Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:59   #31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 16
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
There is merit in


but otherwise I fully agree with Ford's approach. Eminently sensible. Though one can say playing (too) safe. Anything else, and I would arch my eyebrows!

Regards
Sutripta
Could you provide your thoughts on why you think that this is a sensible decision on behalf of Ford for the new Ford Fiesta Diesel?

I am curious as just going by the sales figures of Diesels in the same category, the Hyundai Verna and Volkswagen Vento are outselling the Fiesta by a large margin. Even Ford's Fiesta Classic is outselling the new Fiesta. Going just by the sales figures of the new Fiesta, it seems to me that at least the Indian consumers think that new Fiesta is not a good VFM and overpriced for what it offers compared to the Vernas and Ventos in the same segment. Here is a link to the auto sales figure analysis for October 2012 http://www.motorbeam.com/sales-figur...ures-analysis/
ssenhyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:04   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
Is the 1.5L in the engine in the Fiesta only to reduce the excise duty and keep the cost of the car down? Then how come VW and Hyundai have launched a car in the same price range with a more refined 1.6L engine?
Thats where localisation plays a key role you see! Chuck quality, but most of the Fiesta's parts are sourced from suppliers around the globe and I guess this is where it lost to its competitors.
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 19:12   #33
BHPian
 
rambo1o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 447
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay

Thats where localisation plays a key role you see! Chuck quality, but most of the Fiesta's parts are sourced from suppliers around the globe and I guess this is where it lost to its competitors.
The engine is fully made in india and exported to other countries like Argentina. I guess the rest of the car is imported. What a way of ruining the brand fiesta which is a great seller all over the world but is in the dumps in India.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,071 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
Could you provide your thoughts on why you think that this is a sensible decision on behalf of Ford for the new Ford Fiesta Diesel?

I am curious as just going by the sales figures of Diesels in the same category, the Hyundai Verna and Volkswagen Vento are outselling the Fiesta by a large margin.
I don't think a cost increase (even if with a better engine) would increase the VFM equation, and thus sales.
Also other than just the product cost itself, there are substantial costs involved with any change. (Supply chain, training, spares availability commitments, etc.) This is quite substantial if spread over a small volume. For what is essentially now a niche product, making it 'nichier' is hardly a solution!

A manufacturer sees India as a market in which money can be made. I don't think any of them see it as a dumping ground. Not in todays highly competitive environment. The fact that given our purchasing power, the appropriate product for our environment is very unlikely to be a SotA product is an unfortunate reality.

OT. I feel a lot of discussions on this thread are based on the Wiki article. However, some of the statements there are too off common sense. So would like to know far more before drawing conclusions. Or giving it too much of weightage.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 18:07   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
Is the 1.5L in the engine in the Fiesta only to reduce the excise duty and keep the cost of the car down? Then how come VW and Hyundai have launched a car in the same price range with a more refined 1.6L engine?
But ssen, it is now to be noted from our T-Bhp Amaze review that its 1.5 diesel powerplant also joins Fiesta in your worrying fact of downsized engines for India. It is derived from its 1.6 with stroke changes for excise benefits again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
The engine is fully made in india and exported to other countries like Argentina. I guess the rest of the car is imported. What a way of ruining the brand fiesta which is a great seller all over the world but is in the dumps in India.
Very true. But even the parts that they put together into an engine are imported largely. Though heard that, for the competitive pricing of the Ecosport, localisation was done on full swing. Now expect the Fiesta's prices to drop again after Ecosport launch?!

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2012 at 11:01. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:14   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,071 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
But ssen, it is now to be noted from our T-Bhp Amaze review that its 1.5 diesel powerplant also joins Fiesta in your worrying fact of downsized engines for India.
I think SSen was objecting to the lack of goodies, rather than the capacity change.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 18:12   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Hey there,

Apologies for the delayed response & in all honesty, the reason was my lack of familiarity with the term "dead volume". That is why I had wanted to first read up a little bit about it, try to understand it & then revert back accordingly for the Ford engines.

To the best of my knowledge, the head of the 1.4 & 1.5 differ firstly in the 1.5 having a better design for enhancing the swirl of the incoming charge. This ensures better combustion & lesser pollutants coming out of the tailpipe.

The second difference is in the size of the valves, with the 1.5 using larger valves. Initially, I had thought that the valves between the 1.6 & 1.5 were of the same size but they aren't, as confirmed by a Ford Technician.

As for the dead volume, I believe it should be smaller than the 1.4 TDCi because the 1.5 TDCi runs a higher compression ratio of about 18.7:1, while the 1.4 runs at 18:1. But please add on if my understanding of dead volume is flawed.

PS: Thanks for correcting the bore measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
These measurements take it a shade above 1500cc. A bit of googling shows that bore should be 73.5 mm.

How does the head differ between the 1.4 and 1.5?
The 1.5 will need a slightly larger dead volume compared to the 1.4. Is it handled in the head or the piston?

Regards
Sutripta
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 20:16   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,071 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the head of the 1.4 & 1.5 differ firstly in the 1.5 having a better design for enhancing the swirl of the incoming charge. This ensures better combustion & lesser pollutants coming out of the tailpipe.
This would make it a Rev B. It would also make sense to carry it over (upgrade/ enhancement) to the 1.4. Has that been done?

Quote:
The second difference is in the size of the valves, with the 1.5 using larger valves. Initially, I had thought that the valves between the 1.6 & 1.5 were of the same size but they aren't, as confirmed by a Ford Technician.
With the 1.6 being a 4 valve design, and the 1.4/ 1.5 being a 2 valve design, certainly the smaller engines will have bigger valves. The 1.5 valve size needs to be compared against the 1.4.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 01:23   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

No, the carryover has not been done & won't be done. As far as I know, Ford does not have any plans on investing further on the 1.4L TDCi unit.
This engine has had its days (though, its still one of the most refined diesels for me, except the noise) & the best that Ford would/can do is to bump its power to about 85-90 bhp, if required.

Also, what's a Rev B?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
This would make it a Rev B. It would also make sense to carry it over (upgrade/ enhancement) to the 1.4. Has that been done?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 1st December 2012 at 01:29.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,506
Thanked: 2,071 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Also, what's a Rev B?
Revision B
Previously. Dead Volume -> Volume not swept out. Volume remaining.
Quote:
(though, its still one of the most refined diesels for me, except the noise)
Meaning?

Quote:
the best that Ford would/can do is to bump its power to about 85-90 bhp, if required.
That is what I was talking about. The 1.4 and 1.5 essentially being the same engine.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:46   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Revision B
Previously. Dead Volume -> Volume not swept out. Volume remaining.
Thanks for clarifying what the Rev B was all about
But, as far as I know, the 1.5L has always been this way, there was no Version/Revision A.

Also, I didn't understand the context in which you explained the concept of dead volume here. Was it to confirm my understanding of dead volume, since I did not know about it earlier? If yes, thanks a lot buddy; appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Meaning?
When I said that the 1.4 TDCi is still one of the most refined diesels for me, it was based on the personal perception of engine smoothness when compared to the 1.3 JTD (version 1, as sold in India), 1.4 D4D & the 1.5 dCi. The 1.4 TDCi did not feel any less smooth than the other diesel engine options available in similar cubic capacities, except of course the noise & that too primarily at cold start-ups. In fact, I would go out on a limb & say that Toyota's engine (1.4 D4D) felt the worst, but that just may be due to the car I got to drive.

Let me also add that Hyundai's 1.4 felt more refined/smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
That is what I was talking about. The 1.4 and 1.5 essentially being the same engine.
Just include the 1.6 to this list as well.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 3rd December 2012 at 08:50.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 21:54   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 700 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
,,,,,,,
Having booked a diesel ecosport, i googled up '1.4 tdci/hdi issues' and '1.6 tdci/hdi issues'.

The popular opinion is that 1.4 version is more or less a reliable engine, with the only issue reported being failure of injector seals.

Whereas, the 1.6 has major turbo failures. This seem to arise when the thicker oil(when an oil service is missed/delayed) clogs turbo feed lines and resulting in turbo failure. This is seen as a power loss or no 'effect of turbo'.

So, as concluded in the above posts, i pray hope the 1.5 doesn't have any of the issues of the 1.6 tdci.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 08:42   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mil

First of all congrats & I think that by now, you would have already taken delivery of the EcoSport.

As for engine issues, the engine design in itself is flawless when it comes to these low cubic capcity designs from Peugeot, however, the turbocharger's feed lines are what create a mess more often than not. Just stick to a good oil & get it changed religiously as per the company recommended intervals or maybe even a little earlier (like say at 8K instead of 10K if you have been driving in harsh conditions).

Also, if for any unfortunate reason, a turbo failure happens, its always a good idea to replace the oil feed lines as well. Moreover, such kind of blockage & carbon deposits would definitely start showing signs much before such a serious damage can happen.

Happy driving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Having booked a diesel ecosport, i googled up '1.4 tdci/hdi issues' and '1.6 tdci/hdi issues'.

The popular opinion is that 1.4 version is more or less a reliable engine, with the only issue reported being failure of injector seals.

Whereas, the 1.6 has major turbo failures. This seem to arise when the thicker oil(when an oil service is missed/delayed) clogs turbo feed lines and resulting in turbo failure. This is seen as a power loss or no 'effect of turbo'.

So, as concluded in the above posts, i pray hope the 1.5 doesn't have any of the issues of the 1.6 tdci.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 11:46   #44
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 77
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.5L Duratorq Engine - Based on European 1.6L TDCi or the old 1.4 mill?

The longer stroke on the 1.5l reminds me of the F8B and F8D engines. The F8D had a longer stroke than the F8B. The engine with a longer stroke was used in some racing gypsies.
Interestingly, Ford has not incorporated new technology in the 1.5l. And the price difference seems huge between the Ecosport 1.5l and figo 1.5l.
No doubt about the 1.6l diesel that is sold in Eurpean markets would be much better.
Why do some car manufacturers "indigenize" their products for India?
VW does not do that. The Polo hatch can easily beat the Ford Fiesta 1.5l.
Ford calls it the Global Fiesta but it is nowhere close to global in terms of engine performance and refinement levels.
Guess the Multijet-2 with a 1.6l engine should be launched by fiat to teach Ford guys a lesson.

Offering sub-par engines to a country where TEAM BHPians live is not a good thing to do!
Ashok Naik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :( condor Long-Term Ownership Reviews 441 16th September 2013 13:14
From Fusion to Fusion: My Ford Fusion Diesel Plus (TDCi/DuraTorq) Glass Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 87 9th July 2013 19:50
Brush Steel Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCI Duratorq Review 18,000 km update Dieseled Long-Term Ownership Reviews 41 25th February 2010 14:13
Got My Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 'Duratorq' Sxi Premium SriSri Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 49 28th October 2009 16:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks