Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th June 2015, 14:52   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Random power drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thank you ssjr0498. Mine is the ZXi version (petrol) top end. I did try the method you suggested, slowly releasing the clutch in 1st gear, but if I do so, the car is either getting stuck at the same spot (engine running) or stalls.

Its very very embarrassing situation and just makes me angry every time. I am not sure if my car has all the tech that you told, but it is just not right with my car. I am a biker at heart, and to me this is just discouraging.
Please pardon my ignorance, all this while I thought you had the "Diesel" Dzire! Now then, a petrol should not behave like this!!

Please try out the following, on a level ground with sparse traffic or if possible on an isolated stretch, try these steps in order

1. Pull the handbrake all the way (real hard)
2. Start the car and put it in 3rd or 4th gear
3. With the foot off the accelerator, relese the clutch very slowly till it reaches the bite point and hold it there
4. Notice the behaviour of the car, check if it shut immediately or was it vibrating/struggling to move ahead and then it died!!

All this "natak" to check if you somehow have a worn out clutch. If it shut immediately, the clutch seems to be fine, if it shudders, then you have a slipping clutch. Now, if its a slipping clutch, the revvs would climb whereas the speed wouldn't, specially on an incline.

Other than that, unless you have a "LAYER'S" of foot mat, stuck between your "A" pedal OR you are extremely low on fuel and the incline is very steep so as to starve the engine of fuel (in which case, it will sputter),I can't think of anything at the moment that could cause your dzire to behave in this fashion!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 25th June 2015 at 14:57.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 15:12   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Please pardon my ignorance, all this while I thought you had the "Diesel" Dzire! Now then, a petrol should not behave like this!!.......
Yup. Will report back next Monday after trying this out over weekend. Thanks and happy weekend ssjr0498.
prithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 15:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ssjr0498. It is true what you said. But, my car either stays put or stalls when I try your method. Its just irritating.

Any idea if this has anything to do with fuel pump since accelerator doesn't seem to help in this case at all ?
Prithm, I have observed the similar behavior on my uncle's Ritz VXI (Petrol) many times. Usually, if I have to start from an incline with a fully loaded car, I punch the accelerator & release the clutch simultaneously. Petrol Cars in India (Except TJET) wouldn't have that much torque as diesels to pull the car from an incline without additional input. I think there is no issue with the car.

Additionally, does your car do this snail pace thing on the normal roads too? How many kms did your car run? And the Traffic Junction you mentioned is it the Jubilee Hills one?

Last edited by 90Horses : 25th June 2015 at 15:49. Reason: More information
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2015, 11:15   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Prithm, I have observed the similar behavior on my uncle's Ritz VXI (Petrol) many times. Usually, if I have to start from an incline with a fully loaded car, I punch the accelerator & release the clutch simultaneously. Petrol Cars in India (Except TJET) ...
Thanks 90horses. This has been happening regularly with my DZire ZXi inspite of being brand new and with minimal load. It does not matter if I carry heavy luggages or passengers, but just that it just moves at snails pace. Certainly not expected from a petrol car.

And bingo on the locations. I live in Jubilee Hills Road 10, and face this issue at the Pedamma temple signal leading towards Venkatagiri (near Hazzle Ice Cream Shop). That incline is about 30 degrees, and most of the cars zoom past without any issue even if they are fully loaded.
Old 29th June 2015, 11:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Will report back next Monday after trying this out over weekend. Thanks and happy weekend ssjr0498.
Hi ssjr0498, I tried it over this weekend with no luggage or passenger. And its the same. It feels as if 1st gear is just running without biting the clutch. It actually at snails pace even if I floor the gas pedal. But, the moment it reaches the flat ground, it just goes out of control. I am no rally grade driver, but my skills are enough to drive in city. Any thoughts ?
Old 29th June 2015, 11:29   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks 90horses. This has been happening regularly with my DZire ZXi inspite of being brand new and with minimal load. It does not matter if I carry heavy luggages or passengers, but just that it just moves at snails pace. Certainly not expected from a petrol car.

And bingo on the locations. I live in Jubilee Hills Road 10, and face this issue at the Pedamma temple signal leading towards Venkatagiri (near Hazzle Ice Cream Shop). That incline is about 30 degrees, and most of the cars zoom past without any issue even if they are fully loaded.
Did you discuss with any service personnel on phone about this issue, if not do it immediately?

My in law also faced similar issue in his Ritz and eventually he faced a snapped clutch cable. I am smelling some clutch related issue here, have it checked soon.
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
90Horses : Did you discuss with any service personnel on phone about this issue, if not do it immediately?
I bought it from Gem Motors Hyderguda, who in their brilliant knowledge and expertise say my car does not come with a A/C cabin filter and say its an added accessory that I need to put my hard earned cash after buying their top end version of car.

This week, I did a little juggling with the clutch and found that I need to keep the RPM atleast 1.7-1.8 K to make the car ready for incline climb, but the moment I reduce RPM, car starts to sink.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I bought it from Gem Motors Hyderguda, who in their brilliant knowledge and expertise say my car does not come with a A/C cabin filter and say its an added accessory that I need to put my hard earned cash after buying their top end version of car.

This week, I did a little juggling with the clutch and found that I need to keep the RPM atleast 1.7-1.8 K to make the car ready for incline climb, but the moment I reduce RPM, car starts to sink.
Some cars don't come with cabin filter, you can get it from Bosch or Suzuki itself, it might cost you less than 700.
Old 6th July 2015, 10:46   #69
BHPian

Quote:
90Horses Some cars don't come with cabin filter, you can get it from Bosch or Suzuki itself, it might cost you less than 700.
True. No denying that. But, shouldnt we as customers not accept it. Think about it. Home A/C come with filter and the most ironic, your car breathes cleaner air than the driver and passenger.

How can they neglect this crucial part which has direct impact on occupants ? Either they are playing dumb or trying to sell us something half baked.

Does a Rs.300 part not worth in a car that is multi lakh in cost ?
Old 6th July 2015, 11:51   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hi ssjr0498, I tried it over this weekend with no luggage or passenger. And its the same. It feels as if 1st gear is just running without biting the clutch. It actually at snails pace even if I floor the gas pedal. But, the moment it reaches the flat ground, it just goes out of control. I am no rally grade driver, but my skills are enough to drive in city. Any thoughts ?
What were the results when you did those steps that I asked you to, with the handbrake on! By the way you put it, I seems that you have a very badly worn out clutch!
I cannot beleive that the Dzire doesn't have the power to climb a road in Jubilee hills!!

Please let me know what happens when you do those steps that I mentioned! Also, you dont have to be a rally driver to do that . It's for lay men like you and me!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 12:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
ssjr0498 : What were the results when you did those steps that I asked you to, with the handbrake on!...
I did this on Sunday night. As I said, the car stays put and slowly climbs the incline, for this I have to keep my RPM atleast 1.5 to 2 so that I maintain positive vector, and then I have to keep an eye on the sudden power burst and remove my leg off accelerator. I also tried with a Santro, and it works pretty well without any complaints.

As you said either my clutch plate is worn out or is poorly assembled. I need to check this at a local garage instead of a A.S.S since they have no idea and will charge me for it.
Old 6th July 2015, 16:51   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I did this on Sunday night. As I said, the car stays put and slowly climbs the incline, for this I have to keep my RPM atleast 1.5 to 2 so that I maintain positive vector, and then I have to keep an eye on the sudden power burst and remove my leg off accelerator. I also tried with a Santro, and it works pretty well without any complaints.

As you said either my clutch plate is worn out or is poorly assembled. I need to check this at a local garage instead of a A.S.S since they have no idea and will charge me for it.
Unless you know the local garage folks! Please don't get a clutch overhaul done by them! Known devil is better than an unknown one!

Please remember a clutch cannot be repaired!! It has to be replaced. Since you have been slipping your clutch for all this while, there is a possibility that the clutch has burnt and your flywheel has hotspots. In that case, I would suggest to replace both (the flywheel can be faced, but you need a competent guy to do it), unless the mech at the A.S.S says that the flywheel is fine!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 17:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
ssjr0498
Didnt know this stuff earlier. I think the suggestion to get it checked with A.S.S is sane. Let me try next weekend.
Old 4th December 2015, 12:49   #74
BHPian

Facing this problem with my 1.6S Fiesta from yesterday. Throttle is stuck at 2k rpm and unable to navigate the slope out of my garage onto the road to take it to ASS. Revved it on a plain surface and the meter wont go above 2000rpm.
Avinash_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2016, 18:37   #75
BHPian

My Mahindra Quanto (70000 km) has similar problem.

I was driving on highway and after 70 Kms I noticed dip in power and it was difficult to overtake and on fly-overs the car was just not moving without shifting gear. Still it was able to do 90 - 100 kmph on straight roads.

Given the vehicle at Mahindra ASS. They identified the problem as faulty brake switch and replaced it. The Vacuum Modulator and Hose also were replaced (these were replaced earlier when I got Check Engine Warning at at 56000 kms).

The vehicle was fine for one week and again the same issue floated. I made a complaint to Mahindra and the ASS picked up the vehicle for diagnosis. This time the ASS said the problem is with Weak Battery as less than 9V input to sensors will make all sensors fail, and made me replace the battery, but while testing the vehicle on long drive after replacement of Battery the warning came again. They are saying top technicians from Mahindra came and checked the vehicle and they identified the problem as faulty Turbo. The cost of Turbo itself comes to Rs. 62000/- I was not convinced with this ans asked them not to replace Turbo and took back the vehicle.

Later I had a discussion with a person who is dealing with after market turbos. He has after market 2 stage Turbo of Mahindra Quanto which cost Rs. 45000 for a new one and 33000 for Factory Re-manufactured model and both carries 6 months warranty. On listening to the issue, he is of opinion that the issue is not with Turbo as there I don't face issues on short drives.

I am planning to show the vehicle at the workshop in my hometown which has good reputation and is specialized in Mahindra Vehicles.

Does a blocked EGR result in similar problem? The ASS said they checked evrything, so if it has something to do with EGR, the error will be recorded in the ECU right?
dudevarkey is offline   Reply With Quote