Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 26th August 2012, 01:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

Maruti should have taken the engine to analyse the cause of the leakage. Not just because it could not be repaired. It shows their utmost lack of interest in closing unresolved issues.
Yes they do have the network but the bullet proof reliability is no longer there.

Anyway always great to have the car back.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 08:33   #32
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Maruti should have taken the engine to analyse the cause of the leakage. Not just because it could not be repaired. It shows their utmost lack of interest in closing unresolved issues.
Yes they do have the network but the bullet proof reliability is no longer there.

Anyway always great to have the car back.
Hello Oxyzen,

Maruti has replaced the half-engine that includes the cylinder block/pistons/crankshaft/connecting rods etc. The leak was from the crankshaft rear oil seal and they will take the faulty halfengine to factory for analysis so that they could find the root cause.

From my point of view eventhough there were few hiccups initially they handled the issue pretty well with regular updates.They have allocated their south zone technical lead to work on this issue along with two very experienced technical resources. I have been there personally through the whole process and was impressed with thier dedication to fix the issue.

I have interacted with several manufacturer's service centers and I am satisfied with Maruti than others. Probably that explains why we had eight cars from Maruti stable alone from 1992.

Coming back to current status:

Car has been delivered to us yesterday evening after an additional test drive of 100 kms by MASS. No issues observed so far. WE are planning for a long drive today to check from our end.

Will keep you all posted.

Last edited by S5157 : 26th August 2012 at 08:35.
S5157 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 11:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post

Car has been delivered to us yesterday evening after an additional test drive of 100 kms by MASS. No issues observed so far. WE are planning for a long drive today to check from our end.

All is well that ends well! I was keen on the way maruti handled the problem and was following the thread with interest all along. My confidence is further boosted by your satisfactory reporting of their handling.

Hope we do not hear anything further in this thread other than you reporting long and trouble-free miles for years to come.
Viswam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 12:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that is service is still up to the mark.
Sorry MSIL for bashing you up.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 21:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting the car back, & it's good to know that the issue did not resurface in the long test-drives that MASS has carried out till now.

Good luck & drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post

Coming back to current status:

blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 08:46   #36
BHPian

Update as of 26/08/2012

We did drive the car for around 150 KMS and took the car to MASS to inspect the engine area after putting the car on the lift.

1. No OIl leak under the engine so far.

2. Traces of OIL above the gear box. The SA suspect the left over of brakefluid which was fallen there while bleeding the clutch.Will do a thorough cleaning today and will check again.

3. MASS lost the cover on the front bumper which is there infront of the right tow hook while doing the test drive.Informed the same to them and they have promised to replace the same.

4. They did their test drive with around 15 PSi airpressure on front RH tyres. We found this when the car was delivered to us and has to go back and fill it to right pressure. We suspected a puncture but the checked the tyre pressure in the eveing yesterday ( after 24 hrs)and no loss in pressure was observed.

5. No unusual sound or increase in noise after the replacement. It performs the same as new car. We are driving car in the Run-in mode now as the engine was replaced.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 08:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen
Good to hear that is service is still up to the mark.
Sorry MSIL for bashing you up.
I'm not sure how many cases of unresolved issues you've seen from Maruti to make a blanket statement like that. Some statistics would help!

We have a Ford, Nissan and a Hyundai in our extended family and I personally drive an Ertiga. When it comes to service nothing can beat MASS in resolving issues. I also sometimes visit Ford and Nissan service centres for servicing the Fiesta and Micra. The whole experience cannot match upto MASS.

I graduated from a Swift. That Swift was totaled in an accident and it was serviced be MASS in Coimbatore (500 kms away) while I stayed in Chennai. My car was delivered in 3 weeks in showroom condition driven by the service advisor all the way from Coimbatore for a nominal fee.

Such is the quality of their service that left me mighty impressed! I BLINDLY booked the Ertiga without even a test drive! Reason for going Maruti again? Their astounding service!
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 09:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Reason for going Maruti again? Their astounding service!
I second that opinion. My 2+ years 30K Swift clutch was replaced FOC by Maruti without any hiccups when it started jerking. So is the quality of their service. I may blindly go for another Maruti without worrying because, now I know they'll be there to FIX it if something happens.
bhp_maniac is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 21:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

its definitely the defect during the forging of the block at factory. may be some deformation or contamination in the sand molds.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 01:31   #40
BHPian

I have observed the same issue on my ritz vdi. In my case, oil is leaking from the gearbox and the oil sump. I have found traces of oil on the bottom part of the oil sump and the transmission and MASS have also agreed an leak. But the strange thing is that till now I am unable to find even a single drop of oil on the pavement and the 'always constant' oil level backs me from any further thought.
Just keeping my fingers crossed
junaid12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 09:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
its definitely the defect during the forging of the block at factory. may be some deformation or contamination in the sand molds.
This is concerning. If deformation is the case, I guess this will be appearing in more vehicles.

Is the Swift, Ritz, Dzire and SX4 using the same block?
thoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:53   #42
BHPian

Update after some more long drives.

1. No more OIL leaks.
2. MASS has cleaned the engine bay and no more traces of oil now anywhere.Looks like SA's belief was true. The oil above gearbox was the brakefluid spilled while doing the clutch bleeding.
3. MASS has procured the lost tow hook cover and will be fixing it FOC after painting it.

So I hope the issue is resolved and I wish I dont have to update any bad news anymore on this thread.
S5157 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 16:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This is concerning. If deformation is the case, I guess this will be appearing in more vehicles.

Is the Swift, Ritz, Dzire and SX4 using the same block?
no as each block has individual sand molds.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 17:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

where is the engine# stamped in the ddis engine?
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 20:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
where is the engine# stamped in the ddis engine?
why??

here lies the number.

Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-engine-block.jpg
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote