Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th September 2012, 17:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Do all Tata cars 'age' permanently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Dev, we all know how most of the taxi's are maintained/used and it wont be right to take the feedback from the cab guys
Never heard an Innova or a Logan guy complain. They are cabs too and have similar usage patterns.

Quote:
Suspensions, clutch related issue is common with all the brands, when they have done a lac km or more.
Lohith, look at the other replies in the thread and other TML threads, for most vehicles. I do not want to get into a debate here but it is well known that TML vehicles wear out faster than other brands. Period.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 17:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I don't want to turn this into another Tata bashing thread. Lord knows we have enough of them. This thread was to find out if it was possible to keep a tata vehicle in nearly as good shape as it was when it was new
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 17:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well i hardly see "logan" taxi's these days, and i see mostly indica/indigo/Sumo and if their was an aging issue, then the taxi industry would have looked for alternatives, remember most Taxi's run a lot of kms in a short period of time....

I knew someone who bought a fleet of Indica/indigo for his taxi agency couple of years back and when i asked why did he consider Tata, his answer was simple "they can be rough used and its easy to maintain them, apparently got a similar answer from another agent aswel.

Dev, neither do i want to debate on this, however am talking on the basis of personal experience and from the experiences of people whom i know, my Honda needed clutch/suspension over haul in 80k kms, Fiat too had a clutch and suspension replacement and same with many friends who use Honda, Maruti, M&M etc

So if someone points on these issues and says TML cars age fast, then that is not fair but yes if the engine fails or some serious fit and finish related issue or body paint/corrosion related issue then yes it can be termed as aging related issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Never heard an Innova or a Logan guy complain. They are cabs too and have similar usage patterns.

Lohith, look at the other replies in the thread and other TML threads, for most vehicles. I do not want to get into a debate here but it is well known that TML vehicles wear out faster than other brands. Period.

Last edited by lohithrao : 6th September 2012 at 17:45.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 17:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

May be you can think of

1. FF Headers - will give few BHp boost at old age.
2. Add some diesel tuning kit.
3. Perform compression test of your engine.
4. Check the clutch.

In another way Indica is taking care of you by not allowing you to cross beyond 90Kmph. It is faithful companion.

Quote:
Well i hardly see "logan" taxi, and i see mostly indigo/Sumo and if they was an aging issue then the taxi industry would have looked for alternatives, remember most Taxi's run a lot of kms in a short period of time....
My regular taxiwalla also driving an Indigo and he cloaked 2.8L KMs (As seen 1.5 months back) in less than 2 years and still going strong. I think by this time he must have crossed 3L KMs.

Last edited by anujmishra : 6th September 2012 at 17:48.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 21:45   #20
BHPian

My two cents at approx 50K/8 years of DLS V2 ownership, the vehicle continues to chug on, the paint quality is good, look at any other car of similar age , the difference is perceptible.

Some portions within the engine firewall have some rust formation , not serious but it is just the begining.

The last year has been a little heavy on my pocket - tyre replacement at 46K, and subsequently one tyre failing within 500 Kms, brake disc and pad replacement - 3K, the alternator packed up prematurely, the tasc folks said it was because of some engine oiling leaking into the alternator - 6.2K, spent another 1.7K on AC cleanup and recharging, the condesor fan has also gotten jammed, i dont know how/why, havent replaced it yet.

So all in all, the car still drives pretty well, gearshift has become effortless :-), some rattles but not deafening. However things do tend to conk off with much more regularity. Especially just after getting it serviced, making one wonder what did our friends at TASC actually do. fix or misfix?

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 6th September 2012 at 21:47.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 07:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Did you use engine flush or decarbonization at any point.
There is mixed opinion but my feeling is if you do regularly it helps.

I have seen Indica taxi with 1.85l km going strong.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:10   #22
BHPian

I own a indica turbo for 6 yrs now done 70k kms. I feel the engine is as good as new.

What irks me is the plastics and interiors. They simply fall off with time. The ac knobs assembly - the switch which is used to change the vents has got stuck and apparently the whole assembly needs to be changed. The outer case has cracked.
The dashboard has become very dull.

Overall I would say engine has been great but interior sucks big time.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Carbon in the engine will only induce a marginal reduction in performance. So i doubt whether this engine cleaning / flush will work for greenhorn, especially at this low mileage.

EDIT: To Greenhorn: Since you say city running, was the engine operated at optimum temperatures or was it used for quick short trips(engine switched off even before reaching the normal operating temperature?

Quote:
I knew someone who bought a fleet of Indica/indigo for his taxi agency couple of years back and when i asked why did he consider Tata, his answer was simple "they can be rough used and its easy to maintain them, apparently got a similar answer from another agent aswel.
I've got the same answer from one reputed workshop in Coimbatore. This when i asked them which car is better to own when it is always going to be driven in the broken village road.

Last edited by ramzsys : 7th September 2012 at 08:20.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:30   #24
BANNED

Well I have seen indica cabs running fine over 7 Lakh kms after Engine rework. Also I have seen travels who run 20K per month and they say its easy to maintain.
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 08:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

typically 5 to 10 Km trips. I usually drive a bit agressively, and the AC is on, so it heats up fast, but I've never paid attention to the temperature gauge.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 09:11   #26
BHPian

I drive a 7 ye old indigo. In college my circle had a 8 year old sumo and a Tata sierra.oh the fun we had on these vehicles. The owners were happy with their vehicles!
Every 2 months a small niggle would crop up but very easily fixed by a local mechanic.300 rs odd charges.

The cars were efficient people haulers and commanded respect on the road,

If you just expect from the car what it was made to do, it'll keep you happy!

I exchanged my new wagon r for the indigo. I love it!! Even though my car is noticeably weaker in performance than a 5yr old v2 Turbo indica I drove recently.

I have driven 25k this year, no break Downs.good AC in the summer.!!
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:12   #27
BHPian

No matter how much the cab wallah's chug kms but I would be reluctant to invest my hard earned money on a TATA product. May be they might be ignoring several issues and continue driving, which is not possible for private users. A relative of mine sold his 2 year old Indigo CS just because of recurring fuel pump issue and the A.S.S.C was not able to solve that problem! When my Indica was with me, It gave big shocks almost every month. Still I have the replaced suspensions/Rack & Pininon etc with me and whenever I see them, the trauma is revised. The car was very well driven mostly by my dad and very well taken care of.

When the Power steering rack and pinion gave up, almost 500 ml of power steering oil was required everyday (for almost a month) till we found a mechanic and a accidental vehicle to donate that part.The front tyres were prematurely eaten due to the bad suspension and the AC required a gas refill almost every month despite of proper servicing and fixing every leakage and changing every hose. Brake pads were changed thrice and the front discs once. There was uneven wear of both and it was unresolved till end. I had to let go the car with a heavy heart just because the unwanted and frequent issues. We had almost spent 80-90k (excluding regular service & oil changes) on a car which was run only about 50k kms.

My point is, you should not Invest much on the car. If you don't want to sell it, just keep running it with minimal maintenance. Just because the fact that these fall apart relatively soon.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 7th September 2012 at 10:14.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:37   #28
BHPian

I own an Indica Vista. We have done 65K kms in 2.5 years. The engine is as good as new. The car does not rattle. The dashboard has not faded. (It is not black anyway.) Even the body lines look good. All i did outside of regular service was to replace clutch plates at 60K kms. Dunno if it will 'age' once it turns, say 4 years old. But at this rate, we'll not be keeping the car for 4 years. To me, it looks like the car will hold on well for another 3 more years.
DieselAddikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:50   #29
BHPian

Original Question :-
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Do all cars suffer such significant decreases in performance, or is this a tata or a diesel specific thing?
Common comments :- As in a Tata Bashing thread !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
No matter how much care you take, the Indica's age pretty fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
I will affirm that these cars age permenant, despite of taking all the care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
TML cars/UVs, somehow, tend to age faster than the competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
All Tata cars age permanently..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Not sure of the current crops of Tata cars but earlier ones surely aged much faster and not in a fashion that one would enjoy.
The different comments :-
Quote:
we all know how most of the taxi's are maintained/used and it wont be right to take the feedback from the cab guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Especially just after getting it serviced, making one wonder what did our friends at TASC actually do. fix or misfix?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Every 2 months a small niggle would crop up but very easily fixed by a local mechanic.300 rs odd charges.
And I unanimously agree with every one of the above comments.

Am inching towards a very happy 10 yrs with my 2003 Indica V2 DLS (non Turbo). My half a cent.

- All budget cars maintained on a budget, age with time & so does the Indica.
- All of us would acknowledge the difference between a New Quadrajet vs CR4 Indica. After 5 yrs the difference tends to remain similar. One cannot expect the CR4 to better the Quadrajet after 5 yrs.. Believe me, it is quite an effort to find a similar specced car to mine. 10 yrs ago it was either Indica or Palio. I do not see any 10yr old Palio's still running around now(with no disrespect to Fiat).
& It does not make sense to compare to a 10 yr old Petrol car Or the Octavia ?
- Unlike most folks, my expectations from my Indica is pretty low. I do not expect a SuperStar.

@greenhorn :-
- I have never been able to reach 140 kms/hr (right from when it was new). The most I did & am able to do now with more consistency is 125 kms/hr. I do not stress the engine. If it howls, somewhere something pinches my heart & the foot goes off the pedal.
- Quick Tip: Maintain a consistent & well known Fuel Bunk. Inconsistency in fuel quality sometimes disrupted my car's manners. A long drive usually helped to settle back. I have not fueled out of IOC COCOs for 4 yrs now.
- Local Mechanics are proving better than TASC (Good that I tried out - but I have to be there the whole time. No valet parking.). Visit the ones the older Indica cabs go to. They know it all.

All the Best !

Last edited by DieselDon : 7th September 2012 at 10:52.
DieselDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 11:06   #30

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th September 2012 at 11:13. Reason: See note in post
ezhilsundar is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction