:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

thanks for counting on me. i will repeat and add some more that i replied in your PM.

please note that half engine assembly is as follows.

please confirm if they are doing the same and take a quote of the same.

1. brand new block.
2. brand new pistons and rings and related parts like bearings etc.

basically the old head is used and lower parts is changed and re-assembled.

now engine assembly is not a small thing. make sure its done by an expert. as this engine is very advance and if not done properly your car will sound like a tractor.

hope your car comes back in action fast.

-K

PS: Its definitely a manufacturing defect. and your block is the culprit. hence i suppose they agreed to do the half engine thingy. possible engine change if possible in warranty is advised.

Thanks

Last edited by SirAlec : 23rd August 2012 at 23:42.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 04:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
thanks for counting on me. i will repeat and add some more that i replied in your PM.

please note that half engine assembly is as follows.

please confirm if they are doing the same and take a quote of the same.

1. brand new block.
2. brand new pistons and rings and related parts like bearings etc.

basically the old head is used and lower parts is changed and re-assembled.

now engine assembly is not a small thing. make sure its done by an expert. as this engine is very advance and if not done properly your car will sound like a tractor.

hope your car comes back in action fast.

-K

PS: Its definitely a manufacturing defect. and your block is the culprit. hence i suppose they agreed to do the half engine thingy. possible engine change if possible in warranty is advised.

Thanks
As per the update from Maruti, They will be re-using the old head/starter motor/air conditioning from old engine and rest of the parts will be new.We have agreed to this only if regional tech lead from maruti to be present for doing the job.

Many thanks for the reply to the PM.
Old 24th August 2012, 15:42   #26
BHPian

Update as of 15:00 Hrs today:

Engine replacement is in progress. The old engine is being taken off the car as I write this.
Old 24th August 2012, 20:11   #27
BHPian

We shall wait for the updates. In the mean time, it would great if Ertiga LDI,VDI and ZDI owners pitch in & pour in their feedback on their drivetrain performance / issues if they have encountered any till date.

MJD owner, plus planning for a Ertiga VDI booking for my friend.
sriramr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 21:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Update as of 15:00 Hrs today:

Engine replacement is in progress. The old engine is being taken off the car as I write this.
Thanks a lot for regular updates. I am glued to this thread. Kindly also post pictures of the work in progress.
Ravindra M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 09:06   #29
BHPian

Update as 3:00 AM 25/8/2012:

After a marathon effort of 13 hours the new Engine is now mounted on the car. It was fired up 2:30 AM and it just came alive. The team from Maruti and dealer workshop did testdrive for around 30 kms and no issues was found. More importantly no OIL Leak.

They will do a second round of long testdrive today again.

The Team Leader from Maruti, Service center head, senior engineers from dealers main service center in Kochi and few SA's from this service center and a mechanic worked hard through the night. We too were present the whole time with them.

Lets hope this fixes the issue.

Unfortunatly I did not take any PICS during the work as not to disturb the team.They were working very passionatly on this.
Old 25th August 2012, 21:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update as 3:00 AM 25/8/2012:

After a marathon effort of 13 hours the new Engine is now mounted on the car. It was fired up 2:30 AM and it just came alive. The team from Maruti and dealer workshop did testdrive for around 30 kms and no issues was found. More importantly no OIL Leak.
thanks for the update!!

very glad to hear that your car is back in action.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2012 at 16:27. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Helps readability. Thanks
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote