Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2006, 22:58   #46
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
ny brother here has a new Baleno. lets sue them, the carmakers have already taken us for a long ride thruout our history.
Naveen, thats why i asked if this 'illegal' or 'unethical'.

Today the 'consumer courts' are pretty strong, they love to strike down big giants, very recently they have slammed coke n pepsi, maruti would be another case for them.
venkatrx is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 14:22   #47
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Naveen, thats why i asked if this 'illegal' or 'unethical'.

Today the 'consumer courts' are pretty strong, they love to strike down big giants, very recently they have slammed coke n pepsi, maruti would be another case for them.
Guys,

what is the process to approach the consumer court? any pointers are welcome.
venkatrx is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 14:47   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Talk to varunroy. He is fighting one case against Tata Motors.
RX135 is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 15:21   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Guys, what is the process to approach the consumer court? any pointers are welcome.
I agree that this is wrong representation of facts on the part of MUL. But are you sure you have the time, effort and money to waste on this thing which is kind of trivial (a 3bhp difference) when compared to the effort it would take.
BTW, here is another blooper on the part of MUL, which Baleno Vxi owners could use to take MUL to court. In their brochures, they mention that Vxi has body coloured door handles, but the cars I saw had them all in black. I asked the sales guy and he was like, "blah, blah". And since I was buying Lxi, I left it at that.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 15:46   #50
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I agree that this is wrong representation of facts on the part of MUL. But are you sure you have the time, effort and money to waste on this thing which is kind of trivial (a 3bhp difference) when compared to the effort it would take.
BTW, here is another blooper on the part of MUL, which Baleno Vxi owners could use to take MUL to court. In their brochures, they mention that Vxi has body coloured door handles, but the cars I saw had them all in black. I asked the sales guy and he was like, "blah, blah". And since I was buying Lxi, I left it at that.
supremebaleno, i am not sure if i have the time, but the important thing here is maruti is providing wrong information. A lot of companies have been penalized for wrong advertisements. So maruti would be no different.

it is not one off ad to say that it was a mistake, they have been using 94 bhp in more than one ads.

Sales man claim "baleno spares are cheap" but if you go thru' the "spares cost" thread it is totally the opposite.

As some one had pointed out we might not able to take maruti to court regarding FE, but wrong '94 bhp power advertisement' can definitely be taken to court, no doubt about it.

you are right, the brouchure has some different alloys, body colored mirrors handles etc.

Hyundai / Tata motors are notorious for misleading the public, now i think maruti is doing this just for baleno.
venkatrx is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 16:47   #51
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
but wrong '94 bhp power advertisement' can definitely be taken to court, no doubt about it.
Ofcourse they can be sued. No doubt about it. My question was, do we have the time to take the case to its logical end ? I might sue them if my car has the kind of problems that Mr.Varun Roy had. But would I sue them for an advt blunder ? No. Gotta earn my bread, you see, instead of running up and down the steps of courts every other day. That was the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Sales man claim "baleno spares are cheap" but if you go thru' the "spares cost" thread it is totally the opposite.
I am not commenting on that thread as I do not think it is the last word on spares cost. And whether you can sue MUL based on what a sales guy said, this is a question for legal experts.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 16:58   #52
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

guys some1 has 2 standup for this. had i bought a new baleno i wud have certainly done that. consumer courts are very fast and u dont end up wasting too much time. also u dont have 2 have a counsel, u cud argue the case urself. since this is a very blatant case of misguiding people, i m sure it wont take much time to settle this.
naveendhyani is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 16:59   #53
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Ofcourse they can be sued. No doubt about it. My question was, do we have the time to take the case to its logical end ? I might sue them if my car has the kind of problems that Mr.Varun Roy had. But would I sue them for an advt blunder ? No. Gotta earn my bread, you see, instead of running up and down the steps of courts every other day. That was the point.


I am not commenting on that thread as I do not think it is the last word on spares cost. And whether you can sue MUL based on what a sales guy said, this is a question for legal experts.
I have already mentioned that "...i am not sure if i have the time...", the point i am making out is as some one had said if maruti salesmen can claim "low spares cost" and "city FE of 12/13 kmpl" and get away with it. Then there must be a few things they can't get away with, i think the "94 bhp" is something we can sue maruti. If not me, someone will definitely have the time to sue them.

BTW if a company's saleman claims an FE of 12/13 kmpl and when you buy a car it gives you 8/9 kmpl, how would you feel about that company?

Say tomorrow, if maruti cannot fix my baleno to give an FE of 12/13 kmpl, i will also start a chain e-mail to educate people about the 'false FE claims', i will also put 'banner of low FE' on my car like some one did for TATA sumo
venkatrx is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 17:01   #54
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
guys some1 has 2 standup for this. had i bought a new baleno i wud have certainly done that. consumer courts are very fast and u dont end up wasting too much time. also u dont have 2 have a counsel, u cud argue the case urself. since this is a very blatant case of misguiding people, i m sure it wont take much time to settle this.
Naveen, this is some good news and a morale booster !!

whats your take on sueing maruti for low FE in my baleno? no chance of winning that ?
venkatrx is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 17:05   #55
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

as long as FE is concerned we cant corner them, since they dont have nything in written. perhaps this is the only reason why nobody mentions the mileage in their brochures. they may advertise it but then one of their 50 vehicles might achieve it.

on top of that the FE is very different in different driving conditions and cities. in gurgaon i get 10.7 to 11 regularly on my 2002 baleno. some people have claimed even higher.

so FE is not a point where we can win. but hell yes, on BHP part they have 2 suffer. with u all the way.
naveendhyani is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 17:09   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
so FE is not a point where we can win. but hell yes, on BHP part they have 2 suffer. with u all the way.
Get at least 10 cars dyno'd, 5 from the BS2 and 5 from BS3 and there you have your case if there are differences from the claimed numbers.

Do remember about 2% can be called a tolerable variance.
Psycho is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 17:12   #57
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

with 2% tolerance variable the power should b 92.12 from the claimed 94 bhp. but 91 will b more than 3%, does it make the case strong. also the cars that should b dyno'd should b picked up at random and not from the factory.
naveendhyani is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 17:21   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Their website says 91bhp. Let me check the brochure they gave me when I bought the car last year.
Regarding FE, as navin said, nothing can be done to sue them as they (like all car manufacturers) do not mention FE in writing anywhere.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 17:29   #59
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

I was going thru the Baleno website. It refers to "honeycomb grille". That was what the initial Balenos used to have (not the current ones). Adding this goof-up to the bhp error and body-colored door handle errors, looks like they really need a new spec writer.

But, the effort is definitely laudable - the webiste is pretty cool and informative. Also, they are not shying from displaying the back end of the car, like they used to do earlier. They seem to be seriously promoting the car, though a lot later than they should have.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th May 2006 at 17:31.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 16th May 2006, 18:09   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Haven't gone through the website in detail -

But, during my purchase process late last year I came across these things ..

The new MUL Baleno brochure (single page) released with the new VXi features, does mention 91BHP and 130.5 torque .. I had mailed MUL (from their site) enquiring about the reason for the change .. got no reply.

I had mentioned lack of body coloured mirrors to the dealer .. they seemed surprised themselves .. anyway, don't think much can be done about that since snaps always have a disclaimer that everything u see there may not be standard fitment. The car on the new brochure has fog lamps fitted and the tyres are Bridgestones (the alloys match with what is given).

This is the disclaimer on the brochure.

"Maruti Udyog Limited reserves the right to change without notice - prices, colours, equipment specifications and models and also to discontinue models. Accessories shown in the picture may not be a part of the standard equipment. For variant specific features refer to equipment list."

Now, if you see the feature list, body coloured mirrors are not mentioned.

Are the 94 BHP ads released by MUL or by a dealer or consortium of dealers ?

Last edited by shuvc : 16th May 2006 at 18:19.
shuvc is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
difference between hydraulic and electronic power steering archat68 Modifications & Accessories 1 11th August 2007 19:46
difference between speed,power,xtramile,supershell and reliance petrols please? rider60 Technical Stuff 4 28th April 2007 18:27
Indica V2 Turbo : Power difference in DLS and DLG BunnyPunia Technical Stuff 7 20th April 2007 18:49
Power difference with Pete's box for Sumo/qualis apachelongbow Technical Stuff 7 12th May 2006 20:28
Difference between Power Screwdriver and Drill? sbasak Gadgets, Computers & Software 6 16th December 2005 22:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks