Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th February 2017, 15:12   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: WD-40 / Zorrik : Uses, Restrictions, Limitations & Pitfalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
...a small squeaking noise from the driver side third row jump seat.
Can the WD-40 help in such cases? I am not really sure what is causing these squeaks. The passenger side seat seems perfectly fine.
Try something like this: http://www.amazon.in/3M-Wet-Sprayabl...s=grease+spray
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017, 22:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks doc, will get it checked at my FNG then.

On the other car, there is a small squeaking noise from the driver side third row jump seat. As usual, Mahindra ASC messes it up more than rectifying everytime.

From what I have seen, it squeaks on bad roads, and also when I yank it a little by hand. Can the WD-40 help in such cases? I am not really sure what is causing these squeaks. The passenger side seat seems perfectly fine.
WD40 should work on the squeak, as should any other oil.... from sewing machine (thin) to engine oil (thick). Even a light coating of grease may help, if fingers can reach the right spot. IMHO the only advantage that WD40 and its kin have is that they come in pressurised cans, and so can be spread from a distance in hard to reach areas.
But I would disagree that WD40 is hygroscopic, as I have heard of it being used on wet/drowned distributors to restart engines. I myself used to spray it inside the distributor during heavy rains to take care of any condensations that may form.
As for the Alto handle, I would agree that something is half-worn or about to give up. In the good old days, with Ambassador-type of mechanisms, it was a simple case of opening the doorpad and adjusting, or touching a bit of weld to a worn out tooth etc.
SnakemanJohny is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 09:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Will give it a shot. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
WD40 should work on the squeak, as should any other oil.... from sewing machine (thin) to engine oil (thick). Even a light coating of grease may help, if fingers can reach the right spot. IMHO the only advantage that WD40 and its kin have is that they come in pressurised cans, and so can be spread from a distance in hard to reach areas.
I did try the sewing machine oil earlier. But that did not solve it for long and the squeak resurfaced. Maybe it could not reach the exact point as the nozzle wasn't long enough. That's why thought of using WD40 spray this time.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 11:25   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did try the sewing machine oil earlier. But that did not solve it for long and the squeak resurfaced. Maybe it could not reach the exact point as the nozzle wasn't long enough. That's why thought of using WD40 spray this time.
Just remember these are essentially 'release agents' not optimized for lubrication. In far if you get some Zorrik on your skin you can feel the corrosive effects. Maybe it has some acidic content.

So as long as we are conscious of what these things are, and take suitable care we should be fine. I myself used WD40 to lubricate locks, now I avoid it esp for locks exposed to the elements (like my main gate).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 13:38   #50
BHPian

Yeah its good for penetrating the remotest corners of moving parts and removing dirt and moisture from there...but it does dry out the part after getting evaporated. Hence, machine oil or kero (if you can stand the smell) should be sprayed post WD-40 or Zorik
One more thing, it's not recommended for cleaning transmission chains as some say it reacts with the "X"/ "O" rings and avoid prolonged contact with rubber parts/ bushes...!
I have 2 cans lying in my garage at any given point.
Crankpin is offline   Reply With Quote