Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 36.21%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 23 39.66%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 13 22.41%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th January 2007, 14:12   #226
BANNED

I think the last paragraph of autoenthusiast's link clarifies a few things:

Having said all that, there is one possible way in which acetone might help an engine, and this may be why some users apparently report good results. Under some circumstances (for example if poor quality fuel is used), deposits may build up on the small metering holes in the fuel injectors and restrict the flow. This will tend to cause poor performance and "driveability", and on more modern (post-1996 in the US) vehicles the Check Engine light will probably illuminate. Acetone may be able to remove these deposits and restore normal operation - though there are much less "risky" ways to achieve the same effect, such as using proprietry injector cleaner or even a few tankfuls of a premium [COLOR=#0000ff]fuel[/COLOR] every so often. But the vast majority of vehicles will not show this effect, and even on those that do, the effect on fuel consumption is likely to be small.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 11:22   #227
BHPian

[quote=Suryam;350357]I am not sure why companies/sceintific studies are not backing actone-theories(aprt from user's stories over web).

Slightly off-topic:

Neither I do not understand government apathy towards such desi-inventors ? Use of somendersingh's in all of our petrol engine would definitely increase all petrol cars FE by 10-15% -- imagine how much benfit to oil-imports and end-consumer and enviroment. One of American magazine wrote that if they use his invention, 25% gulf-imports can be reduced.

For Example:
* Somender Singh's Invention/Patent. Even ARAI proved the benefits and saving is approx. 10-25% FE with lower-band torque. Why no manufacturer uses the technolgy ? Which force is stopping them to use in new/old cars -- ego-factor/any-other-ulterior-motives ?

* Why can't Govt. enforce all indian-car manufactuers EITHER to put grooves in all petrol engines(old/new at workshop/factory) OR increase FE/torque by 15-25% with less than 10,000Rs(with their great so-called R&D teams).

* quote]

FYI Mr Singh has been approached by A major two wheeler & a big four wheeler automobile company. I cant comment but the details will be given to any one who speaks to him.
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 22:43   #228
BHPian

Just tried acetone in petrol on my 2001 Zen, MPFI.

There does seem to be slight improvement... Or, may be it's my perception. Added about 10ml (2 t.spoons) in 10 litres. The problem with measuring precise qty is that acetone, being highly volatile, quickly evaporates as you pour it in the bottle. So, dunno how much actually went in. Also, since I never fill up the tank full, am sure there's some wastage inside the tank, too.

The pref. change is only slight though. I was foolishly expecting that after this 'treatment' my ~40 bhp car would perform like a 100 bhp machine, and I would be driving at 20 kmph in 5th gear with ease. Guess, that's why I'm not impressed.

Perhaps, since my car is running great already, think, no ketone in the world can make it any better.
amu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 22:45   #229
BHPian

Oops... forgot that there was already some (about 5-7 litres) petrol in the tank already. Will add another 10 ml, and let you know...
Old 3rd February 2007, 13:07   #230
Senior - BHPian

Acetone, though volatile, doesn't evaporate as fast as your message implies. And for a 10 ltr of petrol you need to add 25 ml of acetone. These things start working after one or two treatments on a tankful.

The best way is to do a tankful with the required quantity of acetone and then head to a destination on a highway. Asking too much, eh?

Now for exact measurement, you need to buy a big syringe (plastic) that has upto 50 ml markings and add acetone through this. And the best way to do is to premix acetone with petrol in a can and then pour via funnel just before tanking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
Just tried acetone in petrol on my 2001 Zen, MPFI.

There does seem to be slight improvement... Or, may be it's my perception. Added about 10ml (2 t.spoons) in 10 litres. The problem with measuring precise qty is that acetone, being highly volatile, quickly evaporates as you pour it in the bottle. So, dunno how much actually went in. Also, since I never fill up the tank full, am sure there's some wastage inside the tank, too.

The pref. change is only slight though. I was foolishly expecting that after this 'treatment' my ~40 bhp car would perform like a 100 bhp machine, and I would be driving at 20 kmph in 5th gear with ease. Guess, that's why I'm not impressed.

Perhaps, since my car is running great already, think, no ketone in the world can make it any better.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 17:49   #231
BHPian

Just added about 15 ml more, in very little amount of petrol. Mixed in a bottle, first. Still nothing :-( The car runs just as before. Tried driving in 3rd gear at 10-15kmph, just to see how the low-end torque is. Nope!!! It stalled. Zero improvement.

Think, my car is great already... :-)
Old 1st March 2007, 14:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

Hi Finetuning,

I suggested your experiments to one of my friend and he is happy with it. He is currently only using Acetone 2ml/Ltr. Now he wants to move on with adding 2T and xylene.

He want to start with Acetone + 2T and if results are good he will move on to xylene. He is thinking of adding 2ml of both. Is it an ok amount or should he increase / decrease the amount of 2T and acetone ?

The car is he is trying on is M800 (Carb) and he wants to move on to doing the same to his New Alto. So will it be good to try on the new Car ? Any harms to engine etc of the new car ?

Thanks.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 14:48   #233
Senior - BHPian

Can someone in Bangalore tell me any shops in Airport Road/ Vijayanagar/Rajajinagar area where pure acetone is available. I asked around and chemists were unable tell if what they had was pure or not. The bottle does not list the purity at all.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 14:50   #234
BHPian

Hi Abhibh,

Glad to see someone getting benefited........2ml per ltr acetone is ok....now reg 2T you can add just 1 ml per ltr.....also if you can find xylne(pure grade available in davabazar at marine lines) then can add 2 ml per ltr.....so its like this...2ml acetone+2ml xylene + 1ml 2T per ltr of petrol.......2T will make engine running very smooth & also slightly improves power.....also do pass on FE changes with this combo...also this can be safely added into new cars.....once getting benefited he will never drive car withouut these....
infact this improves combustion so nothing to worry....adding xylene improves performance....

Enjoy...
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 15:44   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Can someone in Bangalore tell me any shops in Airport Road/ Vijayanagar/Rajajinagar area where pure acetone is available. I asked around and chemists were unable tell if what they had was pure or not. The bottle does not list the purity at all.

With regards to purity..... Well in 2ml of acetone i dont think it should make so much of a difference.. considering that in a Litre of Petrol we dont know what % of Naptha i added by the bunk guys....
Old 1st March 2007, 16:26   #236
rkg
Senior - BHPian

go to VASA scientific co, krishna building (upstairs) avenue road. you get different grades of acetone analytical grade with purity mentioned there in. or go to any lab chemical suppliers you will get it. one can get in 1/2 ltr, 1 ltr capacity also
it is at the begining of avenue road form KG road side where they sell second hand books on footpaths.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 16:37   #237
Senior - BHPian

thanks.

Kaizer, you seem to banging your head to glory
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 13:16   #238
BHPian

Quote:
srishiva, to test the purity of acetone, just take a drop on your palm, and blow some air, it should vanish completely and quickly. Most brands (if any) of acetones that you get in med shops, are very pure. My bottle reads 99.5% pure.BTW... I'd like to share here that, even though I wasn't impressed with the Acetone treatment on my car, when I tried it on my Dad's old bike, the results were superb. The pickup has sure improved.

Last edited by amu1983 : 2nd March 2007 at 13:22.
Old 2nd March 2007, 16:46   #239
BHPian

Default upgrade on Ikon 1.6 FE w/acetone

Hi all,

Just wanted to update u guys on my IMPROVED FE in my Ikon 1.6 after using acetone in the 2 - 2.5 ml per liter mixture.

I used to use System G in the recommended dose and usually got 9.5 - 10 kmpl before. After switching to acetone in the abovementioned ratio, my most recently calculated FE was 10.6 kmpl *

* Now, to most this may not seem like much of an increase, but here's the deal: Since I've added acetone and felt various benefits such as smoother running, less knocking with AC, more mileage, etc., I've changed my driving habits quite a bit:

1) Use the AC a lot more than before
2) Use engine braking rather than relying completely on the brakes (due to the Ikon's crappy brakes, but that's another story)
3) Tend to stomp on the accelerator more just to test the better pickup

All the above habits will obviously consume more fuel than my previous habits (circa System G). This should have significantly decreased my mileage, but with the acetone, I've gotten an average increase of around 1 kmpl!

I'm sure, if I went back to my old, conservative driving habits, I'm sure the increase would be more pronounced, along the lines of 11-12 kmpl....now, for a 2003 Ikon 1.6 thats done 40k kms, this is dam' miraculous!
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 18:50   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezj420 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to update u guys on my IMPROVED FE in my Ikon 1.6 after using acetone in the 2 - 2.5 ml per liter mixture.

I used to use System G in the recommended dose and usually got 9.5 - 10 kmpl before. After switching to acetone in the abovementioned ratio, my most recently calculated FE was 10.6 kmpl *

* Now, to most this may not seem like much of an increase, but here's the deal: Since I've added acetone and felt various benefits such as smoother running, less knocking with AC, more mileage, etc., I've changed my driving habits quite a bit:

1) Use the AC a lot more than before
2) Use engine braking rather than relying completely on the brakes (due to the Ikon's crappy brakes, but that's another story)
3) Tend to stomp on the accelerator more just to test the better pickup

All the above habits will obviously consume more fuel than my previous habits (circa System G). This should have significantly decreased my mileage, but with the acetone, I've gotten an average increase of around 1 kmpl!

I'm sure, if I went back to my old, conservative driving habits, I'm sure the increase would be more pronounced, along the lines of 11-12 kmpl....now, for a 2003 Ikon 1.6 thats done 40k kms, this is dam' miraculous!
Another Convert Welcome to the Acetone family