Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have TRIED it and have found that ...
It works wonders for my car/bike. I highly recommend it. 21 36.21%
Slight improvement, but I recommend it. 23 39.66%
No difference at all. Don't bother trying this non-sense stuff. 13 22.41%
It screwed my car!!! Stay away from acetone!!! 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd May 2006, 13:13   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Eggjactly same question from me too.... cant it be put directly into the petrol tank ???
Dear jay,

Indeed its to be added directly in petrol tank....but through funnel having pipe which goes deep inside tank so that mixture mixes well while adding....prepare mixture by adding small quantity of regular petrol in small bottle then add acetone according to liters of petrol at the rate of 2.5 ml per liter....directly pour through funnel & see the difference......

Enjoy........
finetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 14:08   #32
BHPian

how much does Acetone costs......two months before I tried to buy toluene and i was very much disappointed to hear that you will not get toluene unless you have a lab or something... hope it is not the same with acetone..
pratheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 20:08   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheesh
how much does Acetone costs......two months before I tried to buy toluene and i was very much disappointed to hear that you will not get toluene unless you have a lab or something... hope it is not the same with acetone..
20-22 bucks for a 100 ml bottle, in a full tank of 30 litres u need to fill only 75 ml. 2.5 ml per litre as per the data provided.
Acetone is available at any chemist/ medical shop.
Its basically the stuff that women use to take off their nail polish
Kaizer Sozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 21:59   #34
BHPian

wad about economy.. what are your claims besided conclusions from the link
cheatingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 06:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

anyone else with the experience of adding acetone? gyz....its a risky preposition and i just wanna be sure!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006, 20:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
anyone else with the experience of adding acetone? gyz....its a risky preposition and i just wanna be sure!
Deal All Bhpians,

I started using acetone in almost 50th vehicle including two wheelers.Most interesting thing is we feel very good response from engine....it becomes very smooth & power increament can be felt.Load of A/C can be checked instantly....after running with acetone fora few Km.....it becomes more smooth & powerful.I found it not at all harmful adding 2.5ml per liter of petrol.
I knindly advise to read the links........

Enjoy...............
Old 9th May 2006, 16:03   #37
BHPian

thanks finetuning have tried on my OHC it definately moves better then before and seems to take higher gears more than usual. As far as the article on the site it says that it has been tried for years (more than 25) by the author on his cars and with no defects. FE needs to be checked which will take some time. I also have read that the quantity to be added is 0.7 to 0.8 ml per litre of petrol which is what I added and the result is great. To quote it said " less is more ".

Thanks once again

Last edited by amit mohan : 9th May 2006 at 16:07.
amit mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 16:43   #38
BHPian

Thumbs up Thanks Finetuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Deal All Bhpians,

I started using acetone in almost 50th vehicle including two wheelers.Most interesting thing is we feel very good response from engine....it becomes very smooth & power increament can be felt.Load of A/C can be checked instantly....after running with acetone fora few Km.....it becomes more smooth & powerful.I found it not at all harmful adding 2.5ml per liter of petrol.
I knindly advise to read the links........

Enjoy...............
based on finetuning's advice, I too went and brought acetone from the medical shop (I heard they use acetone for removing the nail polish in beauty parlors coz its cheap compared to the nail polish remover :-)) anyways, as finetuning said to add 2.5 ml /litre of petrol I did so using the siringe to make sure its accurate and since then I have become fan of acetone, I fill my tank full and note down the litres filled and add the acetone (2.5ml/litre), my engine runs smooth and donno about the milage though, it should give more than normal. combustion is quick and have observed no jerks since then. and huh I got this acetone for 28 bucks for 100ml bottle.
thanks finetuning
RoaringEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2006, 17:03   #39
BHPian

Question Are you sure about this ratio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Dear all,
After a lot of reading & convincing myself...I started using Acetone in my car(95 Esteem)....

I purchased pure acetone 100 Ml bottle from local chemist... first requirement is that it must be 100% pure...nothing added.....then added 2.5 ml per liter.I had just refilled 10 liters of ordinary petrol.So with a funnel & pipe connecting to it......added the mixture of petrol & acetone(2.5 ml per liter...hence added 25 ml...+ 10 ml for reserve petrol..)....

Result is extremly good.
1)I found much smoother engine running immidiatly after adding acetone.

2)Idles seems to be very smooth.Can be felt at signals.

3)Good increase in power felt.Car feels very much responsive.Just add the pedal & feel the difference.

4)Exhaust seems to be very very less.Infact I bent down to check it many times but its almost nill or very very less.No exhaust smell as seen earlier.Yet to check exhuast reading.

With this response ...I started using in my scooty pep scooter.....same response...bike is now with more power ...pick up.....so much smoother with less exhaut..

In all above cases...mileage not yert checked.......

I advise members to try it.Remenber just add 2.5 ml per liter of petrol....& 1.5 ml per liter of diesel.....Use injection syringe for accurate measurement.In bike...u can add directly in tank....or mix it with petrol in a bottle then add.....dont allow it to touch painted parts.......

this are the links....to read.....

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Enjoy....
Hey finetuning, I did some research on the net based on your link and it says for the best FE we need to add .78ml/litre of petrol but you say 2.5ml/litre. where did you get this ratio to be added?
I think 2.5ml/litre is too high. lemme see what can I did. *thanks*
RoaringEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 20:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit mohan
thanks finetuning have tried on my OHC it definately moves better then before and seems to take higher gears more than usual. As far as the article on the site it says that it has been tried for years (more than 25) by the author on his cars and with no defects. FE needs to be checked which will take some time. I also have read that the quantity to be added is 0.7 to 0.8 ml per litre of petrol which is what I added and the result is great. To quote it said " less is more ".

Thanks once again
Dear Amit,
Good that u tried & found the difference....u r right any tiny amount is good but keep trying till u find a good balance between power & FE....max limit will be 2.5 ml........do read this link..http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm
which states........

How much acetone do I put into my fuel? For gasoline we use about three oz. per ten US gallons. Sometimes we use four oz. per ten gal. For diesel we use about two oz. per ten US gallons. That is equal to about 2.5 ml per liter for gasoline and about 1.5 ml per liter for diesel. Any tiny amount is better than none. No engine can deliver good MPG without some acetone.

Enjoy & spread benefits to all.................
Old 10th May 2006, 20:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringEngine
Hey finetuning, I did some research on the net based on your link and it says for the best FE we need to add .78ml/litre of petrol but you say 2.5ml/litre. where did you get this ratio to be added?
I think 2.5ml/litre is too high. lemme see what can I did. *thanks*
Dear RoaringEngine,

Thanks for ur interest.......do read the article once again carefully...which states that 0.781 ml per liter is equal to 1 Oz.per ten gallon......now normal requirement is 2 to 4 Oz per ten gallon.....so 3 Oz.per ten gallon which is most desirable translates into 0.781 x 3 = 2.5 ml........its accurate calculation.Dont get confused with Americal Weight standards....

1 Gallon = 3.7854 liter......
10 Gallon = 37.85=38 liter
1 Oz = 28 ml....

For conversion read this link...http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp

Now adding 1 Oz per 10 gallons means adding 28 ml per 38 liter means adding
0.7368 ml per liter........

Adding 3 Oz per 10 gallons means adding 28x3=84 ml per 38 liter means adding 84/38=.2.210 ml per liter......which is being rounded off to 2.5 ml per liter of petrol........

All readers are advised to study this if having any confusion.......

Amount of 2.5 ml per liter is very much desirable..........

Enjoy
Old 10th May 2006, 20:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit mohan

Thanks once again
Dear Amit,

No harm if u added only 0.78 ml per liter.....its 1 Oz per 10 gallon of petrol..we need to add at least 3 oz per 10 gallons hence 0.78 x 3 =2.34 ml rounded off to roughly 22.5 ml....do read the following.........

Thanks for ur interest.......do read the article once again carefully...which states that 0.781 ml per liter is equal to 1 Oz.per ten gallon......now normal requirement is 2 to 4 Oz per ten gallon.....so 3 Oz.per ten gallon which is most desirable translates into 0.781 x 3 = 2.5 ml........its accurate calculation.Dont get confused with Americal Weight standards....

1 Gallon = 3.7854 liter......
10 Gallon = 37.85=38 liter
1 Oz = 28 ml....

For conversion read this link...http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp

Now adding 1 Oz per 10 gallons means adding 28 ml per 38 liter means adding
0.7368 ml per liter........

Adding 3 Oz per 10 gallons means adding 28x3=84 ml per 38 liter means adding 84/38=.2.210 ml per liter......which is being rounded off to 2.5 ml per liter of petrol........

All readers are advised to study this if having any confusion.......

Amount of 2.5 ml per liter is very much desirable..........

Enjoy
Old 10th May 2006, 22:31   #43
BHPian

Exclamation

any milage figures as of now??? also are you adding acetone to regular fuel or has anyone tried it with power , speed , etc. !! also it would be nice to know which cars have you all tried this on??
speed0mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 06:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

bhai mere, what to follow.....

2.5 ml/l in petrol....and...1.5 ml/l in diesel....wd that be just fine?
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 17:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania
any milage figures as of now??? also are you adding acetone to regular fuel or has anyone tried it with power , speed , etc. !! also it would be nice to know which cars have you all tried this on??
I have tried in almost all types of vehicles......maruti 800,esteem,baleno,indigo,indica,scooty pep,honda activa to name a few.............

Also it can be added to any kind of petrol diesel....as ita a vapourising additive....it helps in total fuel burning............

I do not understand why there is so much hesitation to this simple yet very effective treatment to engine at no extra cost....to get exact mileage figure is time consuming considering our indian driving condition....but one thing is sure its on upside......I found in my esteem an increament of 1 km/lt from 11 to 12..........with very good power performance.......

ppl spend so much money on so many modificaton resulting in certain or no gains....I have seen ppl spending as high as 20k on many type of modofication....but this simple yet very effective method is going unnoticed???? Is it because its so cheap??? Is it because it directly improves power within few seconds at no extra cost as we are used to spending more money time getting result?????? I hope ppl will break this habit.....

Its just a little effort of doing this with right understanding......until we cant try how can we get the result???

A lot of information available regarding this............but still I find....ppl still suspicious....agreed that its relating to ENGINE......but then do read the stuff come to the right conclusion..........

Enjoy.............

Last edited by finetuning : 11th May 2006 at 17:31.