Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th November 2012, 08:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Fuel pump / fuel system issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Some times, I ponder if the old generation diesels (non-CRDI) were really better in terms of reliability. And even if they weren't, they were surely much easier to repair, both in terms of costs as well as complexity.
Last week i took out the ford 1.8D's fuel pump out because of the bearing noise. The whole pump service, including the injectors costs Rs 4.8k.

When things are purely mechanical, there's greater peace in mind.

Last edited by ramzsys : 10th November 2012 at 08:23.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 12:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Alls well that ends well and thats a pretty enlightening experience for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
OTOH, I'm not sure captain Jack Sparrow is going to be too pleased about being ripped off by the Toyota Stealers.
Couldn't help Nitrous, was in need of the car and had to settle with the dealer.
Though we knew that Lanson charges exhorbitantly for repairs like these, we had to take it to the dealer (The service costs are not very high and presume Toyota directs them).

Also, we have the habit of sending the cars only to the dealerships and not taking out /scouting for service stations that can repair it separately. The total cost worked out to 43 K including labour. 11K extra than what CDM had paid....
Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 14:08   #18
BHPian

Did you by any chance get the DENSO fuel pump part number? I find it hard to believe that fuel pump new in 35K; i am sure there are cheaper sources out there
DeepakMenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Default Sx4 ZDi fuel pump issue

Hey all,

My 5 month old Sx4 Zdi has been having the typical MJD hissing noise from its fuel pump, and whats more this is the second time this problem has come up on my 5 month - 7K KMs old vehicle.

I got this strange continuous hissing sort of a sound from the rear of the vehicle at about the 2 month mark when the vehicle had barely covered about 1.5-2K kms, promptly took it to the service center and the service guys told me that this is definitely the sound of the fuel pump. Advise was to change the fuel pump, which was done within warranty with no questions asked.

I drove around happily but during the last week or so, the same old sound has come up again some 500 Kms ago.

A few searches on the forum and on google pointed that this a normal thing with all 1.3 MJD's but most of the forums talked only about the initial hissing sound which lasts for only about a second or so. My Sx4 though has been making a running hissing sound which comes on with about a smallish drive of say 4-5 Kms . Of-course the initial one second sound is also present. The sound typically lessens in extent on filling up, and as the tank gets towards the half-way mark the sound goes on increasing steadily.

I plan to take the car to the service centre again for this problem over this or maybe the next weekend, for which i am sure the service centre guys would replace the fuel pump. But, before i do that wanted to take opinion of all the experts here, is this sound normal, should i continue churning along without bothering about the problem ?? Or should i go ahead and get the fuel pump replaced ?? If so, what should i do if the problem comes up again in say another 4-5 K kms ???

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Mods: Tried searching the forum for this particular problem, but got no definitive answers. Please merge if there already exists some dedicated thread to this.
Prodigyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 11:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sx4 ZDi fuel pump issue

The first suspect that comes to mind is bad fuel as the sound has started with the new fuel pump also. Do you always fill up from the same bunk? Try using some other petrol bunks.

Another suggestion would be to get the pump replaced again and while they are it ask them to check the voltage the fuel pump is getting. It may not be getting enough power and hence be causing this hissing noise. Ask them to do a thorough check up of all fuel pump related electrical wiring and allied components. For all you know it may be a simple loose contact in the pump wiring.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2013, 02:23   #21
BHPian

Default Re: Fuel pump / fuel system issue?

Our Toyota Corolla Altis also has faced a similar problem now at 50k. The car would refuse to start. We happened to call our regular Toyota SA who then sent over a technician from the Shinrai Toyota workshop. He just did a very primary and basic diagnosis of which I am not entirely convinced of and pointed out the fuel pump has gone wonky. Now my SA immediately points out the fact that getting it replaced at the workshop will be a costly affair (16k), he seemed to be pretty confident of the fact that he could procure the part from Toyota itself and would open the box in front of me before installation, which will not be in the Shinrai Toyota Service Centre but elsewhere and he'd charge me 9k for it.

Now, another thing to add here is that, this is my sisters personal car and literally no one is permitted to use it apart from her. This means, even the maintenance aspect cannot be taken care of by me. Left to her own devices, she's skipped I don't know how many routine services. She's a non-car person and all she knows of is Toyota's are bulletproof reliable and her missing services really doesn't matter.

The moment I heard that it could be the fuel pump, my immediate thought went to the fact that my sisters hellbent on using Speed/Power fuel only, and has kept the car on that diet since the very first day, it's never had a regular petrol fill up. This happened despite me being an aware motorist and petrol head. This rubbish branding/marketing technique of it being 'premium' can really be misleading. Thats what my sister has fallen prey to. Is this fuel type to be blamed for this apparent damage to the fuel pump?

I'm thinking of getting the car towed to the service centre and have a proper diagnosis of what exactly is wrong and then decide what further action needs to be taken.

BHP-Ian's, technical gurus, please throw some light on this for me.

Last edited by n:CorE : 7th August 2013 at 02:29.
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 10:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Total cost including labour for dismantling and putting back was ~Rs. 32,000.

The car has been running fine since then. The pickup and vibration level has improved. Just took the car to Shimla and she started on the first crank after being parked for 3 days.
CDM, I hope you don't mind making this hibernating thread alive again. Got the reference of this thread from a similar thread recently started by TBHP member, speedmunster in this forum (thanks to TBHP member, Jack Sparrow for pointing me to this thread). Posting that thread link here for everyone's benefit ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ealership.html (Innova Fuel Pump: Replaced at Denso service center for 50% of the price of Toyota dealership)

Also many thanks to CDM for starting this thread. Since it is almost 2.5 years now that you fitted this refurbished FIP (Fuel Injection Pump) CDM, would like to know from you, has the refurbished FIP served you well? Were there any other issues noted related to FIP all this while? How much has the car run after the FIP replacement?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 19:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
.......The moment I heard that it could be the fuel pump, my immediate thought went to the fact that my sisters hellbent on using Speed/Power fuel only, and has kept the car on that diet since the very first day, it's never had a regular petrol fill up. This happened despite me being an aware motorist and petrol head. This rubbish branding/marketing technique of it being 'premium' can really be misleading. Thats what my sister has fallen prey to. Is this fuel type to be blamed for this apparent damage to the fuel pump?

BHP-Ian's, technical gurus, please throw some light on this for me.
IIRC, Toyota always recommends the normal unleaded fuel and not premium ones. I have never filled any of my cars with premium ones, infact not even from Shell bunks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
CDM, I hope you don't mind making this hibernating thread alive again. Got the reference of this thread from a similar thread recently started by TBHP member, speedmunster in this forum (thanks to TBHP member, Jack Sparrow for pointing me to this thread). Posting that thread link here for everyone's benefit ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ealership.html (Innova Fuel Pump: Replaced at Denso service center for 50% of the price of Toyota dealership)

Also many thanks to CDM for starting this thread. Since it is almost 2.5 years now that you fitted this refurbished FIP (Fuel Injection Pump) CDM, would like to know from you, has the refurbished FIP served you well? Were there any other issues noted related to FIP all this while? How much has the car run after the FIP replacement?
Before CDM comment's, let me also tell you that my car has done more than 35K kms after the replacement, and no issues till now. Touchwood.
Jack Sparrow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 20:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Before CDM comment's, let me also tell you that my car has done more than 35K kms after the replacement, and no issues till now. Touchwood.
Thank you Jack Sparrow for chirping in this thread (pun intended). 35K and no issues means there is no problem with the pump design and the only thing to blame is the adulterated fuel or running the tank dry.

However these 3 incidences have definitely shaken my confidence in Toyota especially the Innova (don't know how many more such instances might be there). I always thought that Innova was very abuse friendly and almost invincible, but that does not seem to be the case.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote