Team-BHP - Stereo, lights etc working WITHOUT key in ignition
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Stereo, lights etc working WITHOUT key in ignition (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/126914-stereo-lights-etc-working-without-key-ignition.html)

I have come across a weird electrical problem in my Ritz VDI. Last evening, after I parked my car and I removed the key from the ignition, I was shocked to see my music player was still on. It is a factory fitted unit (one which comes fitted in ZXi), and was fitted at the time of the delivery of the car. Noticing this, I tried turning the headlights on and was noticed even the headlights were lighting up without the key in the ignition. (Earlier only the parking lights would light-up without the key).

Wanted to know if anyone has been in similar situation and what may have caused it. My car is 2 years old and done about 12K Kms.

Most probably a short in the ignition control area, which is providing power to the electricals (stereo, headlamps) even when the position of the key in off position is supposed to cut out battery supply to most things.
Have it checked by MASS, does not sound too complicated, and should be solved without much issues.

PS. Until this issue is rectified, make sure to keep EVERYTHING off, i.e. headlights, cabin lights, music player, anything attached to the 12V power outlet.. EVERYTHING!! You don't want to end up with a drained battery.

Hey I thought this (headlights can be switched on without keys) is the default "feature" of the Maruti cars. Same is the case with my Zen. But I feel this is useful in the situations where you need the light and still have to lock the car for safety.

The music system of my Fiesta can also be switched on without the ignition key, but this too is useful as the music can still be played by the passengers when I am not in the car and have to take the key with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trave11er (Post 2914696)
The music system of my Fiesta can also be switched on without the ignition key, but this too is useful as the music can still be played by the passengers when I am not in the car and have to take the key with me.

No Way !! It doesn't, please have your car checked with the service centre or try out methods mentioned above. Its not a feature, rather it poses a problem where you might end up draining your battery and making its life very short.

Edit: Wanted to check, just realised after posting, is your fiesta the New Gen Fiesta or Classic as now it is told ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec (Post 2914735)
No Way !! It doesn't, please have your car check with the service centre or try out methods mentioned above. Its not a feature, rather it poses a problem where you might end up draining your battery and making its life very short.

Edit: Wanted to check, just realised after posting, is your fiesta the New Gen Fiesta or Classic as now it is told ?

Ohh is it? I never thought this can be a problem. But I think this is the case with all the Fiestas I have seen.The music system does not remain ON automatically, but I can switch it on after removing the key. This might be the reason that the battery is not drained.

I have the 2010 model of Fiesta (now Classic).

HI trave11er

It does happen in my Figo as well. The player can be turned on for an hour. Then it turns itself off. The SA told me that this is a feature and there is nothing to worry about. I even saw a Tata Indica Vista where the player could be turned on without the ignition being on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur (Post 2915069)
HI trave11er

It does happen in my Figo as well. The player can be turned on for an hour. Then it turns itself off. The SA told me that this is a feature and there is nothing to worry about.

Hey nice observation. I never tried to keep it on for 1 hour without the key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayson (Post 2915296)

There is a slight difference here. In your case, the ICE can be switch on after the key is removed, but if it was on while the key was engaged, it will turn off when the key is removed. It has to be restarted afterwards, and will run in the limited time mode. In the OP's case the ICE remains on even as the key is removed which is a defect.

Yes you are correct. The music system is switched off when I remove the key and it restarts automatically (if left ON while removing the key) when the key is inserted. Otherwise I have to explicitly switch it ON.

It might be a short Relay. Locate which is the relay responsible for ignition in the fuse-box and try replacing it.

Note from Support Team - All the Discussion related to WD40 has been moved to a new thread

WD-40 / Zorrik : Uses, Restrictions, Limitations & Pitfalls

I tried inserting and turning the key vigorously and it is working fine now. I think some elements were stuck inside due to the monsoon humidity.