Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th November 2012, 18:25   #1

Default Hyundai Sonata - Central Locking Issue

Hi
I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata which is my sole mode of transport for last 2 years. The car when bought was provided with 2 central locking fobs but I was told by the dealer that it does not work.
I was kind of OK with it and lived with it.
It was just a week ago I was looking into fuse panel I realised that the fuse for central locking is absent. I immpediately put one and I get a response.

The car unlocks all doors and hazard light blinks.
With the other swich the trunk opens with a remote.

The issue is the car does not lock with the remote or from the driver side door.
So I have to manually lock all 4 doors.

Would someone be able to point out the faulty part so I can do it myself(hopefully)

Kind regards
Piyush.
piyush350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 02:21   #2
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Sonata - Central Locking Issue

Hi Piyush ,

Most probably its the central locking actuator located inside the driver door. Get it checked / Replaced.
spookey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 05:16   #3

Hi Spookey
Thanks for the response.
Is there a way to check it.
I want to go the DIY route.

Thanks
Piyush
piyush350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 05:33   #4
BHPian

I think you should get it checked with an authorised Hyundai A.S.S. There is a system called ETACS which is a keyless security system for the car. That module could have gone bad, shorted-out etc. Maybe a simple re-programming of the keys with the ETACS will do the trick. All this can only be done via a knowledgeable techniian at the Hyundai A.S.S., preferably one that services a lot of the premium hyundai cars.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 22:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Sonata - Central Locking Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I think you should get it checked with an authorised Hyundai A.S.S. There is a system called ETACS which is a keyless security system for the car. That module could have gone bad, shorted-out etc. Maybe a simple re-programming of the keys with the ETACS will do the trick. All this can only be done via a knowledgeable techniian at the Hyundai A.S.S., preferably one that services a lot of the premium hyundai cars.
Thanks. My 2008 Verna has recently developed the same problem as Piyush. A visit to the HASS beckons.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 15:46   #6
BHPian

Team/experts
Sorry for revoking an old thread.

Need some help. Recently, my Santro has developed some issue on its central locking. The central locking does not respond(Read lock or unlock) while clicking the remote button. Initially, I thought it could be remote battery issue and replaced the same. It does not work even with new remote battery

When I tried taking the remote very close to the car (Driver seat glass), it works after repeated clicks. But, does not respond when remote button is pressed from a distance(Even 2-3 meters)

Please help on what could have gone wrong?
gkveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 16:23   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Team/experts
Sorry for revoking an old thread.

Need some help. Recently, my Santro has developed some issue on its central locking. The central locking does not respond(Read lock or unlock) while clicking the remote button. Initially, I thought it could be remote battery issue and replaced the same. It does not work even with new remote battery
Common issue will be with the remote. Hence, try replacing the remote and check if it works fine. The switches might need replacement or if both switches are not working, one of the ICs of the remote would have been damaged due to fall/liquid damage. I had this issue with my SX4 where the remote would repeatedly bang the area around the keyhole when going over rough roads. Hence, both the remotes went kaput in some time with the same issue. They would work intermittently and after resoldering an IC a few times and making it work, the remotes would finally give up. Hence, I brought a new remote and one which integrates into the key. That solved the problem for me.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 16:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Common issue will be with the remote.
Thanks Audioholic. Your post reminded me that there is one MORE original unused remote.

I will try with another remote to see if that works normally. This eliminates the doubt of whether the remote is the culprit OR the locking System within the car.

If the culprit is remote, is there anyone in Bangalore who can examine and repair the remote alone? Please let me know if you have any contacts.

Thanks again for this post !
gkveda is offline   Reply With Quote