Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 10:08   #1
BHPian

Default Ugly minute scraches HELP!

Hi Guys.. i have a silver palio. From the last few days i've been noticing new minue scraches every day on the hood and the roof of the car... i found out that some dogs try to get on the roof of the car and scrach the hood and roof in that process.. Scraches not very deep but look ugly. used some rubbing compound but still some scraches are left..To top it all i find new scraches every day in morning...

i dont prefer a car cover cause there is regular usage in a day... Also, can teflon coating help.. what will be the cost and place for that in Delhi...

Any other advices are welcome.....
streetlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st May 2006, 11:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dogs getting on to the roof ?? Holy cow !

But have you tried to reason out why the dogs love your car roof more than your tyres ? Could be someone hurling out leftovers that fall on your car which the dogs try to reach. Am speaking from experience...about the food leftovers landing on my roof. You can try to change the place where you park...

As for the scratches , I use rubbing compound for minor scratches. Teflon might help .
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Teflon, Won't help brother..The paws of the doggy are sharp enough to scratch thru Teflon coating..Which basically does nothing to protect from scratches , only provides shine and acts as a water Rep..! Teflon will cost anything from 1000- 3000 rupees, I have seen some people getting it done on their cars at Excel Motors on their Lancers and Other GM cars...you may want to check out with your Fiat Dealer or you can come down to Mohan Co-Op just behind the Techbooks KPO and speak with Excel..!

Change the parking place, If you're parking under a tree..avoid doing so...!
Why is it that Doggy's love Fiat cars...I had a similar problem when i was put up in Kalkaji..each morning I would find a street dog on top of my Once Upon A Time Uno-D...! The only solution was to stop parking at my regular place under a tree...! The dog then took fancy to my then neighbour new Zen...lol..!
More lately, The only creature that loves my lancer is a neighbourhood Cat which in the winter months loves to cuddle in the bonnet for warmth...! Have to shoo her out each time before I start her..less have her all over my engine...! lol
And Our other fellow poster Humyum...Recently had a small mishap with his Maruti..by Having Rats bite through Wires...!
Guess its time to make vehicles Animal Proof though

Last edited by wolfinstein : 1st May 2006 at 11:53.
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 19:15   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the quick response guys

normallycrazy: My car is always clean and shiny at any time of the day so there is no chance of leftovers of food

wolfinstein: i tried changing the parking area but still there were scraches,there are no trees its an open area also i cant change the space daily cause of ltd. parking space..

i am really confused what to do...
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife
Thanks for the quick response guys

normallycrazy: My car is always clean and shiny at any time of the day so there is no chance of leftovers of food

wolfinstein: i tried changing the parking area but still there were scraches,there are no trees its an open area also i cant change the space daily cause of ltd. parking space..

i am really confused what to do...

Install A turbulance alarm, hopefully the canniens will have a fright of their life if the car suddenly shierks as soon as they try to get on it.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 18:33   #6
BHPian

sumitkalindi: Thanks for response. Can u tell me lil bit more about the alarm like how it works and the cost etc...

Last edited by streetlife : 2nd May 2006 at 18:37.
Old 2nd May 2006, 19:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife
sumitkalindi: Thanks for response. Can u tell me lil bit more about the alarm like how it works and the cost etc...
I don't know about this turbulence alarm that he talked about. However if it is the regular touch-sensitive alarm he is talking about then you just get it as a feature with high-end remote locking devices from Autocop, Cobra, Fortknox etc... The moment someone touches the car with some pressure the alarm goes off. Not to mention, can be a real pain in you know where in a country like India where it has the potential to trigger off at every few hour. And if that happens at night you can rest assured your neighbors will ensure that your car is not anywhere near the residence at night, Lol...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2006, 21:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well said Zappo even when i went to install my central locking the dealer was very much boosting about the touch sensor feature of the locking system but i thought this could be a real pain that is why i did not install it yet. And for the ugly scratches get it to a good painting guy and ask his advice because at times they can fix minute scratches by applying some paste and then wiping it off. I appologise if this is a wrong info but i got a small strach made by a bike guy fixed this way.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 02:03   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Streetlife ... I have a similar problem of a CAT climbing on to my car roof ... I have teflon coating on my car and i also have the "touch sensor". But this cat climbs up so carefully that the damn touch sensor which usually goes off on things like lightening and enfield bullet exhaust thump wouldnt buzz... everyday i get small tiny cute foot prints from my bonnet up to my roof ... haha i've started covering my car at nights now. And IMHO i think teflon coating does work it wouldn't prevent hard scratches but it does protect from tiny ones and the gloss and shine is amazing.

I guess u should keep a empty cardboard carton or something on the roof at night it should do the trick.

cheers
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 06:09   #10
BHPian

How about one of these:

http://edition.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/...e.thrower.car/

Ashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 06:09   #11
BHPian

Agree with you guys on the impact siren on car security systems, they can be a real pain. They can go off when there is a cracker burst, when dogs like great danes bark, when a truck goes very close to your car or even at the sound of my header . Your neighbours will curse you like I curse mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar
And for the ugly scratches get it to a good painting guy and ask his advice because at times they can fix minute scratches by applying some paste and then wiping it off. I appologise if this is a wrong info but i got a small strach made by a bike guy fixed this way.
This "some paste" is called rubbing compound and 3M makes the best ones. I use 3M Finesse(Rs.50 for a small box) to get rid of small scratches myself. For deeper ones, take it to a painter.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 17:19   #12
BHPian

thanks for the response you guys
yesterday night a scooter was parked horizontally in front of my car and i didnt find any new scaraches today...

guess next thing to do will be getting a scooter....

Not thinking of any alarms but i think i am gonna get my car teflon coated.... atleast for the shine..
Old 4th May 2006, 17:21   #13
BHPian

and Ashok....
that was firey
Old 4th May 2006, 21:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This "some paste" is called rubbing compound and 3M makes the best ones. I use 3M Finesse(Rs.50 for a small box) to get rid of small scratches myself. For deeper ones, take it to a painter.[/quote]

Thanks very much for the info and the price, but the painting guy usually charges me 100 Rs for rubbing and polishing. I do not know how many times will a 50 Rs box last for. Can you use it more than once? I have also seen the painting guy applying a lot of strength for the job. Is it really easy to use this compound? kindly excuse my ignorance.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 21:13   #15
BHPian

My dads car mysteriously seemed to get clawing scratches on the roof and hood. it took some investigation to realise that the chickens in the farm used the car as a ladder to roost on the top of the garage.....
Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote