Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th November 2012, 20:45   #16
Default Re: Genuine Auto Manufacturer branded spares: What's the difference?

Anurag there is no need to go for an overhaul just by opinion instead check the suspension play via the bounce test. Push the car down on each corner hard more than once so that it bounces up and down significantly and then check after removing the pressure if the shocks are oscillating more than once then you're suspension is heading for the overhaul otherwise fine. By the way on the topic sometimes aftermarket parts are really better than OEM ones like the shocks and lower A-arm which on my uncle's Alto OEM quality lasted for 40000KM but the aftermarket Gabriel are still holding after covering another 55000KM. This is just my personal point of view and others are free to disagree anyways.
tacho9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 14:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Genuine Auto Manufacturer branded spares: what's the difference?

Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
...OEM manufacturer and the Auto manufacturer as their own branded spares (Tata Original Parts/MGP/SGP). If you are getting your car repaired outside, they what difference does this make ? Often they charge a hefty premium, so what is the advantage they bring, especially in non critical functions ?
Some of the answers I've heard are
1. to ensure genuineness - But then wouldnt it work both ways - the parts manufacturer can add holograms etc, and the auto manufacturer's packaging can be imitated too
2. Better spec/quality/tolerances - Is this true?
Sometimes, the better specs/quality/tolerances apply to the after-market non-OEM spare, rather than the OEM one. But then, it's a matter of learning / knowing by experience. Your FNG is in a good position to advise you about this when it comes to common cars like Indicas, 800s, Swifts etc., but as Spike said...
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
If not sure, it is advisable not to try this on your personal vehicle.
+1. If my FNG or I have no clue about the quality or manufacturing process of some weird Chinese company which supplies compatible filters / brake pads / spark plugs for my car, I run in the opposite direction (even if the product is more/less expensive and / or someone is trying to explain that it is OE fitment in every space shuttle that ever took off! )
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote