Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2006, 10:46   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Baleno power difference

Hi Friends,

I need a technical input regarding Baleno's power difference.

I heard the EURO-III version is 91bhp@6000 RPM , but the earlier version like the 2003 one is 94 bhp.
Is this true?
If it is what are reasons for reducing the power of the car, by EURO norms?

TIA

Regards,
bruce is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 10:52   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
cooldude1988765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,005
Thanked: 106 Times
Default

Yes it is true and it is because of the euro3 emission norms.
cooldude1988765 is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 11:28   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 0 Times
Default What is it about the EURO3 norms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
Yes it is true and it is because of the euro3 emission norms.
IS there a technical reason why the drop in BHP is?
bruce is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 11:43   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,896
Thanked: 2,477 Times
Default

All the Euro -3 cars from MUL have 32 bit ECU while the E2 ones had 16 bit ECU. So this could be the reason, although it makes me wonder that why would an ECU upgrade decrease power, may be some other changes.

Also Euro 3 are not just emission norms itsa complet norm for vehicles whihc include emission levels as well.
For example of inclusion of headlamp leveling device in all E3 cars. Also in E2 the inclusion of separate high mount stop lamp are as per the norms guidelines.
Technocrat is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 15:49   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
All the Euro -3 cars from MUL have 32 bit ECU while the E2 ones had 16 bit ECU. So this could be the reason, although it makes me wonder that why would an ECU upgrade decrease power, may be some other changes.

Also Euro 3 are not just emission norms itsa complet norm for vehicles whihc include emission levels as well.
For example of inclusion of headlamp leveling device in all E3 cars. Also in E2 the inclusion of separate high mount stop lamp are as per the norms guidelines.
Euro 3 are indeed emissions norms and nothing more. Their Indian version, (based on Indian driving cycle) is known as Bharat Stage III. Euro-III was introduced in Europe in 2000. (Euro-II in 1996 and Euro-I in 1992). India went Bharat-III (only in NCR and select cities) from 1 April 2005. Europe went Euro-IV from 1st January, 2005.

Norms like headlamp levelling device and centre stop lamp at the rear have nothing to do with emission norms. They are laid down in the rules framed under the Motor Vehicles Act. These rules keep changing from time to time. Many more changes are in the offing.
directinjection is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 16:00   #6
SUV
BHPian
 
SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BLR
Posts: 256
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection

Norms like headlamp levelling device and centre stop lamp at the rear have nothing to do with emission norms. They are laid down in the rules framed under the Motor Vehicles Act. These rules keep changing from time to time. Many more changes are in the offing.
Er ... I thought all the above combined with Emission Norms are "Bharat Stage III" .....
SUV is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 16:09   #7
BHPian
 
venkatrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce
Hi Friends,

I need a technical input regarding Baleno's power difference.

I heard the EURO-III version is 91bhp@6000 RPM , but the earlier version like the 2003 one is 94 bhp.
Is this true?
If it is what are reasons for reducing the power of the car, by EURO norms?

TIA

Regards,
Maruti salesman told that 94 bhp is @ 6000 rpm and 91 bhp is @ 5500 rpm...so nothing has changed itseems.

www.marutibaleno.com mentions 91 bhp @ 5500 rpm

[so i am not sure where you got "91bhp@6000 RPM" from?]

just have a look at this page, at the top para he talks about 94 and then in the spec he talks about 91 [observe the rpm at which the power is measured]
http://www.iloveindia.com/cars/marut...ti-baleno.html

Last edited by venkatrx : 27th April 2006 at 16:13.
venkatrx is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 16:23   #8
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

It is indeed true that the BHP figures of the Euro-III baleno have dropped down to 91 ps from 94 ps .. However the peak power is now produced at 500 rpms lesser at 5500 .. Same is the case with the torque as well i guess .. Peak torque is developed at 500 rpms lesser ..

However against the company claims of 91ps , the E-III balenos feel more like they are putting out nothing more than 80 horses at the wheel .. V1p3r's and monish's baleno the two E-II that i have driven move way faster .. And im sure just 3 bhp drop in power cant make that much of a difference ..

E-III cars have much better ECU's .. Its difficult to fool around with them .. We tried removing the revv limiter on a E-III ECU and the revv limiter started kicking in at 20 , 40 , 60 km/hr ... However given the right set of tools these E-III ECU's have a lot of potential ..

Also something that we found out was the E-III's have a EGR valve which is absent on the E-II's .. Also , the cat con has been moved closer to the manifold and thus acts as a major restriction to the flow of exhaust gases .. These are the resons for the power drop in the Euro-III balenos .. Also there are two more mufflers to muffle the sound by a long margin ..

To overcome this , pyscho has disconnected the EGR valve and also removed the cat con and installed a free flow on my baleno .. The end muffler growls like crazy at anything over 1600 rpms , thus my shifts have now got down to 1500 rpms and with all the engine mods im still getting a mileage of around 15 ... This along with a brilliant headwork has just transformed my car into the next level of performance nirvana ..
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 17:04   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 283 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
However against the company claims of 91ps , the E-III balenos feel more like they are putting out nothing more than 80 horses at the wheel .. V1p3r's and monish's baleno the two E-II that i have driven move way faster .. And im sure just 3 bhp drop in power cant make that much of a difference ..
Wonder why popular feedback is that it is still feels quicker than the current crop of 100bhp cars .. are the other manufacturers overquoting their numbers ?
shuvc is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 17:21   #10
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Wonder why popular feedback is that it is still feels quicker than the current crop of 100bhp cars .. are the other manufacturers overquoting their numbers ?
Could very well be true .. However , in the baleno E-III's its just that its been detuned to make it more FE .. The original bhp figures of 94 bhp can be easily achived by cracking the two problems mentioned in my previous post ..
mclaren1885 is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 17:50   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

i wonder what a difference 3 bhp would make in the real world...
anyways a drop like that could easily be covered up by a k and n or a free flow...
frankmehta is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 17:53   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,088
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

McLaren,

it is not 91 PS but 91 BHP (slightly more powerful). If the torque is produced at lower RPM, it should in fact perform better and not as 80hp car.

Are you saying that, due to E-III norms, the car is no more as powerful as it used to be? Samurai has E-III car, so he can comment as well.

Performance has been the USP of Baleno (along with brand name) and if Maruti strips it off, it will hamper sales. I would hate if this is true.
RX135 is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 17:53   #13
BHPian
 
balenopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 909
Thanked: 211 Times
Default

AAAH...feels good i have 2000--2001 model...
balenopower is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 18:04   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: World
Posts: 115
Thanked: Once
Default Have you noticed this from Maruti .... ?

When Bharat III Baleno was introduced, Maruti FAQ had this very enlightening
information (in fact it is still there in the Maruti Baleno site):

" Q: Will compliance to Bharat Stage III have any effect on the performance or
maintenance cost of the car ?

A: No "

In light of what we know now, does it not amount to spreading misinformation on
Maruti's part to sell cars ?
meerkat is offline  
Old 27th April 2006, 18:29   #15
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
McLaren, it is not 91 PS but 91 BHP (slightly more powerful). If the torque is produced at lower RPM, it should in fact perform better and not as 80hp car.Are you saying that, due to E-III norms, the car is no more as powerful as it used to be? Samurai has E-III car, so he can comment as well..Performance has been the USP of Baleno (along with brand name) and if Maruti strips it off, it will hamper sales. I would hate if this is true.
Thanks for correcting me RX , it is indeed bhp and not PS (too much confu with each manufacturer using a different term) .. Yes , the torque is produced at a lower rpm which certainly translates to better city driving but the car because of the restriction due to the cat con being moved closer doesnt revv quick enough .. That is the reason why it feels slow , specially once u drive a BS-II ..

Yes , i meant the BS -III cars arent as powerful as the BS- II's .. Performance has been the USP of the baleno , even the BS-III version is still capable of taking on the best in the segment in terms of performance and still keep ahead .. This drop in power is what psycho , monish and me noticed off lately and got down to eliminate this on my car .. Thought of reporting it here as well .. However the power might actually not be exactly down to 80 bhp like i quoted but certainly feels like .. But the car is certainly a tad slower than the BS-II's ..

Quote:
does it not amount to spreading misinformation on
Maruti's part to sell cars ?
Well , im not quite sure if maruti knows about this themselves .. We were testing a few cars for the drags redlining in each gear .. Thats when we figured out this difference .. Im sure with the change MUL would have expected a slight decrease but not to this extent , but i guess it wouldnt be easy for a common man to figure out unless one is into pure drag racing ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 27th April 2006 at 18:42.
mclaren1885 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
difference between hydraulic and electronic power steering archat68 Modifications & Accessories 1 11th August 2007 19:46
difference between speed,power,xtramile,supershell and reliance petrols please? rider60 Technical Stuff 4 28th April 2007 18:27
Indica V2 Turbo : Power difference in DLS and DLG BunnyPunia Technical Stuff 7 20th April 2007 18:49
Power difference with Pete's box for Sumo/qualis apachelongbow Technical Stuff 7 12th May 2006 20:28
Difference between Power Screwdriver and Drill? sbasak Gadgets, Computers & Software 6 16th December 2005 22:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks