Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th September 2012, 16:49   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Zen: Injector pulse width

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
The problem with these 2 wire O2 sensors is that they are very slow to respond. (they don't have an inbuilt heater).
It needs to heat up pretty good inorder to work accurately (change over from rich to lean and vice-versa). So, there is a high chance that the sensor doesnt work accurately in lower rpms or at idle.
Check the voltage, when you idle the car and then when you revv it. The change in voltage (from ~0 to 1 volt) should happen reasonably fast, if not instantly. If not, then I guess its time to change the sensor. And, when you are at it, replace it with a 4 wire sensor.
Thanks Jeeva,
I observed the slow response when the engine is in normal operating temperatue. do you still think a 4 wire sensor is required?
When i rev the engine the voltage goes upto 0.9v and takes about 10-15 secs to come to idle rpm.

1. Where to plug the additional wires?
2. Any idea about the cost of a o2 sensor?

One more observation, there is no sign of rich mixture or oil or any carbon deposits on the spark plugs.
the engine runs smooth and no vibrations.

Do you have any idea about the sparkplug cable resistance?
T1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 19:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1000 View Post

1. Where to plug the additional wires?
2. Any idea about the cost of a o2 sensor?

Do you have any idea about the sparkplug cable resistance?
Once the engine is heated up, the o2 sensor should show voltage fluctuations instantly. If not, then it indeed needs replacement. I suggest a 4 wire sensor, as it has an inbuilt heater and so the response will be much faster.

1. The 2 additional wires are for the heater. One will be current (+) and the other ground. Better take it to a professional.
2. I had replaced the same (2 wire with a 4 wire) in an Accent a year back. The Bosch one cost me ~ 2300 bucks.

No, I am not sure about the HT cables' resistance part. But, if at all there was an issue with the cables, it would definitely show up as missing/jerks and all sorts of current related issues.
Do you have an LPG kit installed in the car?
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 22:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Once the engine is heated up, the o2 sensor should show voltage fluctuations instantly. If not, then it indeed needs replacement. I suggest a 4 wire sensor, as it has an inbuilt heater and so the response will be much faster.

1. The 2 additional wires are for the heater. One will be current (+) and the other ground. Better take it to a professional.
2. I had replaced the same (2 wire with a 4 wire) in an Accent a year back. The Bosch one cost me ~ 2300 bucks.

No, I am not sure about the HT cables' resistance part. But, if at all there was an issue with the cables, it would definitely show up as missing/jerks and all sorts of current related issues.
Do you have an LPG kit installed in the car?
Let me explore this option.Thanks jeeva for the input.

I have a cng kit :-)
T1000 is offline   Reply With Quote