Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th August 2012, 11:36   #1
BHPian

Exclamation Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

Dear All,

My close friend owns an Ertiga VDI. It has run 8K in two and half months.The second service was done at 5 K.

Last sunday I recieved a call from him stating that there is oil leakage under the vehicle in his garage. I rushed to his place and on inspection we found that there is oil dripping from transmission case. But during a close look it looked like OIL was not leaking from there but from somewhere above the transmission as traces were found there as well.

We checked the engine oil level using the dipstick and it was in between low and high mark.The initial suspect was OIL sump but there was no leak found there and no damages as well. We then called up MASS and they promised to come next day morning to check. Unfortunatley me or my friend was not available on next day due to work commitments. The MASS guys came and drove the vehicle to Service center, instead of towing.

They identified that leak is from SUMP packing and it was replaced. The entire engine oil was drained and we asked to replace the oil with new OIL as the old oil has already completed 8K. Service center claimed that they have seen this issue in new dzire and swift diesel versions.

Does anybody else has such issues in their Ertiga/Swift/SX4/Dzire which shares the same engine block?
S5157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 08:01   #2
BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

The OIL leak issue is not fixed by changing the OIL sump packing. It seems it was a wrong diagnosis by MASS. The issue is raised again and today we are expecting the mechanic from MASS to check the car at home and to decide on further action.

We think it is time to escalate to Maruti and do further checks under the supervision of some engineer from Maruti.
Old 12th August 2012, 08:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
The OIL leak issue is not fixed by changing the OIL sump packing. It seems it was a wrong diagnosis by MASS. The issue is raised again and today we are expecting the mechanic from MASS to check the car at home and to decide on further action.

We think it is time to escalate to Maruti and do further checks under the supervision of some engineer from Maruti.
Can you try and get us a picture of the oil leak in the engine bay? Should give us some idea to help you here
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 11:55   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Dear All,

My close friend owns an Ertiga VDI. It has run 8K in two and half months.The second service was done at 5 K.

Last sunday I recieved a call from him stating that there is oil leakage under the vehicle in his garage. I rushed to his place and on inspection we found that there is oil dripping from transmission case. But during a close look it looked like OIL was not leaking from there but from somewhere above the transmission as traces were found there as well.
Does anybody else has such issues in their Ertiga/Swift/SX4/Dzire which shares the same engine block?
I have witnessed this issue at my mechanic's place last week on a Brand new Swift, The said customer had this issue since 2 months and inspite of 2 oil changes the issue persisted.

What basically happens is, the engine oil keeps dripping consistently. The main culprit was the Faulty OIL FILTER. He replaced it with the new one and the problem seems to have gone.

What M.A.S.S did in the last 2 instances was to just change engine oil, but the oil filter was never replaced. My mechanic said, there might be ONE batch of faulty oil-filters where this issue might occur. Infact it happened on my M-800 too sometime back.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 12:39   #5
AWD
BANNED

Of late Maruti's quality has taken a sharp dip in lieu of Quantity. I've noticed numerous Swift & Dzire diesel owners complaining of one or the other issues. Dealership/Service center work is below par compared to say Honda or Toyota.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised, the best A.S.S of the country is struggling to diagnose a simple issue with a faulty oil filter. That should one of the easiest culprit to bust if one could trace the source of the leak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I have witnessed this issue at my mechanic's place last week on a Brand new Swift, The said customer had this issue since 2 months and inspite of 2 oil changes the issue persisted.

What basically happens is, the engine oil keeps dripping consistently. The main culprit was the Faulty OIL FILTER. He replaced it with the new one and the problem seems to have gone.

What M.A.S.S did in the last 2 instances was to just change engine oil, but the oil filter was never replaced. My mechanic said, there might be ONE batch of faulty oil-filters where this issue might occur. Infact it happened on my M-800 too sometime back.
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 17:31   #7
BHPian

Dear All,

Quick Update:

The car is taken to MASS again and I could personally go and do the checks.This time we chose to get the car to the MASS of the dealer from which the car was purchased.

The senior technician was called for this(he came even though it is a weekly off).He checked and found that issue is due to the OIL seal ( Outer crank shaft oil seal) is gone bad. In fact he showed a company circular which states this issue on specific VIN numbers of diesel SX4/Ertiga/Swift affected by this issue and resolution.

The Oil seal is not ready available and will be procured. To change the same , the Gear box/ Clutch assembly including the Flywheel has to be removed.

I had also got a chance to speak to the works manager and he mentioned that he will report the same as FTIR (Field Technical Inspection Report) to Maruti as the product is less than six months old and it is the first Ertiga with this issue. He assured that Maruti regional technical manager would also be kept updated on this work.

It is indeed a pain to see a new car being ripped apart for this work but lets hope this fixes the issue.
S5157 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 22:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Really sad but look at the bright side, since its part of recall it will be done free of cost. Do you have any idea which series of VIN's have this issue? might be useful to others.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 22:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Really sad but look at the bright side, since its part of recall it will be done free of cost. Do you have any idea which series of VIN's have this issue? might be useful to others.
Hi Jaggu,

Unfortunately I could not note down that information. I will try during my next visit.

Now coming to current status. The gearbox and clutch is out and OIL seal was replaced. But leak still persists through the seal.

I have now escalated the issue to regional technical manager in Cochin and he has promised to have a look at it tomorrow and if needed will assign direct Maruti Engineers to analyse the issue.

Lets see what happens tomorrow.
Old 17th August 2012, 22:16   #10
BHPian

Update:

The car was delivered today with the assurance that issue is fixed. I have driven the car for 100 Kms and issue persists!. There is lot of oil on the floor. I haven't informed my friend yet as he will be heart broken to hear this news.

I have called up the Maruti regional Manager and informed this issue. He promised to look into this tomorrow morning.

Looks like we got a lemon!
Old 17th August 2012, 22:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

thats very unfortunate on a new car. Please update the thread with images.

I am hooking unto this thread for resolution. The DDiS is very beautifully built. haven't encountered any problem. we have owned two of the cars having this.

This can be a one of case.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
thats very unfortunate on a new car. Please update the thread with images.

I am hooking unto this thread for resolution. The DDiS is very beautifully built. haven't encountered any problem. we have owned two of the cars having this.

This can be a one of case.
I have uploaded a snap which I managed with the phone camera.

We too had a Dzire which was used for four years and 94000 Kms without any issues. That was sold to buy this car
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-oil-leak-small.jpg  

Old 18th August 2012, 00:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have uploaded a snap which I managed with the phone camera.

We too had a Dzire which was used for four years and 94000 Kms without any issues. That was sold to buy this car
definitely coming from clutch housing. now there are two major places and minor place where oils will spill in this area.
1. flywheel side (engine oil)
2. gearbox side (gear oil)
3. hydraulic clutch system.

expert will definitely make out just by looking at the condition of the inside of bell housing.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 20:33   #14
BHPian

Update as of 18/08/2012:

We have escalated the issue to TSM and two senior technicians ( Silver Master) was called to inspect. We too were present during the process.

The steps carried out,

1. Removed the gearbox and clutch assembly.
2.The traces of oil leak could be seen on the outerside of the crankshaft oil seal.
3. The OIL seal was removed and we could see OIL dripping. As per the technicians this oil should be drained through a hole to the OIL sump.
4. They inspected the drain hole and it is not clogged.
5. They wanted to further dismantle the engine which we opposed and insisted that we need some one from Maruti directly and do further analysis.

The request was accepeted and and two engineers from Maruti will be coming to the workshop on Tuesday to continue troubleshooting.

Note: A replacement wagonr is provided by the dealer till the issue is fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ertiga VDi - Engine oil leak. EDIT : Issue resolved on Page 3-ertiga-oil-leak-tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by S5157 : 19th August 2012 at 20:59.
Old 20th August 2012, 01:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Update as of 18/08/2012:

We have escalated the issue to TSM and two senior technicians ( Silver Master) was called to inspect. We too were present during the process.

The steps carried out,

1. Removed the gearbox and clutch assembly.
2.The traces of oil leak could be seen on the outerside of the crankshaft oil seal.
3. The OIL seal was removed and we could see OIL dripping. As per the technicians this oil should be drained through a hole to the OIL sump.
4. They inspected the drain hole and it is not clogged.
5. They wanted to further dismantle the engine which we opposed and insisted that we need some one from Maruti directly and do further analysis.

The request was accepeted and and two engineers from Maruti will be coming to the workshop on Tuesday to continue troubleshooting.

Note: A replacement wagonr is provided by the dealer till the issue is fixed.

I really feel sorry that this saga continues for over 10 days now, with no resolution in sight. It is hard to digest a new being repeatedly teared down like this. Although one off, this causes alarm bells ringing I hope the problem is rectified immediately and your troubles come to end.

Since we are awaiting an Ertiga ZdI delivery anytime now, i am following this very closely. Pl keep updating.
Viswam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote