Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th July 2009, 15:53   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I'm also interested in getting a tacho for my Alto. Would the one from the A-Star or newly launched Ritz fit into the Alto? I like them as they are very well designed for an on dash fit.
I just posted exactly the same thing 2 minutes ago in the Tachometer thread. "Great minds think alike,_". I'm sure some fool would like to complete that statement.
Furious55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 12:29   #17
BHPian

Red face Odo readings ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Haha I'm 3 years late, but let me share my experience. I had an Alto LXI and the speedo console got damaged when the car went for painting. The painter managed to get the full dashboard including the speedo from an accident damaged and scrapped Alto VX. This was fitted in my car and worked perfectly. The cost was Rs.1500 only.
Hi I understand the alto vxi speedo works on the lxi but do the odo settings reflect on the newly fitted speedo or of your original car ? I.E. do you retain your orignal kms on the newly fitted speedo ?
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 13:17   #18
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Hi I understand the alto vxi speedo works on the lxi but do the odo settings reflect on the newly fitted speedo or of your original car?
I reckon that they will go back to '0' based on the new console fitted. Don't think it is possible to have the reading set to the current odo that it will replace.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:25   #19
BHPian

Talking Fitted vxi tacho to lxi

Hi I upgraded the lxi speedo to the vxi one with the tacho and it fit without any problems but the kms are turned to 0 because they are stored on the speedo and not in the ecu also with the new speedo I got key in and light on remainder built in.
anky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Thats nice to know

How much did it cost you?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:19   #21
BHPian

@ Anky
Congrats!
Did u manage to redline your Lxi?

I too was contemplating on fixing an aftermarket tacho. Most of the well known makes I found were either for 4/6 cylinder engines.
Also i was not sure whether the tacho of VXi (4 cylinder) would show the correct rpms.

@ GPA
Any luck on the tacho from Ritz?
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:31   #22
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhar's View Post
Any luck on the tacho from Ritz?
Nope, I am going to settle for the A-Star's tacho. Will be ordering it this week and will have it fitted at my MASS duringm y 20k kms service which is due next week.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd September 2009 at 14:45. Reason: Fixed the quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tell us how it goes! I may get it done during my road trip to Bangalore as the couple of MASS I have approached here refuse to do it.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep & once successful do let us know the part number & cost involved
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 10:10   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Post A-Star tach in the Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I am going to settle for the A-Star's tacho. Will be ordering it this week and will have it fitted at my MASS during my 20k kms service which is due next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Tell us how it goes! I may get it done during my road trip to Bangalore as the couple of MASS I have approached here refuse to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yep & once successful do let us know the part number & cost involved
Hi, I'm not sure the A-Star tach is a direct fit on the Alto. The A-Star tach comes with a very short wire & a connector at the end. Looking at it, it appears the tach connects to Zxi instrument console. I advice checking out how it's actually connected in the A-Star & its' compatibility with the Alto before ordering.

P.S. In any case, the part number of the A-Star tach is 34200M68K00, I can post a pic from the parts catalog if it's of interest...
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 10:33   #26
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, I'm not sure the A-Star tach is a direct fit on the Alto. The A-Star tach comes with a very short wire & a connector at the end. Looking at it, it appears the tach connects to Zxi instrument console. I advice checking out how it's actually connected in the A-Star & its' compatibility with the Alto before ordering.

P.S. In any case, the part number of the A-Star tach is 34200M68K00, I can post a pic from the parts catalog if it's of interest...
Thanks for this update. I had asked my mechanic to check if it can be fitted onto the Alto and I'm waiting for his reply before I can place an order for it. It will be very helpful if you can post a pic from the parts catalogue.
Old 4th September 2009, 15:16   #27
gpa
Senior - BHPian

im_srini,

My mechanic just called and he said that the tacho for the A-Star draws the signal directly from the ECU, so it will not be possible to fit it in the Alto. He didn't place the order for the tachometer, instead he checked an A-Star ZXi that had come in for a regular service and called me just now with the update.

Can you still post the picutre of the cataloge that will confirm this. A few Bhp-ians like vid6639, Technocrat and Gansan were all keen on getting the tacho fitted and it will help us all.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 5th September 2009, 04:54   #28
BHPian

Cool Alto vxi tacho @ 1500

Hi I bought the vxi speedo for 1500 rs brand new and odo reading at 0 km but the actual cost is 3500 approx ... The reason the guy gave it to me cheap is because he had bought 35 speedos in the july 06 rains for damaged cars and it was unsold stock he wanted to get rid off...There is a slight crack on the glass due to inproper storage...but for 1500 its a steal...I also removed the green covering of the speedo bulbs and now the color almost matches that of the swift(orange)...I did manage to redline my alto lxi and it maxes out at 5200rpm where the rev limiter cuts in...The alto speedo is digital ...has 2 connectors and takes rpm signal from ecu direct ...I have service manual and have studied it.Light on remainder feature has been added to my car because of this upgrade.
anky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:28   #29
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The alto speedo is digital ...has 2 connectors and takes rpm signal from ecu direct ...I have service manual and have studied it.
anky,

This is an interesting post. Can you post pictures or upload a scanned copy of the manual with specific reference to the tachometer and its connections to the ECU?

I just enquired with my mechanic to fit the A-Star tacho and he said that since the tacho draws its signal source from the ECU, it would not be possible to fit it on the Alto.

Perhaps with your manual, I will be able to figure something out.

Thanks in advance,
gpa
Old 5th September 2009, 14:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I did manage to redline my alto lxi and it maxes out at 5200rpm where the rev limiter cuts in...The alto speedo is digital ...has 2 connectors and takes rpm signal from ecu direct ...I have service manual and have studied it.Light on remainder feature has been added to my car because of this upgrade.
Alto specs says 47 ps @ 6200 rpm. I guess the engine wont acheive this on real world.

Please do share the service manual. Will of great help.

Regards,
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote