Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 18:37   #31
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Sorry for being absent from the forum for quite some time.

Update : All 4 tyres are completely torn. Took the car for Wheel alignment/Balancing, where tyre dealer refused to put new tyres, stating reason that alignment/camber/caster is beyond the correction level.

Took the car back to Skoda workshop, where they made the excuse that their wheel alignment machine is not functional hence they cannot do anything about it. The car is parked since 1 week and after barging my anger today, they told me that rear axles/shockers are also gone, which will be replaced at owner's cost (only shockers will be covered under warranty).

What more, my K&N filter is also gone (someone took it out and replaced it with a normal filter, even after the special instructions were given, not to touch it).

What next ?
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 19:18   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 274
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Sorry if I missed it, but were the dampers (shock absorbers) also replaced as part of the repair in round #1? If possible pls post the Bill so that it can be gauged by experts (not me!) as to what may have gone wrong.
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 09:33   #33
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
tyre dealer refused to put new tyres, stating reason that alignment/camber/caster is beyond the correction level.
This is exactly why I wrote the comment mentioned below:


Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

There is no problem with your suspension so even if you change the entire suspension assemblies the problem will persist.
All that you need to do is just fix a set of new tyres and check your alignment after that. There would be no problem with your rear suspension too.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 10:04   #34
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but were the dampers (shock absorbers) also replaced as part of the repair in round #1? If possible pls post the Bill so that it can be gauged by experts (not me!) as to what may have gone wrong.
No shockers were not replaced in first round. I'll surely post the exact bill, however I have already posted the estimate on page 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This is exactly why I wrote the comment mentioned below:

All that you need to do is just fix a set of new tyres and check your alignment after that. There would be no problem with your rear suspension too.
Alignment cannot be done as the same is beyond adjustments. Also rear tyre are moving apart (in triangle shape, near from the body and away from the road and that is very much apparent), which has no adjustment, so they have to replace the axles to bring it in line before moving forward.

Top of it Skoda managers are simply denying it a mistake at their end/their product and blaming it entirely on me, that I must have banged the car hard somewhere, that too without leaving any trace/scratch on the body

I have given them couple of days time, before moving to Consumer Court.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 10:23   #35
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Alignment cannot be done as the same is beyond adjustments. Also rear tyre are moving apart (in triangle shape, near from the body and away from the road and that is very much apparent), which has no adjustment, so they have to replace the axles to bring it in line before moving forward.

The reason that this is happening is because of the reason given below (another earlier post):

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post

When the canvas on the tyre wall is exposed and additionally cracked to the extent shown here, the tyre becomes deformed during its rotating action – (the area without proper support would compress more than the area with support).
Sorry to hear what you're going through but I am trying to be as simple as possible here: All that you need to do is replace all your tyres. The reason that it appears to be moving apart is because of the several cracks on the circumference which have caused it to deform. Please read all my earlier posts for further clarifications.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 16:23   #36
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes



Thanks for your genuine concern

But no tyre dealer will agree to replace the tyres in this condition. I have already paid for all 4 tyres to a Bridgestone authorised dealer and he did the replacement, but he informed me that the alignment cannot be achieved due to some major problem in suspension/shockers/camber & caster, which cannot be adjusted. After struggling for nearly 45 mins, he took off the new tyres and shodded the old ones and requested me to get the problems sorted before going forward.

I took the car and showed it to Skoda service and they also acknowledged the same and hence kept the car for further inspection, also they advised against putting new tyres unless the problem is completely resolved.

BTW the camber/caster (or whatever it is called) is out by several degrees/huge margin at Rear.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 17:14   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Sorry for being absent from the forum for quite some time.

Update : All 4 tyres are completely torn. Took the car for Wheel alignment/Balancing, where tyre dealer refused to put new tyres, stating reason that alignment/camber/caster is beyond the correction level.

Took the car back to Skoda workshop, where they made the excuse that their wheel alignment machine is not functional hence they cannot do anything about it.
I see you're still with the problems Turbo Head. Did you speak to Skoda India and complain about this new problem?

I remember you mention at the start of this thread that you did wheel alignment every 5000 kms outside of skoda. Do you have those reports as well as the latest one you did and mention on this page when you purchased thee new set of bridgestones? Can you please scan and put it up here. My wheelalighment guy here mentioned to me when I took my yeti to him that in skoda cars you can't adjust caster or camber. What can only be adjusted is toe in and toe out and thats on the tie rod ends. Incase your caster and camber readings are showing that they are out of normal range and if what my guy says is true then I believe your car has something worn out in the suspension or some related links.
The other thing is on the first page of your thred you have posted a photo showing a person with his palms on the wheel. Did you mean there that the wheels moved sideways when he shook it?
Regards

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 5th October 2012 at 17:17.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 18:14   #38
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 818
Thanked: 1,647 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
I took the car and showed it to Skoda service and they also acknowledged the same
How did they acknowledge that your alignment was incorrect when their alignment equipment was not working ? (as mentioned by you).
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 18:18   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,026 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

@Turbo Head

As your issues are not being resolved by the ASC, I recommend this person Mr. Rahul Kulkarni, who I think is their Customer Care Head and sits in Pune. He is solving all customer-care and after-sales issues quite promptly. His details are -

Rahul Kulkarni | Customer Care
Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,
A 605, ICC Towers, S B Road,Pune, India.
HQ- A1/1, Five Star MIDC, Shendra, Aurangabad 431201, India
Tel:020-3093111 E-Mail: rahul.kulkarni@skoda-auto.co.in www.skoda-auto.co.in
customerCare@skoda-auto.co.in

Kindly explain your issues honestly to him. Hope that helps...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th October 2012 at 18:20.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 11:30   #40
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
I see you're still with the problems Turbo Head. Did you speak to Skoda India and complain about this new problem?

I remember you mention at the start of this thread that you did wheel alignment every 5000 kms outside of skoda. Do you have those reports as well as the latest one you did and mention on this page when you purchased thee new set of bridgestones? Can you please scan and put it up here. My wheelalighment guy here mentioned to me when I took my yeti to him that in skoda cars you can't adjust caster or camber. What can only be adjusted is toe in and toe out and thats on the tie rod ends. Incase your caster and camber readings are showing that they are out of normal range and if what my guy says is true then I believe your car has something worn out in the suspension or some related links.
The other thing is on the first page of your thred you have posted a photo showing a person with his palms on the wheel. Did you mean there that the wheels moved sideways when he shook it?
Regards
I have sent a detailed mail to Skoda Customer Care, but they never bothered to respond.

Sorry, I didn't bother to keep the old alignment reports. But can try to get the printout of latest ones.

Thanks for info on caster & camber.

Yes, the wheel was moving sideways when he used to push it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
How did they acknowledge that your alignment was incorrect when their alignment equipment was not working ? (as mentioned by you).
It was done at the Bridgestone dealer in presence of Skoda serviceman. Also the angle of wheels is so high that it is easily visible with naked eye. You can easily see the wheels moving apart from each other, just like Tata/Mahindra/Bajaj 3 wheelers/small pickups I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@Turbo Head

As your issues are not being resolved by the ASC, I recommend this person Mr. Rahul Kulkarni, who I think is their Customer Care Head and sits in Pune. He is solving all customer-care and after-sales issues quite promptly. His details are -

Rahul Kulkarni | Customer Care
Skoda Auto India Pvt. Ltd.,
A 605, ICC Towers, S B Road,Pune, India.
HQ- A1/1, Five Star MIDC, Shendra, Aurangabad 431201, India
Tel:020-3093111 E-Mail: rahul.kulkarni@skoda-auto.co.in www.skoda-auto.co.in
customerCare@skoda-auto.co.in

Kindly explain your issues honestly to him. Hope that helps...
Thanks for providing the details of the concerned person. At this stage any help will be highly appreciated.

Update : The alignment/balancing machine (at JSB Skoda) is working now, They have assured me to return the car after rectification till evening. Though they are tight lipped on the actual issue and total estimate for repairs. My fingers are crossed & hoping for the best.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 17:13   #41
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

I have got the car back, changed the front tyres to Bridgestone.
Check the condition of old tyres :

Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes-img2012100601075.jpg

Their Alignment/Balancing machine was not working (as usual), so they got it checked from some other workshop. Unfortunately same was the story with tyre dealer, So final result (with printout) will be given on Monday. As per diagnosis they told that they have again opened up some suspension parts and did some settings.

Just hoping to get favourable report after alignment.
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 20:41   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,256 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
I have got the car back, changed the front tyres to Bridgestone.
Check the condition of old tyres :

Attachment 996489

Their Alignment/Balancing machine was not working (as usual), so they got it checked from some other workshop. Unfortunately same was the story with tyre dealer, So final result (with printout) will be given on Monday. As per diagnosis they told that they have again opened up some suspension parts and did some settings.

Just hoping to get favourable report after alignment.
OMG!That tyre has been tortured to death! Have never seen any tyre in such dilapidated state ! Please get your alignment proper! Sit on Skoda's head till the values are in favourable range.Otherwise even if you change tyres it will become the same after some time!
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 15:57   #43
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 360
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
The reason for high running has been mentioned above, as for tyres condition, the car was sent for wheel alignment/balancing @approx. 23.5 k kms and nothing ABNORMAL was reported by the tyre centre, however he did mentioned that tyres are wearing bit faster maybe due to the fact the GoodYear has softer compound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
In an indirect way, yes – let me clarify. If you look at the tyres (these are Apollo Accelere’s) – they have worn out about 95% already.
If I haven't got any of you wrong, the old tyres were GoodYear and not the Apollo Acelere.

@Turbo Head, sorry to hear about your damage. Cases like this, reminds me that I'm also driving a ticking bomb, not sure whether or when it will get detonated. God bless all seemingly happy Skoda Car owners.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 12:18   #44
BHPian
 
Turbo Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
OMG!That tyre has been tortured to death! Have never seen any tyre in such dilapidated state ! Please get your alignment proper! Sit on Skoda's head till the values are in favourable range.Otherwise even if you change tyres it will become the same after some time!
I am again sending the car for alignment today, hope to get the favourable result today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
If I haven't got any of you wrong, the old tyres were GoodYear and not the Apollo Acelere.

@Turbo Head, sorry to hear about your damage. Cases like this, reminds me that I'm also driving a ticking bomb, not sure whether or when it will get detonated. God bless all seemingly happy Skoda Car owners.
Sorry my bad, the tyres were Apollo Acelere. Sorry, which bomb (car) you own ?
Turbo Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 16:38   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 360
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Skoda Rapid(ly) Overhauled - Suspension & Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Sorry, which bomb (car) you own ?
Till now very happy owner of my Fabia 1.6, wish there will be a happy ending to the ownership.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda's Advisory on the Rapid's brakes VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 50 5th September 2016 22:54
A red hot rapid install in a red hot (Skoda) Rapid Samridh In-Car Entertainment 28 18th August 2013 00:49
Skoda Octavia at 175k kms- Suspension, Brakes, Axles etc overhaul query metanoia75 Technical Stuff 1 26th November 2011 12:54
Gypsy - Overhauled!! rmonie 4x4 Vehicles 70 4th October 2010 00:06
Problem in partly overhauled 5 speed maruti 800 ramkris Technical Stuff 19 3rd August 2010 13:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks