Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 27th April 2006, 14:06   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Let me also add that it's not like a HUGE dimming or anything, just that Rudra's a fussy sort of chap that cannot tolerate the slightest imperfection
My dear Sir, can we eliminate that slightest imperfection? Don't tell me it can't be done...
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 14:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin

I intend to upgrade to a slightly bigger woofer amp (PA275) in both cars. That would increase capabity maginally and will report if this marignal increase pushed my battery to the point where light dimming is noticed.
PA is one of teh smallest amp I have seen. I get your point Navin ( you meant more wattage )

As I said my car has a PA275 and Pio 6000f; no dimming and teh battery is OEM ( I doono which; will chck if needed for you guys)

Karthik, what next?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 08:47   #18
BHPian

Lightbulb

well should have gone for Amaron...
i had installed it in my old sierra...
didnt give any problems till 3.5 years after which i sold the car so done know if the new owner had any isssues...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 09:12   #19
BHPian

The battery on my Palio D went dead once. My wife was driving and was trying to manipulate a steep climb from stall. The ac and the music system was on. The engine stopped a few times as she wasnt an expert. This happened for a few times. And then the car wudnt start at all.
The battery had gone dead. I poured in some distilled water in the battery cells, most of them were dry (lack of maintenance). Waited for a few hours and with some help from neighbours got the vehicle jump started. Left the engine on for some time for the battery to charge. There was no problems after that.

Now, I am away from home and the car has been lying almost idle for a month now, only weekly starts by my good neighbour. It seems the battery has died again and the car wont start.

I guess all this happened because of my careless maintenance of the battery. Can anyone give tips on how to properly maintain the battery in a car. Also suggest replacements for the stock palio battery.

Sorry if there has already been a post on this topic.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 11:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

New batteries are like maintainance free. So it would be best to get those, and once in a while checkup would be helpful too
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 11:19   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
New batteries are like maintainance free. So it would be best to get those, and once in a while checkup would be helpful too
Karthik are the maintenance free ones without the opening on the top. The one i had did have openings for fill ups. Wonder why palio came with this one. They shud have put in a maintenance free one.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 11:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

My Palio D (August 2004) came with a Exide Freedom battery. The battery once died when the car was still in warranty. Got it freely replaced.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Maintaince Free Battery, Does not mean it should be sealed or so..I have seen maintaince free battery with openings on the top for having an ocassionla top up of electrolyte or battery water + No battery can be completely sealed as the battery releases Fumes, for which it needs to have gas vents on the top..!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 22:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes, even maintaince batteries have openings on top for occasional refills
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 09:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

Funny. Sam I am running 2 amps in each of my cars) and have no issues with dimming.

maybe my moderate power needs keeps the issue contained. and trust me I am as fussy as Rudra.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 10:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
and trust me I am as fussy as Rudra.
OK Sir...what should I do to sort this out? You tell me what to do and I'll follow your instruction..blindly.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2006, 10:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats what I was thinking too. I have two amps and my setup is fine. There should be some problem with Rudras. (can someone check teh ICE of a stock Optra; by playing it at full volume. )

Navin, dont ask Rudra to redo the whole wiring!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 01:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

If one has spent 5k on a battery U must go for optima it is avalable in india through amron itself and it cost nearly 10k.I does not need a refill it is sealed
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 10:01   #29
BHPian

The best cure for this, is when you are off for a month or so, is to disconnect your battery. That way it wont drain.
Weekly starts are all fine, but asfter you start (or rather your neighbour)
how long do you run it and at what revs.
Just a start, very short idle run and stop will only drain the battery without recharing it. Its worse than not starting at all.Remeber its startingt that sucks the most juice out.

So the other option is start and run ofr 5 mins or so, and revv the engine a bit when you do.
My Fiat had an ammeter, so you could see exactly at what revs the carging was happening.
Else your best bet is to Discoonect your battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham
The battery on my Palio D went dead once. My wife was driving and was trying to manipulate a steep climb from stall. The ac and the music system was on. The engine stopped a few times as she wasnt an expert. This happened for a few times. And then the car wudnt start at all.
The battery had gone dead. I poured in some distilled water in the battery cells, most of them were dry (lack of maintenance). Waited for a few hours and with some help from neighbours got the vehicle jump started. Left the engine on for some time for the battery to charge. There was no problems after that.

Now, I am away from home and the car has been lying almost idle for a month now, only weekly starts by my good neighbour. It seems the battery has died again and the car wont start.

I guess all this happened because of my careless maintenance of the battery. Can anyone give tips on how to properly maintain the battery in a car. Also suggest replacements for the stock palio battery.

Sorry if there has already been a post on this topic.
Revvhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 12:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I got a new central locking installed in my car, it came with a ignition cut off if the car is not opened properly then it will not let the car start. My damn mechanic did not know this and kept on trying all different things he knew and killed my stock battery which was 8 year old (i was lucky i guess). i got a new amron maintanance free for 2000 bucks has a 1 year warranty i guess . But now every thing is fine. (atleast at the battery end)
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote