Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th September 2012, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Default Bolero VLX Crde 2011, 29k kms done, loss of torque ?

Hello All;

I have a Bolero, VLX, Crde, 2011 model. It has done 29k kms. I have done 3 free service check-ups (5k, 10k, 15k) with authorized centres, and one with Raghav (20k) at Ignite garage, Chennai. I was told that my next service check-up is at 30k kms.

On a recent trip to Kodaikanal, I noticed a considerable loss of torque while climbing up the slopes. Those slopes that would normally be gulped down by my bolero, were looking rather insurmountable. So much so, that when I kept the vehicle at half-clutch, there was no power generated when I pressed on the accelerator. To my dismay, there was no revving sound even when I floored the accelerator pedal. Further, the vehicle kept switching off when I tried to make it move with just half-clutch.

I had to back-up a bit to gain some momentum, upon which the vehicle would climb up the slope. There were just two occupants in the vehicle (including myself), and no luggage.

What could be the reason for this behaviour ? What kind of pointers should I give to Raghav when I give my vehicle for the next service ?

Pointers/leads are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shyam
shyamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 16:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bolero VLX Crde 2011, 29k kms done, loss of torque ?

This is a classic case of loss of power.

You need to check whether the red band of Air Filter is visible or not. If its visible, then it means air is not going to engine and hence fuel is not being burnt. If ir Filter is all right, you need to check the accelerator sensor. The Bolero CRDe is a drive by wire vehicle and the accelartor sensor is responsible for fuel flow into the injection pump. Because this is a ECM vehicle, you'll need to go to the ASC to get the fault code checked on the scanner.

On a side note, the VLX CRDe comes with a 2 year warranty so if this component has failed, you should get it replaced FOC. However warranty becomes null and void if vehicle is serviced outside ASC during the warranty period. So you might want to think how you need to approach this.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 11:58   #3
BHPian

Thank you for your quick response.

I have also noticed that the lack of seat-belt audio "Do wear your seat-belt for a safe drive" has disappeared.

Could this be related ?

Thanks

Shyam
Old 26th September 2012, 04:30   #4
BHPian

Actually I have noticed a considerable difference in low end power and pick up after cleaning the air filter of the Scorpio and swift. The filter choked indicator was never indicating red in those cases. So clean your filter wether or not the indication is there.
As a good practise I clean the air filters every 5000kms. Both are pad type in nature so all they need is a good dusting. I don't know if the bolero has a circular one or a flat one.
Off Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 12:06   #5

Is the Engine Check lamp or OBD lamp glowing on you instrument panel? The vehicle could have gone into torque limitation due to any faulty sensor
shreyaskr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Where did you fuel up? The Storm is sensitive to fuel quality, especially in mountain terrain.

Is it performing OK in Chennai, or at sea level?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 16:48   #7
BHPian

I fuel up only in Chennai. However, during that particular trip to Kodaikanal, I had re-fuelled it in Trichy.

As per the advice of the kind folks in this forum, I took it to an ASC and asked for an ECU check-up.

The issue here is that the service centre folks refuse to do it !! In fact, they refuse to believe me when I give them enough data points regarding the issues that I face.

Further, the standard claim is that there is a clutch plate issue, and the entire assembly needs to be replaced, which sounds rather bogus.

So, does anyone here have some contacts within an ASC in Chennai ? I have tried India Garage, MPL and Zulaikha motors, without any success.

Thanks
Shyam
Old 25th October 2012, 11:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
I fuel up only in Chennai. However, during that particular trip to Kodaikanal, I had re-fuelled it in Trichy.

As per the advice of the kind folks in this forum, I took it to an ASC and asked for an ECU check-up.

The issue here is that the service centre folks refuse to do it !! In fact, they refuse to believe me when I give them enough data points regarding the issues that I face.

Further, the standard claim is that there is a clutch plate issue, and the entire assembly needs to be replaced, which sounds rather bogus.

So, does anyone here have some contacts within an ASC in Chennai ? I have tried India Garage, MPL and Zulaikha motors, without any success.

Thanks
Shyam
Send an email with your complaint to Mahindra Customer Care with specific complaint that ASC refuses to do scan. Write specific names if you can. And then sit back and watch the fun.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 23:18   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Are you still facing that issue? If so, the probable causes will be:
  • Chocked Air Filter
  • Turbo Plumbing issue
  • Fueling issue.
Sort out one by one. btw, is there lot of black smoke?
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 14:17   #10
BHPian

Default Sudden loss of power in Bolero SLX 2WD

Yesterday evening while I was driving my Jan 2012 M2DICR 42K done Bolero, suddenly, while accelerating in 5th gear the jeep seemed to have lost power (very similar to what used to happen when a 2 wheeler runs out of fuel). The jeep instead of accelerating began decelerating and the moment I eased my foot off the throttle and again depressed it, things were normal for some time. Fearing I may be running low on fuel (hoping that only to be the case), I rushed to nearest filling station and filled in some more diesel. However, after driving couple of more kilometers the problem resurfaced (more frequently) and I had to release and depress accelerator in a similar manner as described above. The jeep idles well, no problem while idling or re-starting, no engine work ever done- just the normal servicing at authorized service station.

Any one got some idea what might be the case? I havenít been to the service station yet, moreover, wanted to consult Team to at least have some idea about the possible cause of problem before heading to the dealer.
jeepster_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Sudden loss of power in Bolero SLX 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
Yesterday evening while I was driving my Jan 2012 M2DICR 42K done Bolero, suddenly, while accelerating in 5th gear the jeep seemed to have lost power (very similar to what used to happen when a 2 wheeler runs out of fuel). The jeep instead of accelerating began decelerating and the moment I eased my foot off the throttle and again depressed it, things were normal for some time. Fearing I may be running low on fuel (hoping that only to be the case), I rushed to nearest filling station and filled in some more diesel. However, after driving couple of more kilometers the problem resurfaced (more frequently) and I had to release and depress accelerator in a similar manner as described above. The jeep idles well, no problem while idling or re-starting, no engine work ever done- just the normal servicing at authorized service station.

Any one got some idea what might be the case? I havenít been to the service station yet, moreover, wanted to consult Team to at least have some idea about the possible cause of problem before heading to the dealer.
this could happen in case if the fuel tank breather is blocked creating vacuum inside the fuel tank in which the rate of supply to pump will reduce slowly. to confirm if this is the case, you could open the fuel lid, close it again and then drive. initially the vehicle behaves normal and after few KMs the problem would resurface. if this is not the case, then you could check the fuel filter. the filter would be clogged but not fully, reducing the flow rate. you could change the filter and check once.
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 09:41   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Sudden loss of power in Bolero SLX 2WD

Thanks! for taking time to read and respond to my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
you could open the fuel lid, close it again and then drive.
In fact, I did so. When initially the problem surfaced I immediately rushed to a fuel filling station and topped up the jeep with diesel. So, the fuel lid was opened and closed. However, the problem resurfaced after driving a couple of kilometres. Moreover, what I noticed yesterday evening while driving back from office was that for the initial few kilometres the jeep drives normal but once the vehicle runs out power (when the said problem occurs for the first time), it keeps on reoccurring very frequently with me easing of the throttle and depressing it again very frequently.

So as you suggested the cause could also be the clogged fuel filter? But the fuel filter was changed about 5-7k kilometres back during 35k service (I am not sure about the exact kilometres though but it was changed). So is it possible for the fuel filter to get clogged in less than 10k kilometre run after it was changed. I always fill from a reputed filling station at our place ever since I bought this vehicle and never had such problem. Please advice.
Old 5th June 2014, 09:30   #13
BHPian

The problem has been resolved. The issue in fact was very small and seemingly unrelated too. Yesterday, I took a day's off from office and went to the dealer. He connected the laptop to the jeep and found out that there was some issue with the break (light). It wasn't connected properly (loose connection-make & break type) and hence was sending wrong signals to the on board computer and prompting the jeep to cut off the accelerator. I have test driven the jeep extensively after wards, with enough fuel and in reserve as well and driven it at high speed for prolonged distances, no issue as of now.