Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 19:35   #16
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default My dear Pramod will you plz tell us which car u are having???????

no text in this message.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 22:53   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
It is 100% electrical issue,I advise you to change all spark plugs and even alternator if all fails coz I have seen one esteem having a same probe in recent times and that guy had probe in his alternator.(he suffered for 10 days to solve this probe for your info),Do let me know your car model,fuel type(Hope you are not using LPG),total KMs of run you had so far.I wish you all the best.
Dear ECM Mine is a 98 model carb esteem LX no ecm no scary electricals. my breaks work even if the fuel pump dies (touchwood)
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 08:22   #18
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I think now I can suggest you a concrete solution.One guy here had the same prob is his Esteem.
Solution:-Try changing your alternator and 99% your prob will solve.The best way is to replace it by taking a loan(take fm your friend's car for a test)and test it else MASS ppl will put a new one and charge accordingly.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 20:16   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
I think now I can suggest you a concrete solution.One guy here had the same prob is his Esteem.
Solution:-Try changing your alternator and 99% your prob will solve.The best way is to replace it by taking a loan(take fm your friend's car for a test)and test it else MASS ppl will put a new one and charge accordingly.
Hey ECM what is this alternator??? is it the small black cylendrical thing to which the ignition coil is connected ????

pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 21:08   #20
BHPian
 
wolfinstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 994
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

pramod bhai , the alternator will be having a belt around it...as it runs a dynamo inside to produce power...! It will be closer to your engine Fan-AC Fan belt system..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 22:08   #21
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
Hey ECM what is this alternator??? is it the small black cylendrical thing to which the ignition coil is connected ????

No way you can remove alternator by yourself so better to go to a service station and tell them to remove it,btw the shown part by u is a coil and one connecting screw is missing in it!
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 21:14   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Hey guys sorry,

I This was the thing which my mechanic thinks is deffective. sorry for the ignorance
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2006, 22:26   #23
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
Hey guys sorry,

I This was the thing which my mechanic thinks is deffective. sorry for the ignorance
Pramodbhai aap bhi aap ki gaddi ki tarah jatak jatak ke bol rahe hai ! LOL,No issue,try that part and if fails change alternator.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 01:00   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

hey change the ignition coil nd see..even if after this it does not solve the problem..check the alternator..get a voltage test done to see how much current its generating..if its less ..get it overhauled...give it to ur trusted mechanic..he will change the parts inside...nd it will be as good as new..u ll save a lot of money...instead of buying a new..one..which is daamm costly..nd if the voltage test turns out fine..then..get ur carburetor overhauled again..its definately definately the carburator then..give it to the maruti authorised service station..they charge 550 bucks or so for the overhauling of carburetor nd plus parts...get back..with the results
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 17:14   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Hey humyum,

Thanks for the reply. One of my friend said it may be the fuel that i am using(speed or extra premium) these fuels are not made for the carb engines and they hence tend to knock at higher speeds. Now i am planning to get all 4 spark plugs changed and get a new fuel tested if my car works fine then its the fuel but if it still causes any issues then. i will definately get other things checked.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 18:18   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Hey guys

guess what happened today. i drove my car at 130km/h and it did not knock. today i got the car to my local mechanic he checked the alternator and told me that every thing is fine. then i got the ignition timing checked and it was a little bit out and now every thing seems fine. i will change the spark plugs and the ignition coil next month just for my satisfaction .I will also get my alternator serviced this month.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 19:12   #27
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
Hey guys

guess what happened today. i drove my car at 130km/h and it did not knock. today i got the car to my local mechanic he checked the alternator and told me that every thing is fine. then i got the ignition timing checked and it was a little bit out and now every thing seems fine. i will change the spark plugs and the ignition coil next month just for my satisfaction .I will also get my alternator serviced this month.
[quote][
Got the tapits checked got the spark plugs checked one of the spark plug used was a wrong one( used in scooters) but the mechanic said this is used because of more oil consumption. i used extra premium petrol before now i use speed( not the 97 octane) and the problem still persists. the knowcking happens at 5th gear some where at 90-110 kms/h. i am having a very hard time with this car as i just paid 3500 bucks for a minor paint job and paid 1000 Rs for A/C servicing now i have completly lost my calm . Its now ok because no mechanic is able to understand this issue. they do their bit but still i have the same problem. thanks for your responce guys/QUOTE]


Now I suspect your mechanic behind this fault dear Pramod.In your first msg u wrote that he has checked tapits and plugs and one plug was of scooter(who planced it inside is a big question!!Answer:Your mechanic only!)I wonder why on first case he did not check ignition timing with light meter?In future just go to a proper mechanic/ASC to avoid such probs where they carry all the tests step by step.Good luck and nice to see your prob is over now.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 20:39   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Hey ECM

The Omen is back now the car is also doing it at a low rev at 20-40km/h. So i suspect its somthing to do with the coil. The mechanic said he did this cause it was drinking a lot of oil. As i said now i will take it to a autherised guy. or i have a cousin bro who has a w/s in delhi i may take it to him tomorrow.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 20:51   #29
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
Hey ECM

The Omen is back now the car is also doing it at a low rev at 20-40km/h. So i suspect its somthing to do with the coil. The mechanic said he did this cause it was drinking a lot of oil. As i said now i will take it to a autherised guy. or i have a cousin bro who has a w/s in delhi i may take it to him tomorrow.
Oil thing is totally different one Pramod and it has something to do with the compression,check compression for all CYLs.Knocking has also a direct relation with heat,check coolant/change it as per user manual,when u last changed it?What if u ever run your car in high temprature?Is Gasket faulty?Does any plug shows a sign of water when u take it out?Many things can be behind this as now I smell this prob bit serious when u talked about the Oil business(consumption).
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 21:03   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Oil thing is totally different one Pramod and it has something to do with the compression,check compression for all CYLs.Knocking has also a direct relation with heat,check coolant/change it as per user manual,when u last changed it?What if u ever run your car in high temprature?Is Gasket faulty?Does any plug shows a sign of water when u take it out?Many things can be behind this as now I smell this prob bit serious when u talked about the Oil business(consumption).
Hey ECM

this is what the mechanic said about the plug and i changed the coolant last month the car has done 2000kms after that. so i think i sould get it done and the best part is it dosent knock infront of a mechanic . I think there is some psychologic thing with the car . but it is quit embaracing as i cannot take it any where with my family as they tend to get worried when this happens. regarding the compression ratio can you throw some light on it like where can it be done and the cost involved and some basic knowledge about it. i am alos intrested in decarbonisation as i have never done it and the car has done 59000+. Tell me aout the cost of this as well
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th Gear Slip at speeds higher than 120 - Palio 1.6 Gtx vinit.merchant Technical Stuff 44 8th November 2011 12:55
Harley knocking - Help needed gthang Superbikes & Imports 35 2nd August 2011 23:18
Higher Tax on 2nd car & A car(bon) free day subbarao The Indian Car Scene 46 30th December 2009 15:51
Fiesta 1.4 help... Engine knocking Joshua.911 Technical Stuff 15 16th November 2008 21:20
Nagging Engine Knocking in MPFI Zen - Help! newcoolgadgets Technical Stuff 7 11th May 2007 09:38


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks