Team-BHP - Need Xylene - DuPont Scratch Remover won't come off
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Need Xylene - DuPont Scratch Remover won't come off (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/127150-need-xylene-dupont-scratch-remover-wont-come-off.html)

I purchased a "Du Pont Pro-Fusion Color Scratch Repair Stick" on ebay. It was promptly shipped from the US. I used it today for the first time on my Oceanic Blue Punto and to my horror, it has left a very visible clear coat on the car that won't come off.

I looked up the manufacturer's website and it mentions a product called "Xylene" that can be used to remove the coat and is readily available in the US at hardware stores.

Where can I buy Xylene in India and has anybody used this Du Pont product? stupid:
http://www2.dupont.com/ProFusionColo...usionColor.pdf

Do you mean that excessive clearcoat was applied and is not level with the surrounding clear?

If thats the case, you'll have to sand the excessive clearcoat of that bump off till you come level wit the surrounding factory clear and then compound and polish it to blend perfectly or at least to the extent that only you can see it! ;)

Choose minimum 1200 to 2000 grit sandpapers and never below that! Cut a small piece of that paper to use on the spot! Mask the surrounding factory paint to protect it from sanding scratches!

If it is a layer above the paint, then theoretically all you need to do is get this layer off. This can be done efficiently with a rubbing compound. I suggest you use Formula 1 Scratch Out, which is a liquid rubbing compound. Available in most auto accessory shops. Should not be too difficult to find. In my opinion, this should work well. I have been using this product for some time now.

Here is another post where I mentioned about it: LINK

In case you need directions on how to use it, I shall be happy to assist. Cheers.

PS. Mods, I hope it is okay to put the link of the other post here. In case it isn't, please remove it. Thanks.

EDIT:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sohail99 (Post 2919367)
Do you mean that excessive clearcoat was applied and is not level with the surrounding clear?

If thats the case, you'll have to sand the excessive clearcoat of that bump off till you come level wit the surrounding factory clear and then compound and polish it to blend perfectly or at least to the extent that only you can see it! ;)

Choose minimum 1200 to 2000 grit sandpapers and never below that! Cut a small piece of that paper to use on the spot! Mask the surrounding factory paint to protect it from sanding scratches!

I am not too keen on this use of sandpaper idea. I tried it once, it was 2000 grit. It has still left a really ugly mark on the paint even with the most minimum pressure applied while using it. :Frustrati

Yes, after applying it on the scratch; I was supposed to remove the excess which I failed to do.

Anyway, I want to use Xylene as the manufacturer's website clearly says that it should be used to remove any excess coat. What on earth is Xylene and where can I buy it in India?

P.S. - I do have Formula One Rubbing Compound and will consider using it if Xylene is something that doesn't exist in India.

Xylene is primarily used as a solvent (benzene family). Unless I am wrong, the solvent used in correction-ink/white-out (whitener and solvent bottle type, not the pen) is also xylene. Additionally, I figure acetone might also do the trick- it dissolves most paints and acrylic too.

Caution- acetone is flammable and evaporates very quickly.

Xylene will also strip off the original paint. Use with extreme caution. You can get xylene in 1-litre bottles, from shops/suppliers of medical/pathology laboratory materials. Or ask a pathology lab technician, who can get you a little bit.

Lab Grade Xylene from Merck Costs Rs. 300 and it easily available.

Save money and effort: Put the Dupont product on unimportant painted surface of the car - Area under hood / trunk. Now try wiping it off with your sister's / Wife's Nail Polish Remover. If it works, try on the problem area.

Multiple lessons learnt:

1. Never use "Scratch Repair Sticks" outside the scratch. These should be carefully used to fill in the scratch and any extra should be immediately wiped off
2. The extra clear coat left on the car can be used by using a nail polish remover - ONLY IF your car has a 3M or a similar paint protection. I used the same nail polish remover under the hood and the paint came off easily.
3. The stains left by the nail polish remover can be easily removed with a gentle rubbing compound like Formula 1.

Thanks for all the help. I will re-use the scratch repair stick in the manner intended and post review. I successfully used it on my silver colored Royal enfield and it covered the scratches pretty well.