Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd March 2016, 14:49   #61
Default Re: Service schedule of less driven cars; Km-based vs Time-based

I have a similar usage car as yours. My 2011 A-star has done only about 16000KM till date. Most of it is also long distance drives on GQ(Kolkata - BBSR,BBSR- Puri, HYD-Kolkata) and some amount of stop and go traffic of Kolkata.

However I make sure to change the engine oil and filter every year along with the coolant every second year. Nothing else has been changed as of now except the wiper blades. I would advice to get the oil change done and rest topped up every year.

Also I would like to take this opportunity to ask whether the car suffers because of such less usage. Mine is used on weekends regularly (30-40 km max) and sits idle for the rest of the week. Touchwood, I haven't seen any abnormality yet.

Last edited by saion666 : 23rd March 2016 at 14:56.
saion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 14:59   #62

There is an expiry date for consumables like oil, tyres etc. Stick to those times. For example, tyres are changed every 5 years no matter the mileage or as soon as they develop cracks.

Generally gearbox is sealed for life. So, no changing of fluids there. Please check your service manual if it says that at 1 lakh km, if there is a need to change oil. Then it means that your gearbox is not sealed for life and the life of gearbox fluid is generally 5 years. Do check to confirm it.

Engine oil change depends on the kms run or the expiry. Since your car is run for less number of kms, it makes sense to do oil change according to the age of oil. If I remember right, for normal oils, it is 2 years. For synthetic oils, it is 5years. And this time, don't go for synthetic oil because the extra money paid is not justifiable. Synthetic oils make most sense for high usage cars.

Coolant is not that a serious issue. Coolant is just 25% water with 25% anti-freeze (anti-freeze is only used at very cold places, else it is filled with water) and 50% mixture of 50:50 coolant and water. So, all in all it is 75% water. The fluid added is only to highlight the downpour to spot any leaks (if any happens). The other reason why fluid is added is to increase the boiling point of water and prevent drastic falls in coolant levels. So, as long as your car does not overheat, it is not a problem to not replace it. However, I do suggest a coolant flush 5 years to prevent coolant sediment formation.

Mechanical components like shock absorbers can be retained as long as they are useful. My uncle has a Ford Figo and he was suggested to do a shock change at 50k. But he used it till 90k and now, he feels that the shocks have softened a bit and the car dives under braking. So, he got a new one. No harm in that.

Brake fluid should be changed once in 5 years. Or else your ABS sensor or brake callipers will have corrosion and expensive bills might come.

One more thing, your car workshop manual should have all these values written in it. Please ask your mechanic to check it. Or better still, get one for yourself via e-book or print. You just have to source a service manual for any car which has the same engine as yours. In your case, I am guessing it is a petrol and I am guessing it is the same as in i10 1.2 So please check whether you can get manuals for that.

And please note that the times I have given are what I have seen from my experience. I cannot guarantee that the life of various oils is the same for your car. So, please check it.

Last edited by aveemashfaq : 23rd March 2016 at 15:03. Reason: adding stuff
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 23:08   #63

You are doing the right thing by changing the oil and oil filter every six months. This is the correct interval for low run cars with mineral oils. The lub oil is the single most important consumable for an engine.
Being a low mileage vehicle, apart from that you need to look at brake oil and fuel filter. Tyres will need a change at about 5-6 years and 40,000 km whichever is earlier.
fiestarry is offline   Reply With Quote